iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? 'bout my drive chain

Started by Kevin_H., April 19, 2003, 02:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Hey WM guys, My lt40 is a '97 I bought new, It seems my drive chain may be starting to wear...i have tight'n it up a couple of times but I'm almost out of thread on my adjuster.

I have thought about taking out a couple of links on the hitch side, But wonder if I should just replace the whole chain. I dont want to see it get so worn that it messes with the drive system.

Anyone else had this problem??

I'm getting ready to start a 63 Hr shift at 5pm tonite, yep...I go in tonite and work straight though til 8 am tuesday morning...then I have a custom cut job at 10 am.

Sooo, unless I get a chance to check this while Im at work, It may be a couple a days before I can respond back, (didnt want anyone to think I was ignoring them)

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

DanG, I forgot Kevin was a paramedic. Next time Noble goes missing I will call Kevin_H
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lenny

Kevin
You shouldn`t have any problems removing links.
If you replaced the chain the sprockets should also be replaced as they wear to fit the streached chain.
 I put a new chain on a motorcycle without replacing the sprockets once.The teeth didn`t mesh very well and felt like the rear wheel was gonna come off. :o

ADfields

Thats high speed roller drive chain so I don't think you would ever wear it out doing what it's doing so long as it's oiled so it wont rust.   That stuff is made to drive things like rock conveyors running around 500 rpm all day long every day for a year or more before it is spent, you may have it about broke in good, maybe. ;)
Andy

Tom

I've never replaced my chain since 1990.  I've removed links and made another adjuster from some "all-thread" but the original chain does fine.  I bought one for a backup years ago and it's in a bag in the barn.  Just in case I ever need it, you understand. :D

johnjbc

Don't have a problem with the chain on my 1990 HT40HD but the set screw that holds the sprocket on keeps coming loose and letting the sprocket come off.      ::) ::)  You can tell its loose when the head starts jerking when I retrieve the carriage.
 8) 8)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Tom

Get you some Lock-tite, John. :)

johnjbc

I will put some on next time   :D :D

Neil_B

Hey John, just a thought but is the set screw coming loose or is there a groove worn in the shaft where the set contacts. Once it starts wearing a groove, it becomes difficult to get the screw to hold. I've had to remove the screw and use a smaller drill bit (so you don't ruin the threads) and drill a divot into the shaft for the screw to sit into. May have to get a new and slightly longer set screw though. Could be too that the "point" on the screw is worn down and my just need to replace it.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

johnjbc

New_sawyer
I believe that the set screw pushes on a key not on the shaft. Will look closer next time to be sure. :P :P
Will be getting the saw out to cut a big mulberry tree shortly.  After I change the oil  in my truck, tractor, lawnmower, and a few more tasks to numerous to mention.  ::)    Now if I didn't have to go to work. :D ;D

Neil_B

I never thought of the key. The one on my debarker started doing that as well and found that the key stock had a few wear spots in it and would no longer give adequate hold on the screw. Temp measure, take out the key and file down the bad spots and flip it over to a clean side. May help for a while. You could also get a slightly longer screw to give more thread to torque it down without stripping it.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Kevin_H.

Lenny, ADfields, Tom, Thanks for the info... Looks like I will just take a couple of links out, chain is almost sitting on the axle now.

Tom, you know by buying an extra chain you insured that you would never need it.

Hey jeff just let me know if 'n noble goes AWOL again, we will call out the dogs! ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bro. Noble

I didn't think I was gone that long,  but during the time I was without internet access,  there are a lot of changes on the forum-----new members,  and even a new forum.  I'm having a hard time catching up.  I missed you guys while I was gone and was wondering what you were all up to.  

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin_H.

Shoot Noble, I missed three days and it's taking me all nite to get caught up...I would imagine you have a couple of weeks of work ahead of ya.... :o

Thank You Sponsors!