iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

somthing new ?

Started by Homer, October 26, 2007, 06:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Back ground. I own a 2000 Toyota Tacoma p/u. Park it my front yard, have motion sensor lights on garage where my wife and i park. Drove the truck friday. On monday I went to use truck, started it, sounded like straight pipe. Looked under, part of {pipe}missing. Humph! When did that happen? Went to muffler shop and put on lift. Some SOB cut off my catalytic converter with sawzal. There worth money as scrap or used. Dan'g that peed me off. smiley_furious smiley_hanged. Nice ha.  Police say it's epidemic around here.   Homer

Faron

Sounds like someone's lead deficient. >:(
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Dale Hatfield

Its been happening all around. They got a dealer here a few months back cleaned em out.  They cut my aunts off as well same deal.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Corley5

It's been happening around here too.  Battery operated sawzall and they're in business.  Some cat converters will bring a 100 bux
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

metalspinner

That led the news here a couple month's back. (Can you believe that  led the news?!? 8))

What can one do to prevent this?  Can a shield of some sort be bolted or welded across the converter area as a deterent?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Bibbyman

Looks like if law enforcement was up to the task at hand, they could find out where these yahoos are marketing the converters and catch them.

I had the new spare tire stolen out from under our Dakota PU one time.  Went to the local sheriff's department.  Deputy came out and filled out a forum, handed me a copy and told me to give to my insurance agent.  As he turned to go back into the building, I asked if there was any chance of finding it.  He replied as he kept on walking, "It's likely in a pawn shop in St. Louis by now."

About the same time my nephew had an old PU stolen.  They didn't look for it either.  Then about a year later a bunch of kids were busted for burglarizing.  They found the PU in a shed stuffed full of other stuff that was apparently stolen.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Burlkraft

They been doin' it here too. One night in Madison there was over 50 stolen...Caught the guy's the next day at the scrap yard right in town    ::)  ::)  ::)

Ya think they'd be smart enough ta go out of town  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Burlkraft

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 26, 2007, 08:52:35 AM
About the same time my nephew had an old PU stolen.  They didn't look for it either.  Then about a year later a bunch of kids were busted for burglarizing.  They found the PU in a shed stuffed full of other stuff that was apparently stolen.

Was yer tire in there  ???   ???   ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

TexasTimbers

I haven't heard of this one yet. They must still be using platinum in them I suppose.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

beenthere

Platinum, Rhodium, and Palladium...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

It is crazy here. A few have been electrocuted stealing wire. The police are trying to clamp down on the scrap buyers but it seems to be a losing battle. :-\
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

Someone should suggest to the scrap yard that a yahoo bringing in a bunch of good cats is a thief, and that they are recieving stolen goods. Only a muffler shop should be selling that many. If you were closer, I could lend you BoBo, then you'd have the theif in the cab of your truck the next morning, possibly with bite marks. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JD350Cmark

A few months back, there was a guy trying to steal wiring from the inside of open walls in an abandon building.  He should have taken some of his previous profits and invested in a meter cause as he went to cut into his new found fortune, HE GOT COOKED with a bizzillion volts.   :o(I don't recall the exact amount)  He was removed from the building in pieces. 

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

TexasTimbers

Yep we had a druggie get lectrocuted as well. He climbed a pole and was removing the copper ground wire from the pole. He got hung up and dangled there after he fried hissillyself and a lineman had to go up and retrieve the igmo.
Even though it's a fairly small community here somehow I did not persoanlly know this Einstein but i heard several people that i do know, and who also knew this guy, that although he was  quite 'likeable', this was no suprise to them to hear he ended up this way. ::)

Before I wired my home my dad reminded me not to do so until I absolutelty had to as the wire thieving is rampant. He owns a HVAC biz and also an Electric company and they have had to re-wire several new homes after having gone in and done so intitially. He says the builders often don't even get the sheetrock up before the nogoodniks come in but if the rock is up that don't stop 'em niehter.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JD350Cmark

and...like mentioned in the recent trespass topic, the owner could be put in the position to have to defend their self because of these thugs - tresspass, steel, then get hurt/killed and top it off by attempting to blame it on the owner. >:(
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

metalspinner

QuoteSomeone should suggest to the scrap yard that a yahoo bringing in a bunch of good cats is a thief, and that they are recieving stolen goods

TN. law states you must show a valid drivers licencse or ID to sell  scrap at the yard.  That's what the sign near the scale say's anyway. ::)  However, if no one follows up with the yard owner, then what's the point?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Don P

Quoteand...like mentioned in the recent trespass topic, the owner could be put in the position to have to defend their self because of these thugs - tresspass, steel, then get hurt/killed and top it off by attempting to blame it on the owner. 

A favorite line from an old Red Green show. Not everyone that goes missing is necessarily missed.

scgargoyle

I just saw a story here locally (FL) where businesses are building cages around their outdoor plumbing and refrigerant lines b/c they're getting stolen.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Bibbyman

Quote from: Burlkraft on October 26, 2007, 09:09:21 AM
Quote from: Bibbyman on October 26, 2007, 08:52:35 AM

Was yer tire in there  ???   ???   ???

I was never notified that it was there.  I doubt the deputy took enough information to identify it even if it was there.   I probably should have went out to the annual auction they have and seen if it was there.  It's likely be on one of the deputy's PU by then. 

They had a young man commit suicide years back.  The sheriff's department took the 22 he used to kill himself as evidence.  After all the legal maters were over the family wanted the 22 back.  They didn't know what happened to it.  After a big stink it was found.  But it had the initials of one of the deputy's carved in the stock. :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Furby

Quote from: Corley5 on October 26, 2007, 08:15:07 AM
It's been happening around here too. Battery operated sawzall and they're in business. Some cat converters will bring a 100 bux

We had a problem with the new Dodge at work.
They ended up replacing the cat under warrenty........... just the cat was $1200. :o

Dave Shepard

What was the problem Furby? I have been told that about two tankfuls of the old, higher sulfur fuel will plog the cats on new diesels, regardless of brand.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

I don't know much more then what I posted.
They were having some trouble getting it started sometimes.
New truck last spring, drove it today and it has 30k on it.
They replaced a piece of pipe and I don't know what all.
Total bill would have been around $2200 with labor and everything.

This truck has been full of little problems. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!