iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I may be bragging

Started by gharlan, October 31, 2007, 07:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gharlan

Well I knew of an auction taking place in Commerce Texas last Thursday. I submitted a few bids knowing it was a waste of time. I have bought many a tool at auction and always thought I made a fair purchase but never felt I stole anything before. But I can not say that any longer. I spent the last two days hauling stuff from Commerce to Waco. I had to make two trips as I did not think I could get it in one load. It seems I am now the proud owner of a straight line rip saw as well as a push feed 5 head molder. I am now faced with the problem of a shop that is too small to accept any more tools, and finding cutting heads for the molder. So is this a good justification to find a new shop location??? Or do I now just have some good fishing weights??

I am a little concerned though about how cheaply all items sold for. I feel a little like a vulture for buying, but I offered the most money as ridiculous as it was. I am wondering if this was a fluke or is our economy in serious trouble?

Furby

Our economy has been in serious trouble for a long time, it's just now starting to hit some folks that weren't affected sooner.

So how cheap is cheap ??? ;D

Woodwalker

Myself, I hate to try to work in a cramped shop, I'll be neighborly and store some of that "cheap" stuff for you.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

gharlan

Furby I paid 800 for the two pieces. I think I could break even hauling to the scrap yard as I think there is around 18,000 pounds of iron in them. I had hoped to lift em with my 450-B but I was unable to lift the molder. It would only raise me up on my tippy toes.

Woodwalker would I be able to come and give em a rub from time to time? And would you keep em well fed?

MikeH

Wow! Thats a great price. What kind of rip saw and does it work? I paid about $4,000 for mine at auction and it works great (diehl52) it still has little plastic dust catchers on side and very little wear. I think I got a great deal. Congratulations 8)

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

cantcutter

I once placed a careless sealed bid of 100.00 for five hydraulic wrenches that I did not need... well I won them and turned them over on ebay for 4200.00 :) Sometimes you just get lucky.... I have been watching local auctions for milling equipment for a few years now... nothing yet, but I will keep looking. I read somewhere not too long ago about an auction in Indiana where a mobile demensions 128 sold for 3000.00 Wish I had placed that bid. 

treecyclers

Quote from: gharlan on October 31, 2007, 07:58:28 PM
I am a little concerned though about how cheaply all items sold for. I feel a little like a vulture for buying, but I offered the most money as ridiculous as it was. I am wondering if this was a fluke or is our economy in serious trouble?
What you experienced at the auction isn't unusual right now. Cash is tight everywhere, sales are down, costs are up, fuel prices are stupid high, and there's a presidential election on the near horizon.
Auctions are in the same boat. What would have brought $10000.00 a year ago is bringing less than 25% today, in many cases.
My buddy went to an IRS auction a couple months ago, bought the whole thing up for 50K, then sold it all off at a second auction for just over 50K.
There's about 3 auctions a week in Phoenix right now, with woodworking businesses going under left and right.
A year ago, we'd get one or two calls per month for small businesses wanting to sell out. Now, it's 2-3 a week.
Conversely, there's still money to be made in the niches. Here in Phoenix, there are 2 markets that are still very strong. The 1M and up housing, and the ultra-low end ($150k and under, which is silly cheap for Phoenix) market.
Thankfully, my furniture business is oriented towards the former, and sales are steadily increasing, and our client base is growing consistently each month.
Your experience isn't unique. My buddy just bought a 48" widebelt sander in great condition for $2900. A year ago that would have brought triple that.
There's deals to be had, and being that it's an auction, there's no associated guilt factor.
I just paid $400 each for a 3HP 1PH Delta Unisaw built in 99, and a Lobo 3HP 1PH industrial shaper.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

TexasTimbers

gary you stole that right out of my backyard I want my cut! :D

You shoulda hollered at me I could've come watcth you spend your money or at least fetched coffee for ya while you were bidding. ;D

Seriously that moulder sounds like a great deal. 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!