iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

malting barley

Started by Dan_Shade, October 24, 2007, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

any of you guys done this before?  from what I gather, you soak it in water, let it sit for a while, then you roast it in an oven.  after roasting, you need to remove the sprout ????  anybody done this?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

Sounds like sumpin illegal. I might be interested. :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

nuttin illegal, but regardless shouldn't be anyways...

beer should be cheap to make, but if you go to the homebrew supply houses, they charge you $$$ for barley malts.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

This has been done by folks looking for healthy food for years.  Bean sprouts is a good example.  They put some beans in a jar, sprout them and then put the sprouts on their salads. 

Dan_Shade

tom, i don't care about salads, I care about BEER! 

;D

I wonder if I can make beer from sprouted beans? that would make for a real interesting time the next day

Don_Papenburg

smiley_airfreshenerBean beer emmisions
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jrokusek

I don't know a great deal about barley, but do know that you need the best of the best barley so you can get it to germinate.  I tried it with some wheat and got about a 10% sprout rate.  Man that was a stinky mess.  It all went into the trash.  I wouldn't be opposed to trying it again though!  I didn't have success, but don't let that stop you.

I've wound up mail-ordering most of my brewing supplies, although I haven't ordered anything in about a year or so.  Even with shipping I still save money over buying from the local shops.

BBK

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 24, 2007, 10:13:47 PM
tom, i don't care about salads, I care about BEER! 

;D

I wonder if I can make beer from sprouted beans? that would make for a real interesting time the next day

:D ;D    8)    ;D :D
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

scgargoyle

IIRC, malting is what you do after the roasting. I made beer from barley a couple times- it's a looonnng process. I bought barley that was already roasted to the color I wanted. Then, you 'cook' it in a big pot of water- something like 140 deg. F for a long time. If you get it too hot, you kill the conversion of starch to sugar. The sugar is what makes the fermentation, along w/ yeast and flavoring (such as hops). The barley comes in different colors, depending on how long it is roasted, from pale to black patent, the stuff they make stout from. I think the black barley is a screw-up- the guys roasting it got drunk and didn't take it out in time. Then they claimed they did it on purpose :D :D That's my theory, anyhow. I could be wrong on  some of this info- it's been many years and many beers since I made my own!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Don P

I think that process is known as mashing which does follow malting.

Never done it just used the premade extracts but have enjoyed the results of a friend's who goes through the whole nine yards.

Like Tom said sprouting is the first step. It usually goes on for about a week. The first 2 days are soaks with 3 rinses that include 8 hours out of water at each rinse, then about 5 days of sprouting with turning regularly at about 60*F. From there the green malt is slowly "kilned for about 30-35 hours bringing the temp up to 122F for lager or up to 221 for darker malts. These processes are also developing the enzymes that will be used in the mashing steps. The radical is removed and trashed at this point.

Mashing involves coarse grinding and then covering with water and bringing up to 150 to 160 degrees where the diastatic enzymes work best to convert the starches to sugar. The mash is then filtered to the brewing kettle.

The process is very similar with some yellow grains  ;D

Dan_Shade

i'm assuming the radical is the sprout itself?  how is it removed?  by hand for a small operation?

I have some barley, got it from a wagon out of a field last year back home on the farm.  I want to make a stab at the process.  I figure I can use the spare bathroom bathtub to sprout the stuff, and roast it in the oven, but if it takes several days, then the oven won't work, I do'nt think...

Dana

I combined 10 acres of Barley, If you need more, just ask. :)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

flip

I've doen it both ways, it is easier to buy them than to mess around and do your own malting. My .02
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Thank You Sponsors!