iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fast sprouting acorns

Started by bitternut, October 24, 2007, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

Salvaged these hybrid white oak acorns from the squirrels and jays and planned on planting them when I got home from hunting. Came home yesterday and when I looked at them this morning they had already started to sprout. I picked them off the tree about ten days ago and placed them in a open zip lock bag in the basement.

I never knew that they sprouted that fast. Looks like I got them just in time. They are now residing in my compost pile till they become full fledged seedlings and can be transplanted.

WDH

Yes sir, white oaks sprout in the fall to get a taproot and a head start I guess.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

Wow, that *is* fast.

When you remove the successful sprouts from the compost pile can they be yanked out and transplanted "bare root" or is it better to pull a root ball with them?

I'm going to be in a similar situation next spring with some various red oaks and hickories, and I want to do it right.  ???

Mooseherder

The BlueJays got all my Acorns. I couldn't find a one. :(

Did count 7 airplants though. ;D

WDH

A lively oak you have there, Mooseherder.  I have heard that they produce a bunch of acorns.    You must have a whack of bluejays :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on October 25, 2007, 07:59:42 PM
A lively oak you have there, Mooseherder.  I have heard that they produce a bunch of acorns.    You must have a whack of bluejays :).
Yeah, but they have since moved on. :D
Probably to herd some other fellers acorns to be left only with acorn holders. ;D

WDH

I never like bluejays because they preyed on other birds' nestlings.

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on October 25, 2007, 09:16:59 PM
I never like bluejays because they preyed on other birds' nestlings.
I didn't know they were like that. That explains why the little sparrows attack them.
When that tree was little. I saved a BlueJay that had landed on it from our Siamese who had leaped and got it in it's mouth. Cat's name is Keepa. He didn't get to keep dat one.

WDH

Mooseherder, I am no bird biologist....that is just what I always thought.  Maybe one of our birdmen or birdwomen could shed some light on that.

Lanier_Lurker

I hate blue jays.  I have too many of them.  They are numerous and noisy - and they keep the more desirable bird species away.

And they will attack, kill, and sometimes eat nestlings of other bird species.

I also have house wrens, and from what I have read they are rough on the bluebirds and keep them away.  That must be why I cannot get any bluebirds to use the houses I put up.  But, with all the shrieking blue jays around, they probably don't like them either.  Only birds louder than blue jays in this area are crows and those DanG Canadian geese.

And then there are the ever present squirrels......

If I thought I could get away with it, I would break out the shotgun and have a little target practice.  >:(

SwampDonkey

I like blue jays and their cousin the gray jay. I never seen blue jays attack other nests. I have blue jay, cedar waxwing, robin and grackles all nesting in my neighborhood and lots of crows. And my crows never touch my garbage bags.

The worst curse are the starlings and the English sparrows, both non native.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!