iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mixing two stroke oil in diesel

Started by arojay, November 07, 2007, 12:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

I run offroad diesel in my pickup, i'ts cheaper and way better. Oh sure theres rumors of huge fines if you get caught but if you cut trees for a living your used to stupid gambles with life and limb.And it won't hurt my feelings if the winters warm up around here. I'm pro global warming. :)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

cantcutter

Snowman
You may want to add a disclaimer to your post stating that you don't drive a new diesel before some one on here takes you up on your advice and pumps high sulfur into his/her 06/07/or 08 duramax or powerstroke :-\

Fla._Deadheader

If you blend with Biodiesel or a smaller amount of Straight Veggy Oil, the most important thing is, to BE SURE the lift pump from the tank to the Injection pump is sufficient to push or pull the fuel. ULSD would not be a problem, then.

Dealers like to cancel warranties from using Bio or Veggie, BUT, Duramax, Cummins and Ford have now agreed to small amounts of Veggie in the fuel. I believe it's B20, maybe.

Anyone really interested should check out the other forum. There is a blending board along with Biodiesel and SVO boards. As here, input from all over the world.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ironwood

I would love to hear more, I am running a 2000 PS 7.3, and would love to know how to proceed.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

cantcutter

If you want to run B20 you just need to filter used veg oil and mix it 20% to diesel by volume. If you want to run pure Veg oil you need a second tank, lift pump, and fuel filter as well as a switch to control both pumps. The engine has to be brought up to operating temp on the diesel and then the swich shuts of one lift pump and turns on the other. (this set up does not work on mechanical pumps) If you are in a cold climate you also need to add a heat exchanger to the veg oil tank and circulate your engine coolant through it as a pre-heater for the oil.
Its really not that complicated.

Fla._Deadheader

Sometimes, I get things a little mixed up. Here ya go, Reid

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve?cdra=Y&s=447609751

What happened to the part where you just used one or two words to post a link ???  I don't get that feature anymore ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

All you have ever had to do was cut and paste the URL into the message when you are creating it.

You might be thinking of creating a HyperLink.  That's when you hide the link and rename it in the post.  THat's what you did to this post, but it wasn't necessay. 

The simplified version of what you want to do is something that Jeff created and is one of those things that hasn't made it back yet.  I exsect he'll be looking at stuff like that when he gets back.  At least it shouldn't have to be recreated, just found.

Fla._Deadheader

Si Senor. Usted es correcto.  ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Polly

8)diesel engines produced before 2002 and the highway fuel provided ran fairly well you could add auto trans fluid occasionally which is high in sulfer content up north in winter the highway mix was 50per no1 kersonene and 50per no 2 fuel oil , after 2002 the fuel filters on most engines would stop up if you usedanything but fuel conditinor lykins oil in cincy ohio is mixing 2 persent resturant grease in their diesel if you use on regular basis will clog the filters and cause electronic injectors to start sticking my advise if you can find it is use no 2 fuel oil and power service or other name brand fuel conditinor and dont purchase 2007 model engines until they get all bugs out they are designed to run a higher temp than 2006 engines and the other components under the hood cant stand the extra heat alternator air cond compressor engine electronic injectors and etc   :D and bear it epa would tell you

Ironwood

FDH,

Got to the site yesterday and registered. I could never really find the discussion on what was best for the lubricity issue.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

snowman

I have a 94 F-250 turbo that went through 3 injector pumps while it was inder warranty. Ford dealer suggested useing ATF for lubricity, that didn't get me anything but smoke.I then started useing additives and never had another problem.Now that the gov has made everyone use additives because they have ruined diesel, I can't help but wonder what all the additives are putting in the air. As I said earlier, I now run offroad diesel but still use additives, can't be to careful I figure, injector pumps are spendy.

OneWithWood

To keep the terminology correct.  B20 means a blend of 80% petro diesel and 20% bio diesel.  It does not refer to any blending of straight vegetable oil (SVO) or used restaurant oil (WVO).

Reid, search using
'lubricity' or 'lubrication' and you should find a number of posts.  Like here, you often need to read pages of a thread to find it.  Be sure to search the biodiesel board as well as SVO and blending.

If you would like more specific information about bio diesel processing PM me.  We have discussed it before in the Alternative Fuels board.  If you don't find what you need there I would be happy to start another thread in that board.  Let me know.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

One w/ Wood,

Thanks. I really don't want an indepth. I have a friend that processes fryer oil from bars (he is the maintence guy for a beer dist. and pays the drivers for gallons).

What I do want is an "off the shelf" solution if there is in fact an issue of lack of lubrication i nthe new Low Sulphur fuel. I really have too many other things worry about. I had thought of this issue last spring when the ULSD came out but never saw anything in the market to address it, so I thought it was a non issue.

Ironwood

Polly

8) 8)    i had two ford 1984 model diesel trucks the injection pumps would go bade on regular basis the o rings rubber would harden and start chipping off i thought they had fixed problem apparently not :( :(

Ed_K

I thought it was a non issue too, when I got my first load of ulsd I asked my dealer if it was going to be ok for older engines. They said no problem and I didn't need any additives. I still added the Power Stroke. Now y'all got me wondering? What about a 2 stroke detroit engine?
Ed K

cantcutter

Quote from: Ed_K on November 12, 2007, 06:37:34 AM
? What about a 2 stroke detroit engine?

Are there any around anymore? I figure unless somebody has one in a greyhound conversion that they are all long gone.

Polly

8) out of curosity i wonder what all did use the two stroke detroit i took a course on their design back in late 1950s but not their application :P :P

jackpine

Polly, I have a 353 Detroit in my Tree Farmer forwarder, date unkown. The Detroit series 53 service manual that I have is dated 1985 and the oldest section is dated 1971. Besides forewarders I don't know what else they were used in. But there are Detroit fans on here who will jump in and let us know.

Bill

cantcutter

They where common in large boats and off road tractors up until 1998 or so. They phased them out of on road vehicles in the early 80s. They where prone to "Running Away" and when it happened they could not be shut down and the engines would blowup.

Thank You Sponsors!