iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soup!

Started by Dave Shepard, November 07, 2007, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

The weather here has finally gotten cold enough to think about soup. I usually like really thick soups, not too brothy. I could really go for a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup with about fifteen saltines in it. food6 What is your favorite soup? Recipes needed if ya got'em.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

Home made soup is winter's best food. My mom would make a gumbo, beef base with whatever left over added to it. She froze it and brought it out as needed. That and a ham sammich made a great lunch on a cold day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

Potatoe soup with ham or chicken in it, a little cheedar grated on top, and a good thick crust bread. That'll stick to your ribs and warm the insides.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

digin1 digin1 food6

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Raider

Aaah! :) The best food there is soup or stew 8) 8)  Raider

Dan_Shade

i like my soup like a dairy queen blizzard, turn the bowl over and it doesn't fall out :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

I like a good homemade chicken noodle soup. Not the runny kind that you buy in a can but the thick style.

Take a big whole chicken cover with cold water and throw in a quartered onion, a couple of carrots a couple of sticks of celery a couple of bay leaves some thyme salt and pepper. Let simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone. Stain stock debone chicken.

Homemade noodles are three or four eggs beaten with a little water. Add flour to make a stiff dough and cover with plastic wrap and let sit for a couple of hours to rest. Roll dough out pretty thin and cut into strips about 1" wide by 6"s long.

Take the stained stock and add some diced carrots and celery and a couple of bay leaves bring to a low simmer. Add noodles and cook until almost done. Add the chicken and bring back to a simmer. I thicken mine with a roux and some cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

Tom

I like a real brothy soup, especially beef and vegetable.  I'm not talking thin here, I'm talking brothy, full of flavor and hot.  I put it in a coffee mug and drink it.  The beef and vegetable composes about 1/4 of the cup and gets eaten with the last dregs of the broth.  I don't like a soup that requires a fork. :-\

Raider

Tom You would like the Ox tail soup the wife makes 8) Couple ox-tails, onions, cooks all day. Let it set over nite to cool,skim the fat only, then cooks all day on low-med. Add a few vegs, drink it hot with some swiss cheese melted in it OH boy 8) 8)  Raider

Tom

LeeB

I' like the "brothy" soups too. We don't eat a whole lot of soup at home. They have soup on the line just about every meal here at work if you wnat to call it that. More like dish water wit a few veggies and never any meat. Bout the only ones they fix that I like are lentil, cream of mushroom and occasionally one of the veg concoctions that has some meat broth to it(just no meat in it >:(). Veggie selection here is kinda sparse. Cukes, tomatoes, potatoes, some kinda squash that's a lot like cukes, onions and bell pepper. I love a big variety of veggitables and get to craving them while here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

You should pack a bunch of boullion cubes when you go to work and put a beef one in your "vegetable" soup.   That should help the taste.  :)

Shotgun

One of those bullion cubes will fill your soup with MSG (monosodium glutamate).  It's a flavor enhancer that troubles many people.  My wife is a victum of MSG.  Many people suffer, but most probably feel that their suffering from some unkonwn bug they got or from an unknown something that they ate.  They are.  With some, it's a serious allergy, and with some it can be almost life threating. We live in fear of MSG.  It's actually added under about 50 different ingredient names, that are generated by the food industry to hide the actual fact of this hideous material.  One of these synonyms is "natural flavoring". MSG does occur naturally, but usually not in troubling levels. This material enhances the flavor by opening your taste buds. In many it also opens the buds in your entire digestive system, causing extreme abdominal distress, and the consequences that accompany it.

Sorry to drop this on you all, but we live in fear of food with MSG in it.  Have for many years, and will for many more years, if we're fortunate to live that long.  Just a thought for you all.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Tom

Thankyou Norm. I'm sorry for y'all's  malady.  MSG is a subject brought up in many circles, including headaches. 

Thankfully, though, I don't suffer from those allergies.

LeeB

Good idea Tom, but alas, the MSG does a whammy on me too.

sgtmaconga

My best soup it a beef stew

1 pound london broil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 bag frozen mixed vegies
6 red potoes
2 pakages brown gravey

brown the beef until med well. cut into 3/4 chunks. place in slow cooker with can of soup and enough water to cover beef. cook on low for around 4 to 5 hours. this is the part i love. you can take this and freeze it of start it again the next morning.

when ready to start again. add vegies. spuds cut into small chunks and mix in the gravey. i mix the two paks of gravey with 1/2 a cup of cold water. mix it well and pour it into the soup. cook on low for 5 to 8 hours.

will feed 4 to 6 people very well. i serve with sweet cornbread 8)
Measure twice cut once

Raider

Tom my brother from Fla. Punta Gorda, just got here today for Deer Hunting and brought a gal. of Oysters will be Good Stew! :) :)

Tom

Well try not to eat'em all before you gett'em in the pot.  :D

A few saltines.  A dab of tabasco.  Some cocktail sauce....  Something to drink.  Mmmmmm boy!!

sawguy21

Did somebody bring oysters ??? Oh boy, I am IN. 8)

Kcwoodbutcher

Isn't chili some kind of soup? Hot chili with grilled cheese on the side - that's a meal.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Mooseherder

Just got home from a busy day and was greeted with dis Chicken Stew my lovely bride made for me. ;D
This is a picture of my second bowl. I don't care if I may not be able to sleep because I'm starving and McDonalds was lunch a long time ago. ::)
I know she has buillion cubes in there and I ain't waiting to butter some crackers neither. ;D

Patty

Chili was mentioned earlier..it is a favorite of mine. We have several versions, but in the top ten I like this one:
2 cans of red beans with the juice drained off
2 cans of dark red kidney beans without the juice
1 big can of tomato juice
1 onion browned with the hamburger
2 pounds hamburger fried and drained
1 chopped fresh tomato (or canned if necessary)
1 pint of Charlies Slap Yo Mamma Salsa
Season to taste with red pepper, salt, chili pepper, fresh jalapeno peppers, etc....

Cook in a pot, let it cool, then reheat for dinner. This always tastes better reheated a time or two. The volume of each ingredient can be varied as to what you have in the pantry. Serve with crackers or corn tortilla chips (scoops) or corn bread.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

That is pretty much how I make it too. Have to try the salsa. I brown mushrooms with the onions and hamburger. The chopped tomatoes really add flavor. That is DanG good eating with a slice of garlic toast.

Norm

Sundays are my favorite day to make meals that take a long time. It's the one day of the week that I reserve for doing nothing but goofing off. Maybe cut some firewood, maybe go for a walk that kind of stuff. After thinking all week how good chicken and noodles sounded I started on a big batch this morning.

sawguy21

Now that is one fine looking meal. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!