iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siezed 394XP teardown help needed **SOLVED**

Started by Dave Shepard, October 30, 2007, 06:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sablatnic

You are right . Sounds like the breather-tube for the oil-tank.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forestry Forum sablatnic!

I was able to take the bar off and shove the tube in the hole from the outside. It has a little metal ferrule on the end, and it just sits in there, an interference fit. Now it hopefully won't leak an entire tank of oil out on the bench. :) It's making spark, don't know if it's got a crack in the coil, and it quits when it gets wet, or what the deal is. I'm off to run it in some big maple butt logs. We'll see. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

So I've run the saw about a dozen tanks so far, and it appears to be way too rich. It is running the factory spec 12,500 no load with the 32" bar, but I'm getting a very black plug. I run 93 octane and Stihl synthetic oil. I'm wondering whether it's the high speed of low speed that is out of adjustment. It's got a little bog off of idle that I'd like to get rid of. It is definitely four stroking hard out of the cut, but pulls like a diesel in the wood. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Wait until it's two strok'in out of the cut!!

Ironwood (394XP x 2  ;D)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

yonder

Dave;
I had a good huskvarna go bad--seize up--because the jet screw was set to run at a high rpm which made it run too lean, also a piston  can be damaged using a (champion) cj14 spark plug when the saw should have a cj8, if you use it for long hours.--Yonder
Yonder

ladylake

For the bog off idle open the low adjuster 1/8 to 1/4 turn, that should get rid of it. You might have to adjust the idle speed a little higher as that will slow it down.  Sounds like you could turn the high in a little going by the plug, make sure to check after a hard cut as idleing turns them black pretty fast. Keep in mind for a work saw a little rich( just so long as they clean up when cutting) is better than a little lean. They will have a better power band on the rich side.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Dave,my 394 is all apart and cleaned waiting on Baileys ,pistons were out of stock.Have a 24" bar and spun up a new chain.Sometimes the ignition seems fickled looks like no spark or a thin weak one.I think its just too fast to see.Got to work on my 365 wont idle down might be sucking wind, something loose.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

Today was the big test for the saw. I've run about 15 tanks through it with only one problem, a plogged tank vent. Got that blown out, and it's been absolutely reliable since then. I had a big sycamore to quarter so I could mill it. Ran great, no strange noises, and best of all, it didn't blow up. :D I was running square chisel full skip, and I could really bear down on it in the cut with no problems. Very happy with my $126 complete overhaul. 8)

This was a 10' log, 44"x39". Took about an hour, and two tanks of fuel, including layout and a couple of sharpenings due to a couple of rock encounters. ::)

bandmiller2

Dave,I'd say that was A proof load for that overhaul.How do you sharpen that square chisel chain? have you mastered the hand file? frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I used a Pferd double-bevel file. I think I've got the hang of hand filing. I rocked it pretty good twice, and was able to get it cutting again pretty easily, but when that square chain gets dull, it stops cutting even a little bit.  :D The square filed chain seemed to work quite well in a ripping mode.

Rocky_J

Yup, since I'm making a stump cut almost every time I pull out the big saw, I've given up on trying to keep a square filed edge on the chain. It dulls out in 2-3 cuts on average and then I can't even finish the tree unless I stop and file or swap saws. I'm using a round file on my square ground chain from the get-go. It cuts faster than standard round ground chisel when new and the round filing holds an edge longer than square filing.

On the bright side, all those double bevel files I bought for the square ground chain work great for filing rakers.  8)

Al_Smith

A little trick on ripping is to hold your angle at between 30 and 45 degrees to the log rather than straight across . Hold it just short of pulling long Frence fry type chips or else it will clog up . You should be able to make about a foot a minute in 18" stuff with a large enough saw .

Square filed works great for contests of speed and most likely for the softer woods of the PNW .It's not real good on eastern hardwoods though . When it gets dull it just flat out quits cutting ,plain and simple .

Fact is I'm working on two "trick" chains right now for speed runs but that is all they will be used for .Not worth a shake of a lambs tail for much else .

DR Buck

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 02, 2009, 06:10:48 AM
Dave,my 394 is all apart and cleaned waiting on Baileys ,pistons were out of stock.Have a 24" bar and spun up a new chain.Sometimes the ignition seems fickled looks like no spark or a thin weak one.I think its just too fast to see.Got to work on my 365 wont idle down might be sucking wind, something loose.Frank C.

Had the same problem with my 385 last year.  Turned out to be a pin-hole in the fuel line.  Probably from ethanol.  :-X    repleaced the line and all was good.  :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dave Shepard

05_sprcrw

Ouch!  The picture on the bottom isn't clear but can the jug be saved? If not would you be willing to send it my way to practice porting before I port my 394?

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sorry to see she gave up the ghost on you Mate  :( :( :( :(

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

aquan8tor

Can you give an update on the saw?  Also, its hard to tell from the picture what happened to the piston.  I have a 394 that you've inspired me to try and re-tackle.  There may be hope for it yet...

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

I have not done anything with the saw. If I do, I will probably buy a new OEM top end from Bailey's, as the jug is not salvageable.

The wrist pin came out of the piston and caught on the port, breaking the pin boss of the piston. I've added a few poorly drawn red arrows to the pic:

SwampDonkey

Yip, I seen them cracks.  So the snap ring came off the piston pin and out she worked from the piston. DOH! :-\

That'll be about $90 please. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I never fixed my 394. I put all the part in a bucket, and somebody put it outside and it filled with water. Crank is seized. I've kept everything to use for parts in case I got another 394 to fix up. I never did that either. Today I brought this home:

I've really missed having a big saw. 8)

Reddog

Just lift up the old gas cap  ;D

Quickest fix

Nice saw

SwampDonkey

Chainsaws don't excite me as much as brush saws. None of that bending down stuff. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!