iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bonus Notches

Started by Paul_H, April 17, 2003, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Hi Paul

This place has screws but they are not cheap. You might be able to search on Blue-Ox.

http://www.loghelp.com/fastener.html

Your building looks great, I hope to be able to get on of those jigs before the end of the summer. I am working on a program for a Cat dealer out east and as so as it's done I'm placing my order.

Mark

Paul_H

That's a great link Mark,sort of a one stop loghome shoppe.I have to start thinking about chinking and the stain for the outside.

Thanks

Tom,
When I was 10 years old,I helped my Dad's cousin get a new Barn!  I,uh,burned his old one down :-[
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

:D :D  Have you got a picture of the new one?  .....and the old one?   Sounds like a good story in the making to me. :P :D

sawdust

A blind notch would be the simplest. Many log books can tell you how to do one.

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Mark M

I ordered my 6x8 Dovetailor, should have it by next week. Now all I need is some trees :-/

Mark

ohsoloco

Mark, how 'bout all that cottonwood at the log yar...I mean, dump  ;)

Paul_H

Mark,did you get the saw and video with it? I have wondered how cottonwood 6x8's would hold up if they were stacked and stickered well for a year.

Has anyone worked with it?

Mark M

Hi Paul

Yes I got the 141 and I already had the video. I was thinking about trying cottonwood but don't know how it would work. I was also thinking about just screwing it together green to see what happens. One thing I have noticed with my cottonwood boards is they tend to warp but if I spray them down and turn them over they flatten out in about a day. I was thinking if I stacked up the wall and screwed it together good then when out every couple of days and wet it down them maybe it wouldn't warp too much. I know it would be best to use the heart but some of the logs are pretty DanG big and I could get several 6x8's depending on how I cut them. I might just give it a try and see what happens since I am going to build a little garden shed to start and it wouldn't be a big loss if things don't work out.

Mark

Jeff

Mark, we cut quite a bit of cottonwood, and we cut some ties for resawing. From experience I can tell you, box the heart and don't waste your time cutting multiple 6 by 8's. If they don't come off bowed, they probably will be by the next morning. my guys hate it when I cut multiple 7.5 inch cants because they hump up from the bow and the feed rollers on the gang saw won't pull them along. Usually they are pretty heavy so there is usually a lot of grunting and evil looks towards the sawyer.

On another thread they were talking about stinky wood? Cottonwood smells like urine most of the time. We tell the newbies that basswood smells like fish, thats how you tell the fresh cut basswood from aspen. Fun to watch em sniff the boards. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ohsoloco

Does cottonwood grow in PA?  I've run across some pithy smelling stuff before.

Mark M

Hi Jeff

I think I will follow your advice, what do you think about working with it green?

Mark

Jeff

Working with it green? I think it will be fine long as you dont install your doors or any windows in your garden shed till it dries up a bit and if your wife don't mind you smelling like urine.

Like you said, you wont be out anything really. Have fun and then you can tell us in a few months whether it works O.K.!

Jeff

Isnt that a benefit of the dovetail joint? As it shrinks it pulls the building even tighter?

Mark M

Hey Paul - how about some more pictures of your fort?

Mark

dan-l-b

Beautiful work Paul,  Just wish I had bought a dovetailor when I saw them like Jeff, for around a grand.  They are getting pricey :'( :'(  Dan

Paul_H

I haven't hardly touched the fort since we started on the kiln.I had the 2x6 ceiling in place and the paper Staple, Don the roof and ready for tin.Then one by one,the paper was torn off by the wind  :-/

The main thing holding me back,is trying to source the 1" foil backed rigid foam insulation for backer rod.Nobody has been able to get a hold of any up here.

I'll try and get the tin up soon and take some pictures.

sawdust

If you are screwing the courses together on a dovetail building, keep in mind that you cannot "bump" the timbers into their shoulders to keep them tight as they dry. Robertson head deck screws are relatively inexpensive and can be had in lengths up to six inches. I drilled a pilot hole 1/2" diameter and 5 inches deep. This way the threaded portion of the screw 2.5" is only in the course below. This prevents the logs from hanging up and still allows them to settle down the shaft of the screw. I have a very very long Robertson drill bit! This is my second post I have no idea if it will appear in the right place!

David
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

iain

Any up dates on this topic ?

i like the look of that there dove tail jig

Paul you get the fort finished yet?

and have you all been through the the link from mark its a beezer

iain

Paul_H

Iain,

I finally managed to track down the foil backed insulation and it was reasonably priced but no more has been done on the cabin since except the younger kids have moved their toys.
My wife has been hinting that it would be a good Sunday project for the family so I think there will be some action happening soon. :)

iain

Looking at the gap in the posting dates youasfastasme in getting my own work done :D
and i got me one of them hinters too ::) ;)

iain

TexasTimbers

Paul this is one of those times to employ a tried and true delaying tactic  "We'll do it a week from some Tuesday honey". If you use the right speed and meter, do NOT stress the word "some", and add a little pause for effect, then before she can ask "What did you say?" launch right into "I think I'll take you out to dinner tonight..... where do you want to go?"

She probably won't fall for it but she might go easier on you.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!