iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 just died

Started by TexasTimbers, November 03, 2007, 11:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

The wind was blowing the sawdust right in my face so I walked to the back of the mill and waited for the head to arrive. It wasn't going very fast. It hit the end stop before I could push the for/rev lever into nuetral but as I say it didn't hit hard at all. It continued to run until I stepped in front of the mill, pulled the clutch back, pushed up on the up/down lever to raise the head a tad, and the instant I pulled back on the for/rev lever it died. I think I may have pulled the clutch handle back at the same instant I pulled back on the for/rev/ lever but can't see how that should matter.

No response electrically at all. No lights coming on, on the panel and no solenoid sounds when i turn the key either way and throw levers.
I just visually checked the 225 and 150 amp fuses and they appear fine.  I was thinking someone might have had a similiar experience. 

I am fixin to start at the battery and work my way out.  :P
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

By the time I located my meter and manuals and walked out to the mill I intuitively tried it again; turned the key and the display lit up.  Turned the key and it lit right off.  :-\

Great. An intermittent gremlin has moved in.  ::)

TexasTimbers

Okay, As I was turning the engine over one last time to make sure I could go back to cutting fascia, i saw smoke coimng out of the battery compartment. The positive terminal was literally melting around one of the clamp nuts and had dropped a piece of molten lead onto the top of the battery.

Both the wires that bolt onto the pos terminal along with the main high amperage lead were loose and so this was mygremlin. I just replaced the terminal with a nice shiny new brass one and man I didn't realize how slow my starter had been turning over lately. I guess it was reaching that failure point but I never picked up on it. Amazing what a good connection will do for you.

Back to work. 8)

gharlan

I guess those are the kind of problems we like, the easy fixes. I have a dump trailer that I use a lot that was build up your way. I have discovered that if you let the battery connections get weak or dirty it will melt the battery terminals off before you realize what is happening. I guess preventive maintenance pays.

JV

Yep, some of those simple fixes can drive you nuts.  I was sawing for a customer yesterday when the engine bogged way down.  Tough log maybe so a little more water.  Finally it died midcut, backed it out, and started again.  Same problem but the engine was backfiring.  Hmmm, must be a fuel problem.  I carry spare filters, so I changed it out.  Now the engine died and won't start.  We have been sawing since daybreak and have a few logs left and all of us want to go home.  I though of my boat when it died on the lake, that was a quick connector.  So I disconnected both and reconnected them.  The engine fired up but was still running a little slow, I shook both connectors and it ran fine.  I have a feeling those connectors are going to be replaced with solid connections.   ;)
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

LeeB

The connectors should have O-rings in them. Sounds as if they are leaking causing them to suck air.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JV

Good point.  I'll check them.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

ely

i dont think your engine should have died because of the loose conection. if your charging system is working properly shouldn't you be able to take the battery off the mill and still have the engine run.

TexasTimbers

I don't know ely that should be true. Maybe I have two gremlins ??? I did notice since I replaced the connector, I don't have to use the booster anymore to start it up first time in the morning. Used to, it would not turn over fast enough to start up cold. Now, it foires off with less than 10 seconds of turning over and once warm, it doesn't even seem turn over once all the way before it growls to life.

But I agree with you, take the battery completely out of a altenator system it should continue to run. I can't explain it. It has not died since the fix though. Not complaining.

Gary_C

Quote from: ely on November 05, 2007, 08:29:50 AM
i dont think your engine should have died because of the loose conection. if your charging system is working properly shouldn't you be able to take the battery off the mill and still have the engine run.

Not necessarily true. Without an external 12 volt source to supply the field, that alternator may shut down at any time. The old generators with some residual magnetism in the fields were better than these new tiny little alternators they now use, but even with a generator if the field voltage drops, they will quit just like an alternator.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

logwalker

Removing the battery at any time that the engine is running can fry the alternator. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

LT40HDD51

Not sure about the new small engines with more electronics on em, but I know with the new-fangled ones in todays cars and trucks, you shouldnt ever disconnect the battery while its running. Ive heard stories about strange backfeeds and such toasting things...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

TexasTimbers

Well if that's the case then it's good to know that may have been the only problem. It's been running fine all day.

I don't plan on pulling a cable to test our theories though.

Burlkraft

Quote from: logwalker on November 06, 2007, 10:57:22 AM
Removing the battery at any time that the engine is running can fry the alternator. Joe

Ask Stumpjumper 'bout that....... :-\ :-\ ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Furby

:D
Yup, he knows how to fry a quad all right! :)

Thank You Sponsors!