iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stepin' in dog poo.

Started by woodbowl, November 08, 2007, 12:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I've about had it with this new dog. I know it's just a puppy thing, but after about 5 months you would think she would find a spot waaay over yonder somewhere to do all that, instead of right there in front of the door steps.  >:(  I'm not a dog trainer, so I listen to the local buzz and have picked up on a few good tips, but I don't know how to keep the yard clean without pinning up the dog. I smelled something on the way to the mill this morning, guess what it was. This afternoon after work I smelled the same something else.  Somebody told me the other day that you got to rub her nose in it and that will do the trick.  smiley_smug01 Well ..... I can tell you that it don't work on this dog.  In fact it's more like, what new treat do we have today.  ::) 

What do?  P.S. : In order to keep the peace, I'm stuck with the dog.  :-\
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

I think you need to take him for a walk to an area you designate as the poo yard. After he does his business he gets a petting and a biscuit. ;D

....Well I got a couple downed spruce to cut up, so off I go.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

flip

Rubber boots.

Is this an outside dog or (gasp) inside?

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

moosehunter

What Swampy said, praise and treats will get you alot farther than rubbing his nose in it. Dogs want to make you happy. It is thier only goal in life. Show them how and they will do it.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

Quote from: woodbowl on November 08, 2007, 12:24:05 AM
What do?  .....

I have two neighbors that have theirs trained (or by default) to come to my place for that. Should I ask them how they do it?   :D :D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BBK

I have raised and trained several dogs for hunting and pleasure. Training is a joint project for the dog and its owner. Very few animals will defecate where they eat and sleep (ie Home). Consistant training,taking the dog to the "waste area" and praising him for "proper disposal" will pay dividends. They really do want to please you and if you have the patience to train them you will be rewarded with a loyal friend for life.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

asy

Praise and a treat are the best ways to do it.

Don't give the dog bikkies, unless they're DOG bikkies, human bikkies can contain really bad things for dogs.

Also, for goodness sake DON'T rub the dog's nose in it, it can lead to serious sinus infections. It's not a place you want to go. It can also lead to lung infections etc. Also, it's just YUK.

hope That helps.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

pineywoods

Quote from: woodbowl on November 08, 2007, 12:24:05 AM
What do?  .....

I have two neighbors that have theirs trained (or by default) to come to my place for that. Should I ask them how they do it?   :D :D ;D
[/quote]

I had the same problem with the neighbor's black lab. I noticed he usually came about the same time every morning. I started waiting for him with my trusty Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. Just as he got all humped up, pop him on the rear with a BB. took about a week, but he got the message. Same dog, about mid-morning would come down the power line a good 1/4 mile to my sawmill, pee on the right tire, and then go straight back home. I never bothered interfearing with that habit ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

limbrat

Help him mark a new spot. When you take him out take the spoor from last time and put it were you wont him to go. He might be worried about being seperated from the rest of his pack that is inside so he does his business as soon as he hits the yard and tries or waits to get back in. If you make his new spot within line of sight of the door it might help. Get the family pack member that he is closes to to do it.
ben

Roxie

Whenever I get a new pup, I train him to go on Pee Pads (sold in pet supply shops).  Placing one of these pads inside a crate with a new puppy just guarantees he'll go on it.  After that success, you take the pup out on a leash to the area that you want him to use, and put down the pad.  When he goes give praise.  Within a week, the pups I've trained this way go automatically to the correct spot.  Another reason to train a pup to these pads is that if you must keep the dog confined, you can put down a pad and they'll use it to eliminate.  I've dropped back to using the pads when the dog is too sick to let out, or if the snow outside is over 26" high.  I just take the pup out to the garage, put down the pad, and business over. 

Since your pup has already picked a place, I would introduce the Pee Pads to him outside while he is on a leash.  These pads are specially scented to make them want to "go" and when he does, give lots of praise.  It would probably only take a week or so of making certain he was on leash and taken to the correct spot to change his habit.  Dogs also return to areas that smell like they've used them before, so you might want to take some time to get rid of the residual smell near the door.  Dig up the dirt and replace it with cedar mulch, or buy one of the chemical sprays that detracts dogs. 
Say when

ely

my daughter has a cockerspaniel and it was trained to poop right in front of the porch by her taking it outside and putting it down right in front of the porch.
it is now a larger dog and has been trained by me to poop elsewhere. i did not use praise and treats to train it though ;D

SwampDonkey

Are you missing any boots?  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

ely
You just carried it further away... ;D :D :D

Does it have legs?  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

E.B.

I got a new puppy about 3 weeks ago ::) and was living in a apartment couldn't leave her outside so now I got new tennie shoes and new laces for my old boots and one new pillow :D :D never knew how much stuffing was in one of those thing ::) all over the floor. Findly got moved out to my place 16ac. where she has room to run but she 's getting better now she pee's in the floor then runs for the door and wants out real real bad :-X. Puppys are like kids alot of love and Patients and a firm hand they  usually turn out OK  ::)

EB
A day without a Smile is a wasted day

Thank You Sponsors!