iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant hook, or peavey? (Logrite, of course ;) )

Started by Dave Shepard, October 22, 2007, 07:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musikwerke

I have the small mill special, a peavey, cant hook and log carrier - all LogRite.  This Summer I built a one-man log arch and I used the hooks from the log carirer.  What a slick rig if I may say so myself.  I can pick up, off the ground entirely, a softwood log up to 14"X14' and move it to where I can get my tractor or crane truck --- as long as it doesn't have to go uphill.
John

customsawyer

I have a logrite peave with a slite bow in it. Hired man like to let it lean up agains the mill frame so he wouldn't have to bend over to pick it up, one day log gets loose from me and I don't have the loader up so big log rolls down and bend peave almost to a U so I took the back-hoe and got the peave braced up on a cant and held it in place with one of the down riggers reach over with the hoe and just pushed it back down, now it is not perfectly strait but it is pretty close and still works like this every day, try that with a wooden handle. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

I've decided that old style peavey handles make good kindling. ;) Or punji sticks for elephant traps.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LT40HDD51

We bent one: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=23106.80  page 5

I stand by it that we didnt abuse it. Logrite got a replacement handle off to us right away  8).
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Dave Shepard

I now have a 60" Stihl orange cant hook! 8) 8) I'll be trying it out tomorrow, I can hardly wait. 8) 8) I got a PM from Tamiam late yesterday to confirm the order, and she said she'd ship it out this morning, and it showed up this afternoon, now that's service! :D :D ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Holy smokes!!  What did you do, go over there and pick it up? :D

Dave Shepard

I haven't figured it out yet. :D My reply PM cofirming the order was sent at 2:23 pm. :o The 60" hook is a bit taller than the old style peavey I have been using, and I am predicting no flexing of the Logrite handle, I think I need to go find a big log to saw tomorrow. :D

Dave

trapper

just ordered a hookaroon from baileys for my wife.  she says i pile the firewood for our outdoor furnace too high.  getting the 60 inch canthook for myself.  They have them on sale in their christmas catalog  Logrite of course
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

bandmiller2

It's called a cant hook for a reason,use it to turn cants.   Humping logs use the peavey or the first one you can get your hands on.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

stonebroke

Should you have a cant hook or a peavey with the stand to cut firewood?

Stonebroke

Nate Surveyor

Thanks guys for the re-direct to this thread, which has all the info I needed.

Cant hook for squared cants
Peavey for logs.

Now, I want to get one too. I have been doing it all with a 42" wood handled cant hook.

Nate :) :)
I know less than I used to.

Dan_Shade

sometimes you can use a cant hook to drag a small log, a peavey doesn't work very well for that.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

treenail

I use both logrite cant hooks (which are pretty darned good) and regular wood handled peaveys around the sawmill.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Thank You Sponsors!