iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade dives

Started by joshua5, April 21, 2003, 06:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua5

hey guys, have a question...

we were cutting a cant the other day and the blade dove down at the end of the cut.  i was thinking it had something to do with tension in the wood.  has this ever happened to you?  blade tension?  wood tension?  thanks for any replies.

Neil_B

Joshua5
I had this happen at the beginning of a cut. Dove down 2" real fast. Sure makes the smoke. :o I figured it was a dull blade though.
Will keep an eye on this post.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Bibbyman

Blade dive at the beginning or end of the cut is kind of like having a heart attack - it is life's little way of telling you to slow down.  

In this case, there are a couple of things that could all contribute:  

1) If you've got a log that's been around for more than a few weeks or much longer,  the first few inches of the ends dry out and are much harder.  Sometimes the butt end of he log is much harder just because.   You need to slow your feed rate down going in and coming out of a log that has dry ends.
2) Sometimes dive can be avoided with more power,  sharp blade, and guides in good adjustment.   When you hit a hard end,  the cutting is much tougher.  If your engine sounds like it's running fine and not bogging down,  then suspect your main drive belt is slipping.  Also suspect your blade tension.  In any case,  loss of blade speed causes the gullets to overfill and thus lose it's direction.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!