iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ka-Boom!

Started by Tom, November 07, 2007, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was sitting here at the monitor, minding my own business when something fell on the roof.  Kaboom!!

The floor shook and the blinds in the window shook and the first thing that came to mind was that someone had slammed a door real hard.  I jumped up and ran to the front door, It was locked.  I ran to the back door, it was locked. Hmmm
I went back to the front door and went outside.  Standing on the porch I could see nothing on the roof, so I proceeded out into the front yard.  Nothing.

I came back inside and poured a cup of coffee and proceeded to the TV room.  After a shake like that, I needed some entertainment.  Flipping through the channels, all 400+ of them, I found nothing to watch.  So, I turned on the Fox News channel to listen to the talking heads.  There, on the runway, was the rearend of the space shuttle.   It's tires still smoking from having the binders applied at over 200 miles per hour.  If I had been paying any attention to the date, I would have known. 

What day is it anyhow? :D

beenthere

So she landed...good news. Welcome home again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

getoverit

ya know, I heard it too and thought a tree fell on the house. I went outside and inspected the roof, looking for a fallen tree. I looked up and down the road for a crashed car....nothing.
I blamed it on the cat knocking something over, but couldnt find whatever it was he knocked over.
It never dawned on me that it was the space shuttle....
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Don K

I heard on the radio this morning that the shuttle was landing today and flying across the states. First time it has done so since the Columbia incident. I didn't hear the sonic boom, but I've read that it can be heard all the way across the country as it passes over. I read that if you could travel with it as it passes you would hear a boom,boom,boom etc as it moves along.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sawguy21

Doubt if I can blame it on the space shuttle here. Actually they are laying new sewer lines and the tamper makes the whole DanG  house shake. :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

We were making a delivery today and we were tuned into Rush on the radio.  He was watching the landing and making comments.  One was that it made a non-power landing from 200 miles up.  I don't think you get too many times to say, "Oops,  Can we try that again?'  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Nope!   It's kinda like throwing a rock at a plate on the table from the other end of the football field.

Brad_S.

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 07, 2007, 08:16:14 PM
We were making a delivery today and we were tuned into Rush on the radio.  He was watching the landing and making comments.  One was that it made a non-power landing from 200 miles up.  I don't think you get too many times to say, "Oops,  Can we try that again?'  :o
T'was a big deal here in Rochester. A local woman was the commander. Not even a single "woman driver" joke was uttered. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

getoverit

I hadnt heard a sonic boom since I was a kid. I guess it just startled me when I heard it and wasnt prepared for it. I'm glad Tom shed some light on what it was.... I thought I was hearing things.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dan_Shade

cool trivia:

the space shuttle actually makes two booms, one with the nose, and another with the tail.  attentive listeners will hear a "boom-boom"
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 07, 2007, 08:16:14 PM
We were making a delivery today and we were tuned into Rush on the radio.  He was watching the landing and making comments. 
RUSH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

TexasTimbers

I like Rush too! They are a great band! 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

beenthere

Dan
Like Tom said...Ka-boom (the Ka made by the nose and the boom by the tail)  :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Seems like I always miss the fun stuff while I'm away at work. My dear bride saw and heard it though and caught a few pics. I'll try to post as sson as she emils em to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

KarenKae

Whew! Now I can take that mission off the prayer board!  Welcome home, shuttle and crew!!

RSteiner

I remember as a youngster living in Maanchester, NH there was a airbase on the edge of town.  Back then military jets were allowed to break the sound barrier anywhere they wanted.  Suddenly without warning windows would shake and people would jump as a plane passing over would cross that threshold of sound.

You never hear that any more, it was kind of a neat sound to a seven year old kid.

Randy
Randy

Bibbyman

Back in the late 50's Mom heard her first sonic boom that about shook the house down and didn't have a clue what it was.   We got to where they were common occurrences as McDonald Douglass in St. Louis was building and testing the F4 Phantom jet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

Well, looks like the dear wife missed the shuttle too, but she got some really good pictures of a jet flying over :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!