iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jugs

Started by Tom, November 05, 2007, 07:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Every now and again, someone changes their packaging.  I've seen milk go from pail to bottle to cardboard box with the hole in the side to cardboard box with a spout, to plastic gal. jugs with a neck and the hole kinda in the center.  Gael brought home milk last night in a different container.  It came from Cosco, I think.  It has a kirklands branding on it and is a rectangular plastic box with a handle on one edge and a hole in one corner of the top.  Rather unique, I thought, but upon using it, found that it is quite functional.  I think I like it better than the roundish looking plastic jug to which I've become accustomed.  You don't have to tilt this one as far and it's easier on the wrist.

DanG cow juice is $5 a gallon now.  It hasn't been that long ago that this household was drinking over a Gal. a day.  Sure glad the boys are buying their own now.  :D

SwampDonkey

Yeah it costs me about $3.45 for a 2 litre jug. In Maine, I think that would get me a gallon, no kidding. I don't know how they can produce Milk so cheap. The numbers don't add up.  ::) Their fuel comes from here. It may be just along the border with Canada where the big price difference is, because I noticed food in Virginia in line with our prices.

I'll keep an eye out for any new containers like you described Tom. But I think all we have are waxed paper cartons, square plastic jugs (non clear) and plastic bladders you place in a plastic pitcher and cut the corner for pouring. I always go for the paper, as you know I hate plastic.

You got a pic to show that new milk container?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Sure don't Swamp Donkey.  If I can find my camera, I'll take one though.  I just don't know what happened to my camera.

Captain

SD, Our government subsidizes agriculture, yours health care...... :)

Lanier_Lurker

:D :D :D

Good one Cap.

Tom, I'm not old enough to remember the pails, but I certainly remember the bottles and everything since.  We had milk delivered in bottles and left on the back step when I was a kid in the late 60s in Dawson, Ga.  There is a lot to be said (and missed) about how much simpler things were in those days.

In fact, the milk delivery company changed from bottles to cardboard cartons before we started getting milk from the grocery store.

(I also remember the big red diaper trucks)   :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Captain on November 05, 2007, 10:04:07 PM
SD, Our government subsidizes agriculture, yours health care...... :)

:-[ :-X :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tcsmpsi

Oh.  I thought maybe you were going to be talking about motorcycles, Tom.  I wasn't sure if you were going to be extrapolating on the lower mechanics...or the upper detachable.     ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Sawyerfortyish

SD a farmer was in the other day and told me that milk was 24.00 a hundred :o I have never heard of it being more than 16.00 a hundred at an all time high. Good for them.

TexasTimbers

I am hooked on Schepps Half and Half and don't even drink the 2% I used to. Since I cannot have dairy products anymore except in very moderate quantities, my milk habit it isn't as expensive as it would be if I was drinking like quantities of the stuff as I used to of milk. That Half and Half is somewhere around $2.40 a quart.
I use it in my java and also when I just have to have a cup of milk to satisfy my continued longing for it.

I even wrote Schepps (they are owned by Dean Foods) a nice letter about a month ago and told them how I appreciated their products and all the men and women who do the daily grind to bring us such a fine product. i also told them their cotage cheese was hands down the best tasting on the planet (and it is). I ask them to post copies of the letter in employee's breeak rooms if they could.

I sent it snail mail not email. In about 10 days, beleiev it or not, I got a hand written letter from the top dog hisself telling me how he appreciated the kind words. tyhe envelope was full of "Free" coupons for produtcs. Not "Buy One Get One Free" but simply "Good for One Free Gallon of Milk" etc. :)

Maybe I ought to start telling every company how much I like their products. I sure do like the look of those new Ford F-550s. Where's my pen! :D ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Corley5

Twas neither milk nor small engines that 1st came to mind when I read this thread's title  ::) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Quartlow

Thats what I was thinking too reg, BUT I wasn't gonna be the first to say it  :D :D

My milk comes in a gallon glass container most days. once in a while it comes in a cardboard container from the store but not very often
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on November 06, 2007, 09:15:48 AM
Twas neither milk nor small engines that 1st came to mind when I read this thread's title  ::) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking of the movie with Bill Cosby and Raquel Welch. You know it? "Mother, Jugs, and Speed". Hey! before ya type a response. I just remember it being a movie about paramedics competing for ambulance services. ;D And Welch's character was known as "Jugs", Cosby was "Mother".  ;)

Tom

Hmmmm.   Why in the world would they call Raquel Welch's character, Jugs.  Hmmmm? :P

SwampDonkey

Well, no sense in beating around the bush about it.  :-X

Texas Ranger

Once more, no, ain't gonna go there, nope.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

getoverit

It is funny that you mention this. I happened to find one of the old style jugs while I was cleaning up the barn the other day. I can remember the milk man delivering these things to our door when I was a kid. If you let them sit long enough, the cream would rise to the surface. MMMMMMMMMM

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dan_Shade

i've been looking for half gallon glass jugs to store cider in.  I haven't had much luck finding them for under $5 each!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Onthesauk

We had our milk delivered in glass jugs when I was growing up in Montana.  The milkman use to deliver well before light in the morning.  If it was really cold he use to just open the front door and put the milk inside so it wouldn't freeze.  Different times..............
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

ohsoloco

Up until a year/year-and-a-half ago I was still buying milk in half gallon glass bottles similar to the one that getoverit has pictured.  They finally went to plastic jugs, and I still don't think it tastes as good out of plastic  :-\  Best thing about the glass bottles was I would often forget to bring my empty for the deposit, so after a while I could bring in three of them and get a half gallon for "free"  :D  Still got three of them in the basement I never got to return.  I'd probably still use them for drinks in the fridge if I could find a package of those paper caps.

Tom

Wax paper and a rubber band works pretty good.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Used to get plastic covers for the milk bottles here, but they were delivered with wax paper lids.

How did we let plastics take the glass bottle?  :-X  The source of glass is everywhere around us.

thecfarm

There is a place here in Maine that you can still buy the glass bottles from.It's their own design.It's a very busy place,only been there once.I've seen a whole sleeve of those paper caps at antquie stores before.
Still waiting for that picture Tom of your jug.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!