iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dombeck Hangs It Up!

Started by BCCrouch, April 02, 2001, 10:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCCrouch

Dr. Michael P. Dombeck, who headed the United States Forest Service for four years under the Clinton administration, retired on March 31, 2001.
 8)

Hmmm, maybe now the USFS can actually try to break even on it's timber sales instead of being in the red all of the time.  Honestly, only in government can you lose money on something year after year and be thought wise and capable.   >:(
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

BCCrouch

Come on, people.  I'm trolling for a lively discussion on the proper role of our government in natural resource management in general and the Clinton anti-timbering legacy in particular.  Nine views and no responses?  ::)  If you're visiting this thread you must have some sort of opinion, so let's hear what you have to say!  
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Ron Wenrich

Being from Pennsylvania, there is very little impact of the FS.  We don't even have very much state lands here.  Primary ownership is private.

So, we really don't care who is in charge, or if they cut timber or not.  As a matter of fact, we would prefer they didn't cut timber, since that keeps the stumpage value up.  :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

alaska_logger

Hi folks,

First post on your great site! I can't give a comprehensive opinion of what the gov's role should be; I do know that it 'roled' right over the timber industry in Southeastern Alaska!

Mr. Dombeck's 'roadless' views(roads kill fish) were puzzling, as I've never known anyone who has seen it happen!

I think Mr. Dombeck left Washington to move to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, to spend some time with the Caribou.(Before the roads get them too!)

Alaska Logger

;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Dale Bosworthhas been named Chief of the Forest Service. Dale is currently Regional forester for the USDA-Forest Service's Northern Region (Region 1)headquartered in Missoula, Montana. He is a professional forester and  natural resource manager.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Mike Dombeck, former chief of the USDA-Forest Service, recently accepted a position as senior fellow with the National Wildlife Federation (NFW). In that role, Dombeck will advise NWF on both domestic and international conservation issues.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!