iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant hook, or peavey? (Logrite, of course ;) )

Started by Dave Shepard, October 22, 2007, 07:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Which do you prefer around the mill? I have always used a peavey, the old, antique, horrible kind, but I snapped it in half yesterday, and I am going to get a couple of Logrites, and someday, an Arky superstick. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woody1

If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

JV

I have a 60" peavey, a short mill hook, and a pickaroon all LogRite of course.  If I had to choose one it would be the peavey.  You can jam the end in the ground and it will stand by itself.  It's nice to move one end of a log around.  Also if I have to move a log lengthwise on the mill I can raise a toe board and use the peavey to scoot the log down the mill.  I gave my old wooden handled cant hook away.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

dutchman

Just got a 60"  LogRite peavey to use instead of wooden cant hook.
I like the peavey more every day.

Dan_Shade

"it depends"

for me, I prefer a peavey when wrestling around with logs on the ground.  on the mill, I prefer a cant hook.

Sometimes I wish there was a combo:  a peavey with the cant hook nub on it. (but i'd still prefer a cant hook on the mill.  the point can get in the way.

I like a peavey because I can stick it into the ground and it's available for the next use without me having to bend over to pick it up.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Frickman

Both. I currently have four Log-Rite hooks of various types and sizes. They are used alot more than the twenty or so wood handle cant hooks and peavies I have around the place.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

customsawyer

I have one of each in the 60" and I like the peavey best for all around use for all the above mentioned reasons but mostly because I just get along with it better. I have one of my hired help that prefer the cant hook so i think that it comes down to what you use it for the most and which you personally like best.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Since I only have money for one,I would buy a peavey,the one with the point.I keep one on my winch when I'm in the woods.Comes in handy using the point to pry apart the logs to get the chain off instead of winching it back up and dropping it again.I use the point alot.I would hate to be without it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodhick

I have the 60" peavey.  I love being able to stick it in the ground which makes it a lot handier.  However I agree with Dave the point seems to always get in the way on the mill.  Either way go Logrite.  If I was buying only one again i would bo with the cant hook, but thats just my opinion.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Dave Shepard

You know Dan, it might not be that hard to make a double point like you mention, then you have both! Logrite, are you listening? ;) In the mill, I have one peavey that I always grab because it hooks the best, I have used a couple of Logrites, so I know they ALL hook better than an old fashioned one. I get really frustrated trying to hook big logs with the old ones, they work great on 12" stuff, but you hardly need a peavey for those. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

if you really work with big logs all the time, you should spring for a A.S.S.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

Yeah, I definately need one or two of those. I was reading a book on western logging this evening, one of the pictures showed a dozen men, all with peaveys that had to be over 7'. :o

Dave

rebocardo

The peavey, though once I had an actual cant, then the cant hook. If I could have only one, the peavey because with the long point, you can easily rotate logs in place on the ground or on a mill to get to a good side.

If you bungie the hook in the up position, so it does not snag things, it makes a great walking stick.

Dave Shepard

When I broke the peavey handle, I wondered why, as I wasn't working it too hard, only a fraction of how I use the ones at work. Now I know why, the handle wasn't the straight grain it should have been, it was all cross grain, almost at a 45 degree angle. >:( >:( I know what I am going to be using from now on, or at least until I can get a Logrite. An old standby, from before the peavey was even thought of. Five and a half foot straight grain ash handle and hand forged steel ring and hook, The Ring Dog!:

;) :D :D

Dave

Stan P

while on the topic does anyone have any experience straightening out a logrite peavey?  I lent it out and got it back with about a 30 degree bend in the aluminum bar.   thanks

Stan

beenthere

Someone must a drove over it.....Let him have that one, and let him buy you a new one...fair is fair.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

I used a wooden handled peavey in the bush for 20 years or so. When I started running Louis' saw for him, I got introduced to a short wooden cant hook as well. When I finally bought my own mill, I bought a Logrite "mill special" cant hook. Later I bought a 60" Logrite Peavey as well. Based on all that, I've pretty much decided ...

For working around the mill I would never use anything but a Logrite "mill special" cant hook. It beats anything else out there.

For shifting logs in the log yard and in the bush, I'm going back to my old wooden-handled Peavey. I may actually transfer the hook from the Logrite peavey, but for getting a secure "bite" with the point, I find the old fashioned Peavey works better. I also find the handle on the Logrite is too big to get a comfortable grip. I wish they'd cut 8" off the end of the longer cant hooks and peavey's and weld in the top of the handle from the mill special.

For those of you using Logrite peaveys and wishing you had something to  bite into the side of a log, here's a trick that worked for me. The point is held in place with a roll pin -- if you drive it out slightly toward the "log side", about 1/4", it will get a bit of a grip on the side of the log. You could also replace it with a longer roll pin. It ain't perfect, but it makes a difference.

Quote from: Stan P on October 24, 2007, 02:25:54 PM
while on the topic does anyone have any experience straightening out a logrite peavey?  I lent it out and got it back with about a 30 degree bend in the aluminum bar.

Tell Logrite. Ask 'em for a replacement -- the handle's supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Sawyerfortyish

You guys been looking at too many old logging pictures  ::). If I want to turn a log I use a hydraulic log turner. If it's outside I get a loader. But if I have to do it the ol fashen way I use a cant hook in the mill and a peavey outside. Now if I'm in a competition for log rolling I use a peavey with a dragon back welded oposite the hook.

thecfarm

Yes,they do have a lifetime replacement,but not by being run over with something as was guessed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stan P

Yes.  My guess is he wasnt taking care of it.  I was just wondering if there was a way to straighten it out by using heat.  No matter.  thanks for the thoughts.

Stan

rebocardo

> any experience straightening out a logrite peavey

Not a peavey, but, other things. You can't straighten it out. When you bend it back from that kind of angle it will be basically work hardened. If you did manage to get it back without cracking, it might break under use.

What I would do is cut 1-2" back from the bend on each side. Then have someone very skilled in MIG welding alumnum, weld it back together first with a sleeve on the inside and then one on the outside.

If you can't find a welder, you could try bolting it. Basically, freeze the bolts, heat the aluminum slightly, and slide the bolts through a camfered slightly undersized hole. Grade 8 x 1/4" bolts should do.

Stan P

I will say customer service for Logrite seems great.  Tammy from the company read my post and offered to replace it if it was damaged during normal use (which I dont think is the case).   Probably wont help me but good for you all to know.

Stan

Frickman

The baking at Log-Rite is pretty good too. Tammy makes excellent brownies.  :)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Brucer

Well, my Logrite peavey has a bent handle, and it wasn't caused by a vehicle or log running over it. Yep, a normal-weight person can bend a Logrite tool.

A couple of years ago, one of my customer's employees was staging logs for me. He was using my peavey to try to lever a 26" x 32' Douglas-Fir off another pair of logs and couldn't quite get it to the balance point. So he hung onto the end of the handle, lifted his feet onto the log, and starting bouncing with his body completely suspended by the peavey.

When I saw this, I asked him what he thought might happen if the log did finally go past the balance point. That's when he thought about consequences: log rolls onto peavey; peavey crushes his chest; 4000 lb log drops onto his legs. So he decided to move it a different way :D.

I didn't notice the bent handle until the next day >:(.

But that wasn't what I'd call normal usage, and I won't fault Logrite for not making a tool that could stand up to that kind of treatment. Don't matter how tough you make it, there'll always be some DanG fool that can wreck it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Engineer

I'd bet anything that you could leave a Logrite tool (or just about anything else, for that matter) in an empty, sealed room with my kids, and at the end of the day whatever you left with them would be broken and mostly disassembled, and one piece would be permanently missing.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!