iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New DOLMAR FAN

Started by Max sawdust, November 09, 2007, 12:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Hey gang.
Well my Husky 346XP broke down durning a job, so I decided to buy from a local dealer who sells Dolmar.  I bought the Dolmar 5100S.  It is a 14,500 RPM, 50cc class saw.

Only put 3 tanks of gas through it yesterday afternoon on an Aspen and Birch cut.  So far it seems to be very responsive easy to use saw.

I would suggest anyone looking for a proffessional saw to consider Dolmar.  I dream someday about having the 7900.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SawTroll

Quote from: Max sawdust on November 09, 2007, 12:04:01 PM
Hey gang.
Well my Husky 346XP broke down durning a job, so I decided to buy from a local dealer who sells Dolmar.  I bought the Dolmar 5100S.  It is a 14,500 RPM, 50cc class saw.

Only put 3 tanks of gas through it yesterday afternoon on an Aspen and Birch cut.  So far it seems to be very responsive easy to use saw.

I would suggest anyone looking for a proffessional saw to consider Dolmar.  I dream someday about having the 7900.

Max

Sure, but the NE 50cc 346xp will do about the same as the 5100S, with less weight and better ergonomics - we have both.

The 5100S is more versatile though, as it has an inboard clutch (instant rim and pitch change).

As usual, that is a trade-off, vs ergonomics and compactness......

It is best to have both, but the MS361 still is the overall winner, not much heavier than the 5100S. 8) 8)
Information collector.

beenthere

Dolmar should be a good saw too...as long as you can brag on it in 20 years from now.  ;D
I can brag a lot on my 1975 Stihl 041.  :)

Real important is the dealer support. With that, most saw brands will cut it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RSteiner

I've had two Dolmars years ago they were really nice saws.  I looked at the 5100S and was real impressed.  I think that will be my next saw.

Randy
Randy

bull

I have had a 114 and 115 dolmar since 1983, my brother still has the 114 the 115 is a parts saw, was run over by tractor about 1992...... great saws, dealer died in 1994 switched to husky as my brother in law was a dealer by then.. "he's out of buisness" now... Have a friend who sells dolmar though !!!  im allset for now w/ 7 husky's and 1 stihl

Max sawdust

I know I stuck my head in the ground on the new Husky 346XP no dealer for husky by me and tired of getting parts on the internet.  :-\  Keep in mind all my past saws have been Husky.

I am interested in how you guys make a saw last 5 years let alone 20 :o  My 346xp was 3 years old and had about 3000 hours on it.  Just stuck $100+ into a clutch rebuild, and was not interested in sticking more into it.  Not sure what is wrong, but it high rev's and dies or bogs down.  (Cleaned fuel filter, blew out line, cleaned spark plug, air filter) have gas spark and air, not sure what is starting to go.

I always thought saws from any manufacture that get used alot will cost more in parts than a replacement ???

Am I wrong......

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

logwalker

Sounds to me like that carb needs to have a diaphragm kit installed. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Max sawdust

True Timbers

SawTroll

How to delete a post?????
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Quote from: beenthere on November 09, 2007, 01:22:20 PM
Dolmar should be a good saw too...as long as you can brag on it in 20 years from now.  ;D
I can brag a lot on my 1975 Stihl 041.  :)

Dealer support is way over rated IMO.
I have some 1979-1983 Partners (about 8 of them, I think,lost count ;D) I run and there is no dealers or company anymore. You just have  look for used parts and have back up saws as I do.  :D

Cut4fun

If you want full stock potential out of the 5100S, you need to open up the muffler and run 3/8. If you dont the muffler is just holding the saws back. JMO from testing.

beenthere

Cut4fun
Sorry you don't have a good dealer...or company to back ya up.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Cut4fun,
So how do I open the muffler up ???  Is it something I can do?  (Remember I make sawdust for a living, and only deal with metal shavings and mechanics out of necessity ::)
And yes I am running 3/8 chain (Oregon 72)

Sawtroll,
Why did you quote me and then yourself ??? 
I can not form a "working mans" opinion yet.  I liked my old 346 a whole lot.  I noticed the Dolmar does not rev up quite as fast, but I am liking that so far, when limbing over your head or cutting near a rock, or the ground, I like something other than full throttle.  Boy it goes when you do open her up though ;D
Changed my first chain.  Outside sprocket is REAL nice. 

Max
True Timbers

bookerdog

Quote from: SawTroll on November 09, 2007, 01:21:45 PM
Quote from: Max sawdust on November 09, 2007, 12:04:01 PM
Hey gang.

Max

Sure, but the NE 50cc 346xp will do about the same as the 5100S, with less weight and better ergonomics - we have both.

The 5100S is more versatile though, as it has an inboard clutch (instant rim and pitch change).

As usual, that is a trade-off, vs ergonomics and compactness......

It is best to have both, but the MS361 still is the overall winner, not much heavier than the 5100S. 8) 8)

Are you trying to push that 361 over here to .  LOL

limbrat

One of my retired neigbors came over and got some firewood today. He was complaining about the weight of his old saw and how bad his arthur itus is so i showed him the vibration control on my 510 and he bucked a little wood for me. Then i told him what they cost and were he could get one new. A couple of hours later he came back over and offered me a very well kept 440 and 20. bucks for a new chain for my two yr. old 510. So now he is a new dolmar fan and i have a back up for my 120. I am gona wait a little while before getting a 5100 incase he brings my 510 back.
ben

SawTroll

Quote from: Max sawdust on November 10, 2007, 04:05:54 PM

Sawtroll,
Why did you quote me and then yourself ???  

Max

Good question - I probably meant to make a furter comment, but became distracted(?)   :o

..probably about the accelleration issue, but I don't remember.
Information collector.

Max sawdust

Good question - I probaly meant to make a furter comment, but became distracted(?)   :o

..probably about the accelleration issue, but I don't remember.
[/quote]

:D :D ;)
Glad I am not the only one that forgets occasionally..
True Timbers

Max sawdust

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 10, 2007, 11:36:43 AM
If you want full stock potential out of the 5100S, you need to open up the muffler and run 3/8. If you dont the muffler is just holding the saws back. JMO from testing.

Please educate me why would running a (3/8" or .375") pitch chain create full potential over the .325" pitch chain. ???
Isn't the .325 condidered narrow kerf? Therefore using less power to make the same cut?

Also, Any one care to tell me if I can open up the muffler myself, or were I can get it done?

Max
True Timbers

sawguy21

The 3/8 takes bigger bites and will cut faster as long as the saw has enough power to maintain full rpm. You are right, the narrow kerf chain requires less power, that is why it is used on most saws under 59cc. There is also less waste.
You can open up the muffler yourself with a drill but going too far could result in less power and a lot more noise (plus increased fire hazard). It takes a lot of experience, ruined mufflers, and a few blown saws. FF member ehp is very knowledgeable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chris J

Regarding the revving problesm, I don't know if this will help, but here goes....

The first thing that I check when one of my two-cycle engine tools won't rev properly &/or dies when revved is the spark screen.  If it's clogged with carbon it won't let the exhaust through.  I picked-up a Stihl FS 55 (string trimmer), in very good cosmetic condition with plenty of compression, at a thrift store for $19.99.  Once I cleaned the spark screen, which was almost completely clogged, it runs like a dream.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

TexasTimbers

Welcome Willard. Where exactly do you be? I'm up here in Fannin County between Paris and Sherman. North of Lake Bonham.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Chris J

Thanks for the welcome, always good to hear from a fellow Texan!  I'm in Hugh-stun.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

SawTroll

Isn't the .325 condidered narrow kerf? Therefore using less power to make the same cut?

[/quote]

The .325 chains generally cut a narrower kerf than full size 3/8", but the .325 "narrow kerf" cuts an even narrower one, about like 3/8" lo-pro, but with more cutters in the wood....
Information collector.

Max sawdust

Thanks Willard ;D, Will check it out.  Welcome to FF!

I have been confused about the .325 and narrow kerf.  If that is the case why would cut4fun say you need a 3/8 pitch to maximize performance.  Especially on a small cc saw ???

max
True Timbers

ehp

Alot of .325 if you measure the kerf is as wide or wider than most 3/8's chain cause the top part of the chain is based off of .063 gauge where most 3/8's is based off of .058 .
the 5100 run the 3/8's very well and cut better to.

Captain

I'm with ehp...run it with 3/8", especially with a 16 - 18" bar.

Captain

Trax

QuoteDolmar should be a good saw too...as long as you can brag on it in 20 years from now. 
I can brag a lot on my 1975 Stihl 041. 

Dolmar invented the chainsaw   ;)

sawguy21

Now don't you be starting nothing. :D Dolmar and Stihl were among the early pioneers and there is some question as to who had the first practical saw. It does not really matter,we need to admire them all.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on November 16, 2007, 05:55:00 PM
Alot of .325 if you measure the kerf is as wide or wider than most 3/8's chain cause the top part of the chain is based off of .063 gauge where most 3/8's is based off of .058 .
the 5100 run the 3/8's very well and cut better to.

Looking at a 73LP and a 21LP fom the front when both are on a bar, makes it pretty obvious that the 3/8" 73 will cut the wider kerf (both are .058).
Information collector.

SwampDonkey

WHAT!!? None of you guys have a Partner? ;D The company got merged into Poulan. But everyone I knew around here had a Partner in the 70's.  :P

Dad used his up until 1987, the last time we cut any amount of wood, besides firewood, for selling.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cut4fun

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 28, 2007, 08:02:01 PM
WHAT!!? None of you guys have a Partner? ;D The company got merged into Poulan. But everyone I knew around here had a Partner in the 70's.  :P

Dad used his up until 1987, the last time we cut any amount of wood, besides firewood, for selling.
Got all kinds of Partners here, Pioneer/Partners too  ;D 8).

Chris J

From what I've read :P, many people consider the Partner 500 (5000?) to be one of the best saws ever made.

olyman

Quote from: logwalker on November 09, 2007, 09:18:13 PM
Sounds to me like that carb needs to have a diaphragm kit installed. Joe
as a saw mech--i second that---

Bernhard

Even´as  Dolmar is a german brand, I first have heard about it in 1984.
The first saw we have had at our FVD

http://www.feuerwehr-derichsweiler.de/

was a Dolmar 120 si (heaven knows why) this saw was a pain in the a@@e! It never started, when we needed it, carb adjustments wouldn´t help to make it work better.

Dolmar was underrepresentated in my county and is too, today, same as Solo.

I have owned a few Dolmar after the experience with the VFD`s 120 and I have to change my thoughts about them. Good, reliable saws.

For some german Guys it´s hard to buy a Dolmar, cause the smaller PS 43 was sold in DIY markets beside some chinese saws. It was a wrong decission of Dolmar to choose this way of distribution and infact, it costs them a lot of sales.

Thank You Sponsors!