iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs and knowing price and amount

Started by Black_Creek, April 17, 2003, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Creek

We have been sawing less that a year and have been sawing from our own wood lot. We now have an order that will require us to buy some logs to fill this order in time.

We have an order for Hemlock. What is the going rate in upper New England for Hemlock and what is the best scale to go by to check the quantity of logs you are buying and a basic guide to grade the logs by.

I know I am asking a lot. I  have been reading as much as I can but would like some direct answers to make sure we are going the right way.

Thanks for your valuable help
                   :P 8) ::) ??? Black Creek Farm

DanG

BC, I can't help with your question, but I do want to welcome you to the ForestryForum.  I hope you get some good answers, as dealing with loggers and other folks who have made their living in this industry for years is a little intimidating. All of us new guys can use a lot of input.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Black_Creek
This site has some information on hemlock log grades, along with other species. Not sure if there are any lumber yield figures that go with the grades, but at least it shows some grading faces that you might be able to use to estimate quality, high to low.

http://www.daviesand.com/Services/Inventories/Log_Grades/

As for knowing (estimating) the quantity of lumber you should expect, use the International Rule (1/4 or 1/8") and you will come out pretty close. But, because of the favor to the buyer, you should buy the logs on the Doyle rule.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

You might want to check with your state forestry office for some additional information.  They should be able to fill you in on what type of scale is normally used in your area.  They should also be able to give you a ballpark figure and a list of loggers.

In my area (PA), Doyle is the most common log scale used.  As you get further north and tree diameters get smaller, Scribner is sometimes used.  For softwoods, you might be able to buy by the ton, if quality and size are not that important.

Prices for hemlock should be relatively low.  When scaling hemlock, make sure you check for shake.  Decide how you want to handle that or you'll end up paying for material that can't be used.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Captain

Over the winter in Massachusetts, I have been quoted between 150/ MBF and 200/ MBF delivered.  International scale.  This is from a log saavy tree service in the area who brokers for himself and others.  

Sometimes when I travel in Maine, I wonder if there is much left to cut with the paper mills being up there....everything near the road is pulpwood sized. ???

johnjbc

Penn State publishes stumpage and mill prices in International 1/4 scale. The two southern region have prices for Hemlock for the last qtr. of 92. The site is.

http://www.sfr.cas.psu.edu/TMR/TMR.htm

Stump    $38   to  $88
MILL      $66   to  $108  

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

woodmills1

The most I have paid fror hemlock is 38 cents a bd ft delivered to my yard,  that was for qood quality 16 footers.  I have paid as little as a nickle, there isn't must demand for it here and most of the local trees taper down quickley.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Black_Creek

Thanks for all your replys. We build with it a fair amount up here.

Yes, the paper mills have cleared out a lot of the bigger stuff. I often look, as I drive down the road, and see mostly small timber any more. I wonder if there will come a day when the big stuff will only be seen in pictures just as the days of the log drives down the river are now only seen in pictures.

Thanks again
                                       Tony Ceder ::) :P 8) 8) :)

Jeff

Tony ceder? Hey man, you had a built in forum name. :) Is Black creek a local near you?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!