iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A/C question

Started by Raider Bill, October 30, 2007, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The doublewide I moved onto my property in Tenn has a heat pump that is disconnected. Lines cut by moving company.
I hooked up the elec but need to splice the lines evac and recharge.
Does anyone know what gas to use and about how much? I would of thought something like r-22 but not sure anymore since they changed everything.
I have a pump and guages.
What presure am I looking to get on either side?
Will regular copper unions work or do I need a thicker type?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Qweaver

There will be a specs lable somewhere that will list the type of freon used. I'll bet on R22 unless this is a fairly new unit.  I was still able to buy a R22 unit in 2005 so it's possible that your unit is also. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

submarinesailor

I agree with Qweaver, but you may have a hard time purchasing the R-22 if you do not have a CFC card.  Do you have a vacuum pump to pull it down before you charge it?  And you may want to add an inline dryer.

Bruce

Raider Bill

Yes I have a pump and was planning on installing a dryer. Will have to hunt down some freon. I have 22 lbs of r-12 left over too bad it won't work.

Gary_C

It is very important to use what is specified on the nameplate. There is a good chance it uses R-134A which is a replacement for R-12. You can sometimes change from one type to another but there are specific compressor oils that have to be used with each referigerant. You do need to make sure there is enough oil remaining in the system and absolutely a new filter/dryer.

At one time that R-12 was worth over $50 per pound. I think the demand is now gone so it's not worth as much.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Trax

It will not be R12 or any R-12 replacement like R-134A  that is used in refridgeration or automotive A/C  It is most likely R-22 which is still availble, but the price has just jumped considerably. R-22 units are still sold. If it is high end and a very new model there is a chance it is a R-22 replacement. I don't recomend unions of any type. You should use flared fittings only or better yet braze the line set back together. The amount of freon depends on the length of the line set. Reconnect with a dryer (as mentioned) evacuate and recharge it while running in AC mode up to 65 to 70 psi suction side

Raider Bill

Quote from: Gary_C on October 30, 2007, 03:13:38 PM
It is very important to use what is specified on the nameplate. There is a good chance it uses R-134A which is a replacement for R-12. You can sometimes change from one type to another but there are specific compressor oils that have to be used with each referigerant. You do need to make sure there is enough oil remaining in the system and absolutely a new filter/dryer.

At one time that R-12 was worth over $50 per pound. I think the demand is now gone so it's not worth as much.

Figures, I have been dragging that can around since 85 thinking one day it would be worth a good bit. Missed the boat again. At least I have my collection of 8 track tapes.

TexasTimbers

few residential units used R12. 134a is the replacement for that, but R22s replacement is R410a which is a mix of R32 and something else. But I would stick with R22 as it will be made until 2030 believe it or not.
My concern is that your mover did not cut the lines with a hacksaw and allowing copper chips to enter the line and eat the compressor valves. Hopefully he used a pipe cutter.
AFA you pressure go you can get a pressure card from your local HVAC supplier. Even a wholesale-only supply house will sell you one of those and probably just give it to you. When you walk out the door they will make the comment "how much damage do you think he will do before he has to call someone to fix the mess.?" ;D
But you can do it. You can use a mechanical union on the suction but it is not advisable and don't even think about it on the liquid. It's high pressure and will eventually fail IMO.

i suggest you ask around and get a good ol boy buddy through your circle of friends to come over after hours for a spare $50 - $75 moonlight money. It'll be the best money you spent for a while.

Don't take my comments as gospelk I have not worked for my dad (has a HVAC company) since 1990 and I may have forgotten a thing or two. :o :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ksu_chainsaw

r-22 is the most common refigerant in home ac units.  carrier did make some units that used r-134a, but not many. 
If it was me, I would go get a new line set, instead of messing around with trying to splice the lines.  That way you know that you won't be letting lots of money out into the air later.
Unless, you have the epa certifications, it is really hard to sell any type of freon to you.  all the environmental laws and stuff.

just my 2 cents

Charles

Raider Bill

Quote from: TexasTimbers on October 31, 2007, 08:21:59 AM
My concern is that your mover did not cut the lines with a hacksaw and allowing copper chips to enter the line and eat the compressor valves. Hopefully he used a pipe cutter.
AFA you pressure go you can get a pressure card from your local HVAC supplier. Even a wholesale-only supply house will sell you one of those and probably just give it to you. When you walk out the door they will make the comment "how much damage do you think he will do before he has to call someone to fix the mess.?" ;D
But you can do it. You can use a mechanical union on the suction but it is not advisable and don't even think about it on the liquid. It's high pressure and will eventually fail IMO.

i suggest you ask around and get a good ol boy buddy through your circle of friends to come over after hours for a spare $50 - $75 moonlight money. It'll be the best money you spent for a while.

In days gone by I have worked on hundreds or Auto A/C units as has my son who now has all my A/C equiptment including a recovery system. I'm not scared...............
I may just replace both lines in that it will be the same amount of connections.
Lines were cut with bolt cutters then crimped. Of course I have no idea how much oil was lost.
If this was here in Florida I wouldn't have any trouble getting it done cheap but it's in Tenn where I don't know anyone. I had a local A/C man come out and look at it. He wanted $750.00! Thanked him for his time and showed him the road out.

Quote from: ksu_chainsaw on October 31, 2007, 09:01:07 AM

Unless, you have the epa certifications, it is really hard to sell any type of freon to you.  all the environmental laws and stuff.

My son is Certified.

Trax

Check the service valves on the condenser maybe they pumped the system down and the refrigerant is in there?

Raider Bill

Thank You Sponsors!