iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson problem

Started by logman, November 07, 2007, 06:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman

A friend of mine has a Peterson sawmill with a Honda engine.  His change oil light came on so he changed the oil and when he tried to start it back up, it wouldn't start.  It doesn't crank at all.  Any ideas?  I'm not sure if it sat for awhile after he changed the oil (like weeks), without trying to start it or what.  I just know he hasn't used it in awhile.  Thanks
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Haytrader

Is it a 24 HP?
I have a Honda 24 on my mill.  After setting most of the summer, it would not start.
FF member nephew Hack took the carb apart and cleaned it. We blamed the nasty smell to ethanol. Still wouldn't start. Took it apart the second time to see if he missed somthing. While we were putting the carb back on I said "What's this". It looked electrical and had a small pin on the end of it where it attached to the bottom of the carb.

I finally guessed it was a small solenoid and directed him to see if said pin/(plunger?) would move. Sure nuff, it was stuck. He actuated it several times and WALLA, it started and ran. We were about to pull our hair out and sure was glad to get er going.

My wife was the same as out of wood for her shop so the last two days the mill has cut a lot of ERC.

Maybe this is what is the problem on the Peterson.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

I've heard that there is also a "low Oil" shutoff on the Hondas ??? If he never started it after oil change, could that possibly be it ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Define "does not crank"

Yankee Definition = engine does not turn over with the key

Southern Definition (I am told) = engine turns with the key but does not start

Captain

pineywoods

re  -  small solenoid on carb.
That's a fix for the problem of back-firing on shutdown. It shuts off the fuel when you switch off the ignition. My kawasaki has the same thing. (probably the same carb). Pull the wire loose and it definitely won't start. Not saying how I know ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom

You're learnin', Captain.  :D

Turnin' over is the starter's job.  Crankin' is the engine's job. :P :D :D

Pretty soon, you'll be able to do business in Georgia, even.  ;D

Yep, Pineywoods, my Kohler has the same solenoid and it has cost me fits.  All it is is (double word sentence) a fix for a symptom.

beenthere

Somehow, I relate crankin to back in the day when the engine had to be cranked by hand with a "crank"....and now a starter does the crankin, and the result of crankin is "turnin over".. ::) ::) 8) 8) 8)...but then I'm not from (or been there, or wanna be) from the South..maybe explains it.  ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

There is a difference between cranking and starting. Sometimes you can crank( turn over) an engine all day and it will not start. It is important to kow what is what for diagnostic purposes. If it does crank The problem is in the starter circuit. If it does not start it is probably in the fuel or spark. Couse Southern mechanics are so good they know the difference immediately.

Stonebroke

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

QuotePretty soon, you'll be able to do business in Georgia, even.

HAH!

Tom,
You are pretty educated, considering you are from even farther south.
;D
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Riles

I've found the Honda motors to be particularly sensitive to oil level. Make sure you have it exactly where it needs to be.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

logman

Does not crank means the starter will not engage and turn over the engine.  He also tried to jump start it with his truck so I'm assuming it's not the battery.  I will get him to check the oil level.  Thanks for the help so far.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

scsmith42

My Peterson has an emergency stop button in the middle of the push bar.  When it's depressed, it locks in place until you turn the button to release it.  It locks out the starter and kills the engine.

You might advise your friend to trace down the wiring to that button to see if the problem is related to it.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

limbrat

Hammer time, tap on the starter selenoid.
ben

Corley5

The low oil sensor on these engines is near the oil filter.  The manual says to use an oil filter socket rather than a strap wrench to avoid damaging the sensor.  I've never used a socket on my GX670 but am always careful with the filter wrench.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Captain

OK, since we have now determined it is a northern interpretation "does not crank" problem, as Scott mentioned check the Emengency stop if equipped.  It has a starter interrupt.  You can supply voltage to the starter "s" terminal with a fused jumper wire as a test.  In my experience,the low oil sensor will not prevent it from cranking, but it will not start as it will lockout he previously mentioned solenoid in the carb.

Captain

Riles

Yup, agree with the Captain.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!