iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vietnam Trucks

Started by Ironwood, October 28, 2007, 05:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Just wanted to share a quick picture from a recent trip to Vietnam, the country is the NEW center for international development with money streaming in from all over the world. Construction in every corner of Ho Chi Min City (Siagon) and Hanoi. I love to look at how everyday folks handle common issues differently than we do. I saw hundreds of Hundai(sic) little cab forward duallies with 12" tires, and very large triaxles with dual steer fronts (like some of our old crane trucks). 

I will attach some other pics in the travel section.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

oakiemac

Just curious, what's ya doing in Vietnam?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Furby

oakiemac

Thanks Furby. Congrats Reid, that is awesome. My brother adopted a little girl form Peru. Neat experience.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

Oakie,

We would have loved a Peruvian child, didn't think it possible. We had waited for 3 years for China, things are only getting worse for those families still waiting. Many, like us have gone elsewhere.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Haytrader

I ask this only because I don't know.
Is it impossible to adopt at home?
One of the TV stations (Wichita, Ks.) that we watch the most is always showing kids that want to be adopted.
Haytrader

Ironwood

Haytrader,

Absolutely. Many times children in this country that are available are older (sometimes w/ baggage) If you want an infant, many people look elsewhere. The international adoption scene is ALWAYS changing, it is a constant eb and flow. The other issue in the US is the period (I forget he name) where the parents giving up the child can come back and take the child if they have had a change of heart (I think it is 6 months), that would be DIFFICULT.

Reid

cantcutter

My wife and I looked into adopting..... We are pregnant now, but if that did not work out we where planning on going over seas. There are ligit adoptions in the state but, if the adoption is consented to prior to birth....the biological mother can revoke that consent anytime after the birth. Also there is a time period between the start of the adoption and the finalization that consent can be revoked and depending on the state it can be as long as 2 years. If you adopt out of the foster care system that child is always the system until their 18th birthday.... over seas adoption is sometimes viewed negitively as there are many children here who need parents, but the children in asian contries are living in alot worse conditions than the foster kids here who live with mostly loving families and are fed and clothed....of course there are the exceptions.

And I thought this thread was going to be pics of old US military trucks turned into loogging equipment :D

Ironwood

I did see a number of REALLY old trucks, looked French. Even one 1950's looking Renault (sic) auto probably from the "french" years. I did see several dueces used for construction . Lots of history and iron around that's for sure.

Congrats on the pregnancy.

Ironwood

DanG

Firstly, Reid, good on you and your wife for adopting a child in need of a good, loving family.  That makes me proud to know you, even if I'm a bit jealous of your talents.  That is one lucky kid! 8)

Now about them Vietnam trucks.  It looks like they're about the same as everybody else's trucks these days.  When I took my little vacation there, almost 40 years ago, the trucks had a very distinctive characteristic.  It seemed that the primary transport trucks on the roadways were late model Dodge ten-wheelers, but the maker's marque on them was DeSoto. ???  At that time, the DeSoto name had been dead in this country for well over ten years, so that came as a surprise to me.  I've since come to realize that the corporate mucky-mucks can do pretty much whatever they please.  I'm pretty sure that the name change had something to do with tax breaks or something like that. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

Now DanG, the trucks may have been Dodges with the DeSota name tag, but some of them sure looked like Internationals to me.

If you can not read the name on the side of the truck it says " DaNang to Quang Tri Express"
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Deadwood

Quote from: Ironwood (Reid Crosby) on November 03, 2007, 01:45:06 AM
Haytrader,

Absolutely. Many times children in this country that are available are older (sometimes w/ baggage) If you want an infant, many people look elsewhere. The international adoption scene is ALWAYS changing, it is a constant eb and flow. The other issue in the US is the period (I forget he name) where the parents giving up the child can come back and take the child if they have had a change of heart (I think it is 6 months), that would be DIFFICULT.

Reid

Not to be smart but try being a foster parent. My mom and dad were (and ended up adopting 6 children to the 3 they already had). Anyway you would watch these kids come in with broken legs, abuse, neglect and sexual abuse...only to have a judge look at the situation for 5 minutes a declare the parents "fit" to have them back. That my friend is really tough.

Ironwood

Looks like Vietnam to me, rice patty and trees off in the distance. Thanks Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!