iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw recomendation for the wife.

Started by LeeB, October 21, 2007, 08:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I need a saw that the wife can handle. She has an athritis type disease so it can't be too big. I bought her one of the little electric saws but she don't like it, too slow. She won't be able to handle a whole lot more weight than that. She just wants something to be able to do about 6-8" or so. Any suggestions?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sprucegum

I just bought an Echo cs-306 for limbing. It weighs in at about 7-8 pounds with 14" bar. After using my Husky the Echo seems under-powered (only 30cc). I need to learn to keep the revs up and keep it real sharp and its fine. Easy starting too.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

I have a TANAKA arborist saw, it's magic. I just love it. It's got a top handle and is really easy to start and use.

Mine's a TANAKA 3301 It's nickname is "Baby-saw", it's little, but it's powerful enough especially for limbing and small trees.

Also, I'm confident enough with it to clamber around in the tops of fallen trees taking limbs off here and there, one handed and it's great, also really easy to start between your knees. Can't recommend it highly enough.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

I discourage casual users from buying top handle saws. They are designed for arborist work in the tree. Cutting one handed is asking for trouble, especially when limbing. You would have no control if it kicks back.

rebocardo

I had a MS-180C and it was an excellent light weight saw. I bought replacement chain from Bailey's that really woke the saw up. Sells for $180-$199 at the local Stihl dealer. If vibration is an issue

> athritis type disease

stick to the Stihl green chain.

fishman

my wife has an echo 306 , small and lite, but has more than enough power

LeeB

Thanks for the info everyone. Asy, I don't even know if Tanaka is availible here. I'm probably gonna lean toward Stihl as that is about the only dealer around this area. I never owned a stihl before, only husky. How do they compare?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I prefer Stihl but both are good chainsaws.

joe_indi

Definitely a Stihl 180C with a 12" PMN (Picco Micro Narrow) bar and 61PMN sawchain.

rebocardo

> How do they compare?

I think for the smaller saws, Stihl is the most expensive AND best made small saw. They feel nicer to use for me then the cheaper Poulan and Husky stuff.

For the larger saws 60+ CCs, probably an even draw on quality except the Husky is much less expensive to buy and operate (sawchain wise). I like how the bigger Husky saws feel while cutting, especially doing notches.

On the larger Husky saws, I think the vibration isolation is better then the larger Stihls.

MartyParsons

When you goto the STIHL dealer ask to try the Easy Start. They are so neat. You can pull the rope real slow it sets a spring and then the engine is running. They are starting to put Easy Start on the line trimmers also.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bushwhacker

My wife uses a Stihl 018C (replaced by the 180) that she really likes. I use it some too for smaller stuff.  It's been reliable and is fun to run.
KLH

LeeB

How is the 180c for limbing? The Husky 372 gets mighty heavy after a while.

pineywoods

A friend gave me a little stihl 012 that would be ideal, but I don't think stihl makes it anymore
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

The MS180C is alright for limbing being light with decent power in the small stuff.

rebocardo

The main reason I bought the MS-180 was for limbing. Especially since I cut most of  a hardwood's branches into firewood length and burn them or give them away as firewood. A lot quicker and safer to cut them to length on the tree.

It did well with the 14" bar and the more aggressive chain from Baileys.

The only drawback was flipping the bar because you need a screw driver to do it. But, it is not a saw meant for heavy use so it does not matter much.

weimedog

There are a bunch of small saws out there that would work just fine. Stihl's and husky's have the dealer and service advantage.

So what did I do?

ebayed a little 33cc homelite "Ranger" for 60 bucks including shipping around two years ago...initially for my kid.

We changed the chain to a "non" saftey chisle tooth chain and opened up the muffle by removing the spark arrestor and widening the exhaust a little...we followed THIS video's instructions to mod the muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Obe6uu5zrM

Thats was two years ago, four worn out chains and god only knows how many brutal hours of use from everthing to "chain saw art" on beams for our barn&stall construction, cutting fire wood, cutting / cleaning up countless tree tops from timber related projects around here...

This "junk" saw has never failed in any way..is about as easy to start as possible for an internal combustion engine and is both light enough and has enough power to do what has been asked. All for less than $125 bucks total over two years including the chains but not including the fuel and bar oil.

And it has a PLASTIC crank case and all the things typical of a home owners juck saw. BUT it still is in constant use by wife & kids. It lives in the back of our pickup...no one will steal it. And it works.

As was Homelites marketing sloagon said: "Simply Reliable". It is and has history to say its been simply reliable.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SawTroll

Husky 339xp or MS200 - she is worth the best light saw, I hope... :)
Information collector.

Dave Shepard

Stihl makes a rear handle for the MS200, that would be a real (safe) ripper for sure. :)

Dave

edit: by safe, I meant safer than the top handle version. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

The rear handle MS200 is a real treat, light with lots of punch, but a little pricey for a casual user saw. I recently talked a landscaper customer into trying one, he had been looking at an MS170 but would have killed it. He winced at the tab but loves the saw.

SawTroll

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 29, 2007, 06:52:24 PM
Stihl makes a rear handle for the MS200, that would be a real (safe) ripper for sure. :)

Dave

edit: by safe, I meant safer than the top handle version. ;)

The MS200 have allways been a rear handle saw - the top handle one is the MS200T.
I agree with you on the safety issue!  :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!