iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warning: New DOT Rules

Started by Gary_C, October 23, 2007, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Do you cross state or federal borders in a commercial motor vehicle?
Have you always been exempt from the Single State Registration System because you are not for hire?
Well there is a change on the way.   :o

The Single State Registration System (SSRS) was repealed by Congress effective January 1, 2007. For-Hire Motor Carriers were not issued SSRS receipts for 2007. And there was no enforcement of any SSRS requirements after December 31, 2006.

In early September 2007, the SSRS Program was replaced by the new Unified Carrier Registration Agreement (UCR). The UCR Program will apply to For-Hire (Exempt and Regulated) and Private Motor Carriers that operate in Interstate Commerce. It will also apply to leasing companies, freight forwarders and brokers.

In other words, all you not for hire haulers have just been dragged into this registration system. ::)

The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business with a participating state and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.

Commercial Motor Vehicle is defined as a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:

(a) has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds or more;
(b) is designed to transport 11 or more passengers (including the driver); or
(c) is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Interstate Commerce - means trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—
(1) Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the
United States);
(2) Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States;
or
(3) Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or
terminating outside the State or the United States.

So if your truck, pickup, or trailer has either a rating or actual weight of 10,001 lbs. or more and you have to cross any state line, or you deliver something that will be shipped further in interstate commerce, you will have to register and pay an annual fee for every truck or trailer you own. And the Gestapo (DOT) will fine those that do not comply by 11/15/2007 even though in Minnesota the program was not announced till 10/05/2007.

In some of the information I just received about the truck regulations, there was this interesting question and answer.

Question?
A logger has a bulk fuel tank (more than 119 water gallons) in the back of his pickup. The tank is half full and he uses the truck to travel from Isabella, MN to a dealership in Superior, WI to pick up some parts.
What laws apply?

What laws apply? All regulations would apply and the bulk fuel tank (more than 119 water gallons) would require placarding. Logger needs a CDL, Drug & Alcohol testing, $1,000,000 insurance, accident reporting, Driver Qualification files, logbooks, annual inspection, daily inspection, maintenance files, HazMat driver training, HM registration to transport HM in Minnesota, HM registration from PHMSA (Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration), shipping papers, placarding, and security plan. :( :(

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Cedarman

I was hauling about 200 feet of cedar lumber on my 1 ton Dodge flat bed going through Bedford In.  The DOT state police couldn't wait to pull me over and give me a warning ticket.   Told me in no uncertain terms I had to get a CDL to haul that little bit of lumber.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

dewwood

That explains this stack of paperwork I have on my desk saying I owe the DOT more money.  This is an annual fee and as stated above applies to everyone that has a truck or trailer with more than a 10,000 lb weight rating.  Just another new tax or fee to make it more difficult to survive.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

TexasTimbers

Thanks for the heads up Gary. Does this only effect those who cross lines? I read it slowly and my take is it's only applicable to interstate and not intrastate. If so I won't be making any trips into oklahoma and bringing back logs anytime soon.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

submarinesailor

What if you are not commercial?  I have an F250 SD at weights about 6100 pounds and I routinely transport a 3850 pound JD 4520 to and from Manassas and Syria, Va. on a trailer that weights about 2500 lbs.  GVW of about 12,000 lbs and I'm not doing it for any money.  Legal or not?

What about the RVs and 5th wheel trailers that go well over 8K behind a 250/350/2500/3500 dually?  Some of those got to have a GVW of 20K or better?  What about all those horsey people pulling those big ass horse trailers?

Bruce

Dan_Shade

recreation falls into different categories, and besides, if you own a horse trailer or an RV, you're more likely to make campaign contributions  ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gary_C

What I read into this new law, is the DOT now has the ability to require just about everyone to register their trucks and trailers. They could not require the "not for hire" people to register before this new law. Hard to say just how they will enforce this, but since it probably has something to do with Homeland Security, they will probably be very strict.  :)

Just remember in order to register, you also have to have a US DOT Number and that subjects you to all the other rules including Drug and Alcohol Testing.   ::)

sawguy21

This is interesting. On two occasions I pulled a large trailer from Canada into the U.S. The first time I dropped it in Eugene OR to be used by a customer. I had to get a DOT approval number but that is another story.
The second trip was to deliver a small helicopter to an buyer near Minneapolis. Would I be allowed to cross the border under those circumstances today?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kevin_H.

From what I have read, just briefly, it seems to depend on what state you live in.

I just went to the fmcsa web site and did the questionaire, and it still said I did not need a dot#

I do not ship out of state.

Here is the answer I got at the end of the process.

Intrastate Non-Hazmat motor carriers and Intrastate Hazmat motor carriers:

The following States have adopted the Federal USDOT marking requirements for Intrastate motor carriers domiciled in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The Intrastate motor carriers within these States are allowed to register online with FMCSA. If your State is not listed above, you do not need to complete this process. However, you may need to register your vehicle(s) with a PRISM State (Performance and Registration Information Systems Management), that handles your IRP plate renewal. For more information regarding your State requirements, please call the FMCSA field office in your State. For a listing of State offices, go to the FMCSA Field Roster web site.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Furby

A private motor carrier owns the goods that it ships and while isn't for hire, IS being used commercially.

They've been trying to get all truck larger then 3/4 ton to carry a DOT # for several years now.

Gary_C

Here is the location for more information and registration: Unified Carrier Registration

This is a new federal law and the UCR is under the administration of the FMCSA so it is applies in all states. Here are some of the rules contained in the agreement.

2.  APPLICABILITY OF THE PROVISIONS OF THE UCR AGREEMENT
The UCR Agreement will apply to the following types of operations of passenger and property in interstate commerce:

(1)            Motor carrier;

(2)            Motor private carrier;

(3)            Freight forwarder;

(4)            Broker; and

(5)            Leasing company.

3.  STATE OPTION TO INCLUDE INTRASTATE CARRIERS IN THE UCR AGREEMENT
A State may elect to apply the provisions of the UCR Agreement to motor carrier and motor private carriers and freight forwarders subject to its jurisdiction that operate solely in intrastate commerce within the border of the State.

Quote from: Kevin_H. on October 24, 2007, 01:09:32 PM

I do not ship out of state.

You DO according to the rules if you take any part of shipping cargo that is shipped in interstate commerce. For example if you haul some lumber to a terminal so it can be shipped to another state, you are shipping out of state.

Quote from: submarinesailor on October 24, 2007, 09:51:14 AM
What if you are not commercial?  GVW of about 12,000 lbs and I'm not doing it for any money. Legal or not?

It does not make any difference if you are doing it for money or not. If it has anything to do with a business, you are over 10,000 lbs, and cross a state line or take part in a interstate shipment, you are included.

sprucebunny

Well they don't make it easy to figure out....

But under "exceptions" is this:"The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

That's me  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

TexasTimbers

All my stuff is registered farm use anyway but if I ever start hauling logs for resale on a routine basis I  will have to get another trailer dedicated to it. As it stands, them farm tags are not coming off.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Polly

8) 8)  we have gpne from bingo stamps to single state registery to the new system i sent in my 39.00 for two trucks believe it or not each change the price dropped almost 200.00 down to 39.00 fore one time they done something right :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!