iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making cider and playing with old engines.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 10, 2007, 07:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I was on the way to work today and saw a friend of mine out in front of his barn with his cider press out, so naturally I turned around to investigate. :D He had it hooked up to his 1HP International "Tom Thumb" one-lunger. I call this the engine that started it all, as it was his first project that has led to many more old engines. Here are a couple of pictures of the engine and press. Then engine in the back, I believe, is a 7 HP Galloway saved from a collapsing barn.

I don't know much about cider making. There was some discussion about pastuerizing, and how long to let it sit before drinking it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

Drink it as soon as it's out of the apples! 8)
I don't like drinking the pastuerized stuff, and just found a place near work that is selling unpastuerized cider! 8) 8) 8)

Dave Shepard

Apperantly it is illegal to sell it unpastuerized in MA now. :( I don't believe in living too sterile a lifestyle, leads to people not building up any immunities and being sick all the time.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

pasturizing stuff is a sure way of making it taste like dung.

i made 12 gallons of cider this year. and let 11.5 gallons ferment, it's pretty potent now, and taste not too much like the fresh stuff. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

medic1289

pressing cider is neat, those one lunger are very interesting to me, but check out that barn!!

Dave Shepard

Welcome, medic289! Yes, the barn is awesome, it is a story in itself. It is two barns that were built end-to-end. My friend disassembled them and moved them to his property and restored them. Everything you see in the picture was logged, sawn, and joined on site. Unfortunately the roof was in terrible shape, and the floor system of each barn was beyond repair. While I was not involved in this project, it played a large part in my interest in sawmilling and timberframing. ;)

Dave

mike_van

One of our local church's always made cider like that at their fall fair, until the area health district shut them down. It was a big draw for the church, I think they gave the cider away, didn't even sell it. There were so many health code issues, the church just said forget it.  My grandfather had a huge old press on our farm, people miles around would haul apples in. It got sold in '59 at the auction. I still remember all the yellow jackets it used to attract!  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thedeeredude

I love fresh pressed unpasteurized cider.  Its da bomb 8)  Dave, could we get some video of it in action?

logwalker

How about some more pictures of the barn? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dave Shepard

thedeeredude- I don't have a video camera, or a connection that would let me upload video. If you look close you can see the flywheel is turning. ;)

logwalker- I don't have any more pics of the barn. I can ask my friend if it is OK to take some more. He was the one to suggest posting the other pics.

Dave

thedeeredude

Theres a place around here called Hay Creek Valley.  I had my first unpasteurized fresh pressed cider there and it was the best cider I ever had.

bull

Dave it is not illegal to sell unpasturized cider in MA.....
To sell unpasturized, You have to label the container indicating the product is not pasturized and may contain harmful bacteria etc.. *( consume at your own risk)*!!

remember all hot dogs can contain 3 rat hairs and .25 mg of rat fecies yummie and you don't have to indicate that on the label !!!!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: thedeeredude on November 11, 2007, 09:47:30 AM
I love fresh pressed unpasteurized cider.  Its da bomb 8)  Dave, could we get some video of it in action?

We were at it again today! I have video and stills, not only of the Tom Thumb on the apple grinder, but also of a 5hp Domestic sideshaft and a 20 HP IHC Famous. I'll have to figure out how to post to Youtube. Should have something up by tomorrow night. I've had too much cider and donuts to tackle it right now. ::) ;D

Dave

Dave Shepard

Here are a few of the stills from the event. Still haven't even begun to ponder what is involved in getting the movies up on Youtube. ::)

The first shot is Don's barn. Actually it's two barns joined in the middle dating from the mid-1800's.

This is the 1908 20HP International Famous engine. It has 68.5" flywheels, only three are known to exist with the large flywheels. This was the "First Running of the 20" party. I've got a short video of it for later. This engine project is nearly complete. It had a few incorrect parts on it, including a 15HP wagon and cooling tank, they will be used on Don's 15HP project. There will be a seat over the tank, much like the one on the 15HP.

A Domestic 5HP side shaft. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the side shaft side.

This is a 5HP Fairbanks made by Bates and Edmund (sp). B&E must have been a licensee of the Fairbanks design.

This is a 15HP International Famous portable engine. Although it was a portable, it spent it's entire life running the line shafting in a machine shop. It was removed from the machine shop, and put on this incorrect wagon, it also has a repro cooling tank. The proper wagon and original tank from the 20HP will be put on this engine. I believe it currently has a mag on it, but will be converted back to battery ignition with an ignitor. It was also available with hot-tube ignition, and has a tapping for the tube in the cylinder.

A friend of Don's brought by a couple of Franklin's. They are a six-cylinder air-cooled car with an ash frame, and an aluminum body.

A 1922

And a 1926

We are hoping to have another get together next year, and possibly have a few things belted up to the engines. I have a couple of IHC hammermills, and a neat old corn sheller with a little conveyor on it.

Dave

Dodgy Loner

Great pictures, Dave!  I didn't even know what timber framing was before I joined the forum.  All the great pictures I've seen around here have me itching to try it myself.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

Yeah, I made sure to get some wider angle shots of the barn. ;) :) The two barns originally were butted end for end, but when they were re-raised they were spread apart about 8' to accommodate a stairwell. My friend Don logged his own logs for the restoration work, and had a sawyer come in with a Wood-Mizer to saw out the timbers. I've spent many hours talking sawing and timber framing with Don, and his barn project has a lot to do with my current interest in TF. I say give it a try. What is the vernacular architecture in GA? Don't you have a small log outbuilding representative of early period buildings? Where there any timber frame barns in your area?

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!