iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need new chicken recipes

Started by Carries-Mom, October 22, 2007, 08:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carries-Mom

It seems like I've tried just about everything I know to do with chicken...I'm looking for something different...Anyone got any ideas to share???

submarinesailor

One of my favorites is to take some chicken breast, chunk up or cut them into strips, and cook them until they are just done.  Open a jar of your favorite salsas and pour it over that breast.  This is the time I start the rice cooker.  Let the salsas and breast simmer until the rice is done.  Then I usually put the rice on a platter, placing the breast chucks on top and spooning the salsas juices on top.

I like using the mild salsas for this.  But, you can make it as hot as you want smiley_fireman_hat food6 smiley_fireman_hat food6.

Bruce

sawguy21

Have you tried beer can chicken? Place a third full can, I don't care what you do with the rest :D, in the cavity and sit said chicken on the grill. It looks hilarious but even the white meat will be moist and very tasty. Different beers give unique flavors.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

This is a low carb recipe, but it's so good that I've made it when company was coming, and no one knew I was "dieting."  This is my favorite way to eat chicken!

4 chicken breast halves, boned (skin if you like)
1 package fresh mushrooms (sliced)
2-3 cups frozen or fresh broccoli (I use fresh, cut small)
1 large onion, sliced
4 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar/jack, use less if you like)
black pepper to taste
salt (you decide, I don't like salt)
garlic powder to taste
butter
olive oil

Heat oven to 350
In large skillet, brown chicken in olive oil and butter until partially cooked. Remove and lay into 13 x 9 baking dish (sprayed with PAM). Add broccoli around the chicken any which way you like.

To oil and butter (I add more butter now) in skillet, add your onion, celery and mushrooms (smells so good) and cook until onion is clear and wilting.

While veggies are cooking, mix cream, mayo, spices (I sometimes add some sour cream, too) and shredded cheese. Stir it up.

Remove cooking veggies from pan, and lay across the chicken and broccoli. Then pour cream/mayo mix over all.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Let stand for 5 before serving.

Say when

flip

"Burnt wire chicken"  by my mom

When we were little mom used to make a sort of baked chicken.  The first time she made it dad got home from work walked in the house and asked what was on fire or that there were some wires were burning.  That immediately took the wind out of mom's sails but it's good cheap and easy.

Pyrex baking dish
one or two chickens quartered
2 packets of italian salad dressing mix dressing with olive oil pour on chicken put in oven 350 until golden brown.
YUM.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

LeeB

Sounds good Roxie. What time is supper?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Carries-Mom

WOW!!!  so far all of them sound good...I have done one with the salsa..and have made modifications to it, but just looking for something different, and I know I've come to the right place...thanks!!!  any more ideas would be greatly appreciated... 8) 8)

limbrat

3 or 4   pounds chicken skint and pieced
3/4cps  oil
2cps     onion chopped
1cp       bell peper chopped
1/2cp    celery chopped
4          cloves garlic chopped
2          table spoons flour
1/4cp   sugar
2          table spoons salt   salt and pepper to taste
3          bay leaves
1          can rotel tomatoes (they are hot)
1          can stewed tomatoes
1/4cp   dry white wine

put oil in pan and bring up to heat. brown half the chicken at a time on both sides put away and let drain. add flour to pan stir till roux is brown. add onions, peppers,celery, garlic saulte till wilted. add sugar,salt,bay leaves and both cans of tomatoes. bring to boil get anything stuck on the bottom salt and pepper to taste. bring heat down and let simmer for twenty minutes if it sticks or seems thick add water to thin gravy. put chicken in baking pan or cassirol dish that has been sprayed or wiped with oil. pour gravy over the top level and add wine mix in. bake at 375 for 50 minutes or untill done.if thick serve as is if thin serve over angle hair pasta.
ben

estiers

Skint?  As in skinned?  I am good at recognizing spoken stuff, bu the spelling stuff sometimes has me  smiley_headscratch
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

limbrat

ben

Haytrader

Take some skint chicken breasts and lay them one at a time on a cutting board. Get a sharp knife in one hand and place the other hand on the chicken with fingers curved up. Slice the breast horizontally but don't cut all the way. (cut from narrow side to thick side) Now lay the breast open like a book.

Stuff with things you like for flavoring. Cheeses, onions, mushrooms, cooked bacon or ham, peppers, veggies, anything edible really. I sometimes sautee mushrooms in catalina dressing and put that in. Or grilled onions. I have a friend who like jalepenos with some BBQ sauce. My wife likes steamed veggies and butter.

Whatever you come up with works.  ;)

Now, close the breasts and secure with toothpicks put in to form an X in about three places. Have the charcoal or gas grill hot and clean. Brush some cooking oil on one side of each piece as you put it on the grill, oiled side down. Just before you turn them over, brush the tops with oil. The oil helps keep them from sticking and also helps brown them some.

This goes good with any sides.  Oh, and I choose to salt and pepper and sprinkle with garlic powder also.

Haytrader

Carries-Mom

All of these recipes sound great so far...any more would be greatly appreciated.. 8)

faronskid

My kids really like this chicken spaghetti.
           4 to 5 chicken breasts
           1 stick butter
           1 green pepper
           1onion
           2 cans ro-tel
           1 celery stalk
           1 to 1 1/2 lb.velveeta cheese cubed
           1(16oz) pkg. thin spaghetti
           1 pkg. grated cheddar cheese

Boil chicken in 1 quart water.  Do not drain broth.  When chicken is cooked through, chop into cubes.  Boil spaghetti in broth until done.  You may need to add a little water to cover pasta for cooking.  Do not drain.  Saute vegetables in butter.  Add vegetables, Ro-tel, chicken, and Velveeta to hot spaghetti.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Pour into 9x13 inch dish and top with grated cheese. Heat in a 325 degree oven until melted.  This makes a huge meal.  Even with my 5 kids, I usually have quite a bit left over.
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

Engineer

I like to experiment with different ways to fry chicken, the kids like it. 

One way that they all like is to season some flour with salt, Old Bay seasoning, a little cayenne pepper.  The cooking will dampen the flavors a bit so a lot of spice is good.  I prepare an egg wash with one egg and some water.  We usually get boneless skinless breasts as we don't have our own birds yet, but even deboned pieces will work.  Slice in small strips and dip in the flour, then egg 'em, then flour again, fry in olive oil until crisp.  Sometimes I will soak the chicken overnight in some buttermilk if I have any.

Tom

I never try to get to technically involved because me and my boys were more looking for food to fill a bottomless pit than something from a gourmet kitchen.  Here's our chicken recipe:

before you go to work in the morning,
get a plucked whole chicken (frozen is OK).  Take the giblets out of the carcass.
put the chicken in a slow cooker
put some salt and pepper on the chicken
put a cup,or so, of ketchup on the chicken.
Put a couple or more peeled potatoes on top of the chicken (a peeled whole onion is good in there too)
put the lid on, and turn the cooker to "slow".

When you get home from work, you will have a pretty good tastin' chicken.  Serve it with bread and a vegetable of somekind.  Just open a can.

If you want to get fancy, you can rough chop some celary and put on top of the potatoes and sprinkle some parsley or other herbs on the potatoes before you close the lid.  You don't have to though. :)

wesdor

Chicken "Thing"

While not a very fancy title, this is one of our favorites.  Since there are only two of us left at home, my recipe is for only us.

2 chicken breast
1/4 stick butter
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup french fried onions
1 can mushrooms
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
large frying pan

Melt butter in pan
Brown the chicken breasts - about 10 minutes
Add white wine
Cook covered for 5 minutes
Add mushrooms
French fried onions
and cover all with cheese

Cover and cook until cheese is melted.

WDH

Teriyaki Chicken.

Take 3 lbs of chicken thighs.
De-bone them.
Put in a gallon zip-loc bag.
Add a tablespoon of garlic powder.
Add a tablespoon of onion powder.
Add black pepper.
Add 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce.
Let marinate in frig for up to 8 hours.
Grill on a grill using real charcoal.
Enjoy them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Carries-Mom

All of these recipes got my mouth waterin'.. musteat_1I'm writing all of 'em down...Any more of them recipes would be great...thanks guys and gals... ;D

flip

Saw a good one on Food network "Good Eats"

1 chicken cut into pieces (8)
brown in skillet with a little olive oil
put 40, yes 40 cloves of garlic in, 1/2 cup more olive oil and some thyme in pan, cover pan and put into a 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours.  
Called chicken and 40 cloves. digin1 food2
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

sawguy21

:o Then replace the oven if ya can get in the kitchen. I like garlic but 40 cloves ???

scgargoyle

That Chicken And 40 Cloves is a good one- and not as garlicky as you would think. We fight over who gets to eat the cloves! Mom used to make 'Souper Chicken'. Brown some chicken, then throw in a can of Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery soup. Dilute with a can of water or wine. You can throw in onions and celery if you like. I slice up a wack of mushrooms and throw 'em in there. Let it cook for an hour or so; serve over pasta or rice. I also like capers in mine.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

sawguy21

It is great done with wild mushroom soup too, one of my favorites, and it is something I can make.

Thank You Sponsors!