iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kelvin's urban logging continues... funny story

Started by Kelvin, November 04, 2007, 09:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I can't believe this is true, but the other day i stopped at a construction site of one of the biggest developers in the area as they had pushed up some really awful yard trees into a pile that looked like landfill or firewood, but i could see some brown on a couple of the bigger (24") trunks so i knew they were walnuts.  This is the most pitiful pile of logs you've ever seen.  Maybe 20 logs at most.  I mean maybe a pallet manufacturer would take them, but they have to be full of iron as they just bulldozed the houses and pushed the trees out of they way.  After looking at the walnuts one is split in 1/2 all the way up from being pushed over probably, neither have a clear 8' to them, both are under 20" or so.

I walked up to the excavator who was actually kind enough not to crush me(not found too many of them) and he said call the main office as they were saving them to sell.  Hmmmm...  at least they weren't burning them right away.  I thought this big company spends more on gas in 5 mins then those logs would be worth, how can they bother?

Anyhow i called the main office and the fellow said, "oh, yes, we are getting lots of calls on that.  We were thinking of hauling them to the mill ourselves."
me... snickering
"Actually the owners of the property are claiming that they are theirs and there was a mix up in the contract (i.e. they are probably sueing in each other) but we will put your name on the list and call if they become available, and you can bid on them."
me... Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Now i looked over this "pile"  There are some oaks with maybe one No. 1 sawlog 8' long on them, about 16" in dia., but the rest are literally of the quality i have been loading onto peoples trucks here at my place for firewood, actually worse.  I can't believe that such a big place can have interest in this.  They must have sold some valuable timber recently and think all logs are valuable. 

This is somewhat typical of construction companies in my area.  I've never gotten a single log from any of them.  Mostly they load them in pulp trucks and won't turn off their engines to talk with me about buying them.  There must be some mill locally taking urban logs and actually paying money for them.  Why else would it be so tight?  There is no way that they will make the money to pay for hauling these things.  Though i guess walnut is really strong.  Guess i should start hauling all the walnut out of my yard to where ever they are paying the big bucks for them.
I will try get a photo of this pile.  Its the most hilarious thing you've seen!  Just thought you'd like to hear a funny story,
KP

Thank You Sponsors!