iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It is good to have a hook !

Started by slipshod, November 05, 2007, 10:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slipshod

I enjoy making a few bucks every chance I can. One of the best tools I bought for behind a tractor is my Shaver brand "Stump Grinder." Three point hitch mount and needs two pairs of hydro remotes.

Most times I run it on a John Deere 4600 and sometimes on a Ford 5000. The 5000 is rated at 64 H.P and the Deere is rated 43 H.P. The difference is the Deere is quite a bit more nimble then the Ford and I get into much smaller spaces. It would be nice to have 10 more horses under the hood of the Deere to be able to take bigger cuts on some stumps. Overall it is very fast.

The "HOOK" I use is to sell a complete job and folks love it. When I am finished the site is ready for replanting. Both tractors have a loader on the front and I pull the chips and replace the missing soil. The chips I take back to my farm and spread them out at about one foot thick.When the weeds grow through them I add another foot of chips and let it all decompose. Once they are fully decomposed the resulting soil is very very nice stuff! If the customer wants the chips that is fine too. Doing it this way also gives me the advantage of knowing I have not left any snags behind to get called back for.

The "Shaver" sits on the ground while you operate it. The blade turns off the PTO and the machine has one two way swing cylinder and one two way to raise it up and down for depth of cut. The up and down is like a chop saw and the swing is on a pin mount. The three point is used to carry it.

I have had this machine for three seasons now and it has made me money for sure. It takes a bit of getting used to and teeth are not cheap so I make sure I charge enough. The best way to charge, for me at least is hourly. That way I don't make two trips and pricing remains consistent for the customers.

All stumps are not created equal! There are some pines that are a real pup to grind, smoky and full of sap. I love doing Maple or Red Oak as they trow out nice big chips and smell good while you are working. Some stumps I can drop the blade down and chop the roots and pull it out with my four way bucket. A side use I have discovered for this machine is burying cables going to sat. dishes. It make a neat little trench three inches wide fully a foot deep.

rebocardo

> A side use I have discovered for this machine is burying cables

Yep, like having your own ditch witch  8)

Thank You Sponsors!