iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

good book for saplings?

Started by OneWithWood, April 21, 2003, 09:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

All my tree books show the bark of mature trees.  Is there a good book out with pictures of the bark of saplings?  I have some difficulty telling what the various saplings are when the leaves are down.  The winter is the best time to thin stands so bark id becomes my primary tool.  Maybe it is just me, but the bark of a sapling looks a lot different than the bark of a mature tree of the same species. :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MrMoo

One,
I agree saplings do have different bark. I have oaks that are very smooth.
Heck the bark even sounds differnt too. Kind of higher pitched I'd say  ;D

Bud Man

Here's a couple  : Fruit Key And Twig Key To Trees And Shrubs by William M. Harlow published by Dover 60 pages, paperback.                                                                           Identifying Juvenile Seedlings In Southern Hardwood Forests by-Louis C. Maisenhelter 1969 pub. USDA.Forest Service Paperback 77pp.                                                             Textbook of Dendrology,  By Harlow and Harrah --Pub. by Mcgraw-Hill Hardcover 512pp. This would be my preference !Most inclusive and enjoyable.    Enjoy !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

OneWithWood

Thanks, Budman.  The Harlow book was suggested by one of the MSU faculty also.  I am on the hunt for it and I will pick up the dendrology book while I am at it. :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!