iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Band Sharpener

Started by Raider, October 31, 2007, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider

Need some help from the FF ;D I bought a Wood-Mizer Sharpener off of e-bay. The only print left on the plate(s): 30ADS -----Sharpener    On the AC/DC Converter: Model B : Does any one have one like this,or have a manual on how to use and set it. Have not got a hold of Wood-Mizer yet. Not sure if all the parts are with it but, would like to try my hand with it ::) Thanks for any help... Raider

Fla._Deadheader

And the pics are -----Where  ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Raider

Have a picture in My Gallery, but will try to add it here!

gmmills

Looks like an old manual sharpener. No automatic blade advance or cam to grind the whole profile of the tooth. This sharpener has to be an early vintage. It was designed to manually advance the blade by hand with the head raised. Then drop the head down just ahead of the tooth and push the blade backwards into the wheel. Only grinds the face of the tooth.  WM  used to have a retrofit kit to convert this sharpener fully automatic.  Check with them to see if it is still available. I have a 1991 model sharpener that is fully auto with the same grinding head. They just added the kit from the factory.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Raider

Thanks gmmills! 8) Will try to talk to WM tomorrow...Raider

jackpine

Raider, once you have the basics of band sharpening down I know where you can find plenty of dull bands to practice on ;D Practice makes perfect they say :D

Bill

Raider

Bill: Will try to screw up my blades first :D ::) Then, maybe ::) ::)  Raider

Cedarman

One of the happiest days of my life was when I converted my old manual sharpener into the automated one with the kit from WM.  My sharpening attitude went way up.  It is kind of like going from a bicycle to a car.   Remember that thrill when you got the license to drive.  Like how I felt just watching that blade go round and me just standing there. 8) 8) 8) Oh, what you latecomers have missed.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LT40HDD51

I didnt know they had a conversion kit... wonder if its still available...

My father sharpened blades every night with one of those babies, back when there wasnt any alternative. He said he ground down the face and manually advanced the blade, getting the gullet and riding it up the back. Back then the blades all had flat gullets  ::), and the grinder had a depth stop you bottomed out on. Partnered with this was a plier-style really manual setter, setting blades consisted of giving each set tooth a good "bonk" before each grinding, and knowing how hard to "bonk"  :D.
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Cedarman

And after bonking all those teeth, running it through the "blade equalizer".
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Raider

Update on the sharpener! ::) Everthing is there, but, a 16ga shim that is in the blocks. It is a manual sharpener and no retro fit kit is avalible from WM for it :o so I guess I will join all you olden-timers and sharpen my blades,(will sharpen chain saw chains also) with it  ;D Thanks for all the time all of you put in, thanks Stew for manual :)  Raider

Robert Long

Hi Raider!

I have a newer sharpening system and it sure is easy to sharpen with it, so I clean the blades, pass them on the sharpener, set them and sharpen again.

Sounds like a lot but you can hear that zing of a sharp blade when cutting and it makes all the difference.

One of my friends with a mill pours a glass of red wine at the end of the day and sets to sharpening blades then....this is when you want to visit him.

:D :D

Robert

Raider

Hi Robert: I like a wee-bit of the vine myself :o :o 8) Makes the end of the day smooth out ::) :) Will get some hours on the sharpener and a feel for the steel, then look for a auto one. Thanks for the reply   Raider

Thank You Sponsors!