iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Trash skirting

Started by Raider Bill, November 08, 2007, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I have a doublewide I bought from the repo man to stay in while building in Tenn.
It has no skirting.
I was thinking of driving some 18" #6 rebar into the ground at 24 centers and putting  2x4 pt along the bottom for the skirting to attach to.

The pitch to ground is anywhere from 15" to 48".
Any ideas what I can use for skirting?
Have thought of cheap white vinyl siding or corregated roofing. Any ideas what I can use that will be durable and cheap?
Should I put in vents and if so how many?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Gary_C

If you really want to retain that "trailer trash" look, you could always park some old junk cars around the trailer to block the wind.   :D :D

Otherwise, OSB is cheap now. Should last at least thru the winter. However no matter what you use it could become a home for unwanted animals.  ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sawguy21

Bury some strong mesh around the perimeter and run it up the outside side of the skirting to keep unwanted tenants out. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

limbrat

I think that slabs with the bark still on them would be more in charcter. But vinyl siding with a piece of soffit run around the top would probably work if you wont to be fancy. Ya might wont to plumb your dryer vent out from under the trailer too or the whole place might start smelling like dryer discharge.
ben

sawdust

If you use an old pontiac for skirting then you have all that lockable freezer space in the trunk. Get most of a moose in one o them.

If you just want temporary skirting, straw bales are quite popular around here. LOTS of mouse poison I imagine.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Warbird

Painted plywood/OSB.  Or if'n yer wantin' ta get fancy, git yerself a masonist an' have some purdy masonry werk done.  ;)

LeeB

Metalmart and such places that sell steel buildings usually sell the cutoffs pretty cheap and it makes real good under pinning. You might have to splice a few pieces together to get the 48" stuff. Pop rivets work well for that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

KarenKae

Raider,
Which state is this trailer in? Florida or Tennessee? (Oh I see, you said to live in while you build in Tenn) duh!  a blonde moment ::)
I used to live in Louisiana and nearly everyone there used that cheap plastic lattice to keep the dogs and bigger critters out.  But here in the Ozark mountains, a skunk or timber rattler can slide between those, so folks use something a lot more substantial. Also a consideration is the cold.  Wrapped pipes work ok in warmer climes, but here you have to block the wind or you got NO water in the winter.
I used old pallets around our trailer with the cedar slabs nailed across the opposite direction with insulation (old rags, newspapers and such) in the gap.  Of course, I have 30 outside cats to chase the pack rats, so they aren't a problem.  It was cozy enough for the cats to get in out of the cold as well.

Raider Bill

The trailer will probaley be there a long time so whatever I use it has to last awhile.
The wire mesh sounds good.

Straw is pretty pricey now. The soffitt vent idea around the top also has merit.
Everythings open right now and my pipes are not wrapped so I'm hopeing I don't have any cracks when I get there next week.

No heat either for that matter. Going to look into a wood stove also next week.

KarenKae

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 08, 2007, 03:51:05 PM

No heat either for that matter. Going to look into a wood stove also next week.
OH! I don't know about Tennessee, but in Arkansas you can't put a wood burning stove inside a trailer. ( they do but it is an extreme hazard and the county doesn't like it at all. They have to have been installed from the factory to be allowed legally)  I'd check with your local county regulators to see if you can use one. The alternative is to put a FIXED roof over your trailer and a stick built "bump out" to house the stove. That is done here a lot and seems to work pretty well.  They usually tie into where the sliding glass doors are so the wood stove is effectively OUTSIDE the trailer.  Arky has his cold return behind his wood stove and then used a traditional a/c heat unit to heat the whole house.  The air drawn in from behind the stove is "prewarmed" so his heating unit doesn't kick on much, keeping his heating expenses down.  I am looking at doing something like that when I build my house.

Raider Bill

Well it's either that or one of those direct vent propane heaters I guess.

I have 24 on center ceiling joist and supports so I figure I would have plenty of clearance between the pipe and trailer.
Have used metalbestos and triple wall pipe 25 years ago but I'm sure they have better stuff now.

TexasTimbers

Radiant propane heaters are very effective. They even have safety devices on them these days and they are not super expensive anymore.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

cantcutter

The only people who have an issue with woodstoves in trailers is the insurance people..... A common trick in the north is to yank the axles out and wala....its now a modular home...... wood stove approved.

For skirting I am thinking tarps....or strapping and plastic. I think latice work and soffit is getting out of trailer trashy....oh wait, we mean modular trashy now. ;D

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

Some of these Topics.  ;D

I think there has been a lot of experience.  :D :D :D :D :D

yikes_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 08, 2007, 08:28:32 PM

I think there has been a lot of experience.  :D :D :D :D :D

For me, it's not so much experience as it is too much time spent around the "rez" and seeing how the "natives" live.   ::) ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bibbyman

Someone already mentioned my first thought – straw bales.

But they do make a system just for underpinning a mobile home.  It consists of a U channel that you spike to the ground and another you nail to the under side edge of the mobile home.  Then you cut a vinyl panel product – probably the same as soffit material – to length and slide it vertically in place.

Just don't forget the pink flamingoes and profile of an old lady bending over showing her petticoat in the front yard.   :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Are the vents going on the roof or the skiting?When I worked for the state working on low income homes we would build a 2X4 frame on the ground than spike it to the side of the trialer.The 2x4 was put on the 4 inch way on to the side the trialer.It was a real bother to try to put on under the trialer,so we use to put it onto the side.Than a bead of caulking was put on top.We would put the plwood on to it after we put it up to break the seams.I was suprized that we used plywood due to cost.Than 6 vents was put into the skiting for the summer months to be open and closed in the winter months.I suppose you don't want to hear about the vapor barrier we use to have to put down onto the ground under every trailer we skitted?Gotta love the state at times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

I've heard of putting downa vapor barrier. Actually am probaley going to do that too.

Bibbyman, I just happen to have some pink flamingos I was thinking id setting up.
I will probaley be a bit more progressive that petticoats though maybe something like a brass pole dancer :D

Kevin_H.

In our county and it might even be a state thing, you must have concrete block under pinning if you sit on a privite lot, the only way you can have any other underpinning is if you have your mobil home in a park...You must also remove the axles and tounge, that way they can bump up your taxes...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Raider Bill

I don't think Tenn has any of these restrictions.
Speaking of trailer trash, my favorite is seeing one that has had all the aluminum siding striped off and sold for meth money.
There are many in that area where you drive by and see studs and pink panther exteriors.

beenthere

Quote from: thecfarm on November 09, 2007, 06:59:13 AM
.........................I suppose you don't want to hear about the vapor barrier we use to have to put down onto the ground under every trailer we skitted?Gotta love the state at times.

I gather thecfarm doesn't like the vapor barrier on the ground?  Gotta think that would be a wise thing to do, same as a crawl space under a house.   ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 09, 2007, 08:40:18 AM
I don't think Tenn has any of these restrictions.
Speaking of trailer trash, my favorite is seeing one that has had all the aluminum siding striped off and sold for meth money.
There are many in that area where you drive by and see studs and pink panther exteriors.
:o They are getting brazen.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Quote from: beenthere on November 09, 2007, 10:00:24 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on November 09, 2007, 06:59:13 AM
.........................I suppose you don't want to hear about the vapor barrier we use to have to put down onto the ground under every trailer we skitted?Gotta love the state at times.

I gather thecfarm doesn't like the vapor barrier on the ground?  Gotta think that would be a wise thing to do, same as a crawl space under a house.   ::) ::)

Is this actually bad?  I live in a true modular home built in Canada in the 80's.  It's been heavily modified (walls firred out to 10" thick, permanent crawl space to the ground with spray foam insulation in the walls, etc).  We've also got a ground vapor down.  It isn't perfectly sealed.  The house does quite well.

I've never heard it is bad to put a vapor barrier down to the ground before.  Why is it bad?

thecfarm

Beenthere,think of what Raider Bill said about no siding on the trailer.Now think about no place to store stuff,BUT under the trailer.Now think about living there 3-4 years and STORING all sorts of stuff under a trailer that they will never use.Some would be in what was left of cardboard boxes.Now think about having to crawl under there and remove all this stuff,crawl back under to put down the vapor barrier and crawl back under to put all that stuff back.This would happen while they was sitting inside watching TV and drinking coffee.We did have people complain about making a mess of thier place before.That's why I don't like a vapor barrier.  ::)  ::)
I did not mean it as abad thing.
I can tell you some stories about trailer trash homes that did not cost them a penny for us to work on thier place.This was a state giveaway program.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

thecfarm
You bring up a good point..if under there is used for storage. And if it is, then all the more important to have the vapor barrier down, to keep the items stored less damp from ground moisture.  (IMO)
If for storage, one way might be to cover the ground with a vapor barrier, and then lay a temp. floor of cheap waferboard or even free pallets or throw-away carpet on top of the vapor barrier. Make the crawling back and forth a bit easier without having to disturb the vapor barrier.  :) :)

RaiderBill will have it all figured out, I'm sure  :) :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Vapor barrier for sure.
Whatever I find cheap for skirting I guess. Leaning towards vinyl siding with soffit vents as suggested here.
Not looking forward to crawling under it and laying the visqueen but gotta get it done.

This trips goal is the have 12' of ICF walls up and poured before I come home.
Trailer issue just get's in the way but I shoulda/coulda done it before this. :-[

Warbird

How much space do you have under it?  Our crawl space is about 3' at the highest.  Sure wish when they put the home on it's permanent foundation that they would have gone 1 more foot up.

I've heard of only 2 problems with having vapor barrier on the crawl space walls and no ground barrier down...  moisture from the ground can leech into the house raising interior humidity which is usually bad.  It can lead to mold growth and health problems.  The other problem is dust and mold spores from the ground can get into the house easier.  If you have a decent ground barrier tho, having the crawl space walls sealed can make a huge impact on how easy it is to heat/cool the house.

beenthere

I've assumed (maybe wrongly) that the vapor barrier talked of here is the ground barrier, and is on the ground...not tacked to the underside of the trailer.  That would be the wrong place for the vapor barrier, IMO.
If anything up there, something like Tyvek to help stop drafts (not vapor) would (could) be tacked to the trailer joists.

Just a ground (vapor) barrier on the ground is what I've been referring to here, for clarification.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Warbird

The vapor barrier I've been talking about consists of a ground barrier and a vapor barrier on the inside of the crawl space walls (skirting).

Raider Bill

Trailer has a vapor barrier attached underneath to the bottom. I would lay one down on the ground.

Exsiting one has got vert wet before as the insulation has expanded and the plastic is sagging.

I have about a foot on one end and maybe 4 ft on the other between the bottom of trailer and ground.

KarenKae

Raider,
One other little thing that I did with my vapor barrier was put down some dry lime on the ground before you lay down the plastic.  Really helps keep down mushrooms and other spore types from forming under the barrier.  In the places that I didn't get very good coverage, like up on rocks against an edge, I get fungi. I have to scrape it off and sprinkle more lime, but where I got pretty even coverage, the ground is dry and fungi free. So if you DO have to slide under there for a plumbing repair or such, that is one less thing to worry about.

Thank You Sponsors!