iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you adjust a Farmi logging winch clutch and brake?

Started by slowzuki, October 30, 2007, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

I've got this JL501 farmi winch that had some service done on it a year ago and I just got around to using it now.  As soon as I turn on the pto the cable starts reeling in.  I can't spool cable out by hand, I have to tie it to a tree and drive.

Before the service everything was as smooth as could be although sometimes you really had to lean into her to make it pull a big load.

I don't have a manual and have scoured the web for instructions.  Anyone know?  There appears to be a coiling lever and a clutch lever.  The clutch lever descends to the fully released position.  I can't see how it adjusts with respect to the clutch.

Brian_Rhoad

Your clutch could be rusty or sticking from not being used for a while.

Northeast Implement is the distributor for Farmi winches. They can probably get you a manual or tell you how to adjust the clutch.

http://www.valbysales.com/

Sawyerfortyish

Brian's right call northeast implement. It's been years since I last adjusted the cluch on the farmi I had. But I think theres a nut on the shaft that the drum spins on and buy loosening or tightening it adjusts the clutch

Dave Shepard

On my older Farmi, there is a nut on both ends of the shaft. To adjust, you loosen both of them, and turn the shaft a little in or out to get the desired grab. I would excerise the winch for a while by hooking to something solid and winching your tractor in a few times in a start and stop fashion, as rust is likely.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BBK

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 30, 2007, 01:59:15 PM
On my older Farmi, there is a nut on both ends of the shaft. To adjust, you loosen both of them, and turn the shaft a little in or out to get the desired grab. I would excerise the winch for a while by hooking to something solid and winching your tractor in a few times in a start and stop fashion, as rust is likely.

Dave

Dave has it right. The farmi is adjusted with these nuts and shaft. I would caution though - before you loosten the nuts mark the shaft / nut orientation with a cold chisel. It won't take much to mark it and then you can orient yourself as you make adjustments. It always helps to know where you were before you get where you're going  :o ;D :o
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Reddog

For the manual I had to go direct to Farmi. they emailed me a pdf of the owners and service manual. Just go to their web page and email them. Very fast responce from them.
Mine is a 601 and it adjusts on the drum shaft with a jam nut like discribed above.

http://www.farmiforest.fi/?SKIDDING_WINCHES

I emailed valbysales a couple times and got no responce.

Brian_Rhoad

I have a Farmi 351 but I wasn't sure that the adjustment was done the same way.

Thank You Sponsors!