iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Light for Storage Shed

Started by Left Coast Chris, October 20, 2007, 01:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Well, I've finally finished the wood storage shed with a loft.  All framing sawn on the LT30 clone out of salvage logs.   Probably the hard way but it turned out nice.

I would like to add one or two solar lights that have a remote panel.  Im looking for a low cost system that can bolt on with light inside and small panel outside.   Anyone have a brand and model they like?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Furby

Not sure if it's what you are talking about, but I picked up a set of three lights for landscaping, Malibu.
Each light has three white LED's in them and each light is connected to the solar panel by a 20' cord.
Just plug in however many of the three you want.
They are dusk to dawn lights that come on automaticly.
Not super bright, but are white floods.
Paid $30 on sale.
Just a thought. :)

Left Coast Chris

Furby...........

I looked at some of those at Home Depot.  It is a good possibility I could make them work.   Was hoping there was something similar that directed the light down and could mount on a ceiling or wall.   

I put so much work into this wood shed it's larger than the normal portable shed (12x10 with a loft) and has sky lights for the day but you know how it is when you forgot to get wood into the house and have to go out in the dark to get some.

I might need to look in a travel trailer assesory catalog but those systems are not too cheep.   The $30 landscaping lights might be looking pretty good.  --thanks--  :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Mooseherder

My brother picked one up for me for the Camp yard at the Blue Store.
It was 80.00 but works real good. Lights up quite a bit. It also works off of the motion detector. Both the light and solar panel have mounting brackets and allow for any position you desire. The solar panel collector is seperate from the light. They are connected by a wire about 8ft. long. Don't remember exactly what brand it was though.  The solar collector panel is about 10x6 inches. The light with base can be mounted anywhere. He mounted up high in the tree for me as some security/surprise for anyone pulling in.  I'll bet the moose and animals have been tripping the motion detector. :D

Left Coast Chris

Never heard of the Blue Store out here............ I will search on the net also.  The motion sensor is probably worth it.    I could put one light outside the wood shed to light up when walking up to it.   Sounds like it throws pretty good light.  Might help keep the racoons out also.......... :D

Mooseherder

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on October 20, 2007, 12:35:52 PM
Never heard of the Blue Store out here............ I will search on the net also.  The motion sensor is probably worth it.    I could put one light outside the wood shed to light up when walking up to it.   Sounds like it throws pretty good light.  Might help keep the racoons out also.......... :D

Blue Store+Big Box=Lowes. :D

Left Coast Chris

Moosehearder............ thanks for giving the mentally impaired version :D :D :D.......I might have been looking for awhile :P

Furby

Not to change the subject, but is there any chance you can get the make and model or just the specs off that unit Mooseherder, next time you are at camp?

pappy

I set up a solar shed light I got from Harbor Freight for about 40 bucks for my outhouse at Outback  ;) .... They don't have the one I guts butt they guts others...   :D ;D :)

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=shed+light
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Mooseherder

Man, my brothers just called from camp a few moments ago. They were taking the batteries out of the machines and camp for me and getting the place closed down for winter. I tried calling them back to go see the info off of the box the light came in and they aren't answering the phone.
Maybe Bow Saw will do it for you. He rides his bike thru there once in a while.
Otherwise, I'll be there next spring/summer. :D

Furby

Won't be needing before then anyways, so that will work.
Thanks!

Mooseherder

They just called me back after seeing I had called. :)
It's a Cooper Lighting
MSL 18OW

Looks like harbor freight has some that can save you money. ;)

Furby

Thanks! 8)
I'm looking for a cheap but very specific item. ;)
Will check and see if that will work. :)

Sprucegum

I have the solar shed light on Pappy's list.

It puts out a good light in my 4'X8' outhouse.

Left Coast Chris

Sprucegum,

Sounds like you have one of the Harbor Freight models......

Do you have the panel out in the elements so it gets rain and ice on it?  ..... and how long has it lasted so far?

My rule of thumb in the past has been to stay away from everything electrical at Harbor Freight........... but they are getting better. :) :)

Sprucegum

I bought mine at Canadian Tire - only in Canada, eh? Probably similar to Harbor Freight; lots of imports with a few good quality items thrown in.

This is the first season for this setup so I can't say how well it will last. I have mounted the panel just under the eave so the sun will hit it more often than the snow  ::)

Furby

Quote from: Sprucegum on October 21, 2007, 10:43:52 AM
It puts out a good light in my 4'X8' outhouse.

Got a recliner and TV in there or what?

isawlogs

Furby ::::   dats 4 feet wide 8 feet high   ::) ::) ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Ooh, I thought maybe it was one of the high $ ones the state puts along side the road, normally 5'x8' or so and enough room for a group to go at once. :-X :-X :-X

isawlogs

Your State has big $$$  we get a log along the road and if your lucky they would have planted a bass wood near by .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sprucegum

My avatar is my outhouse! I have room for a snow shovel and a couple chainsaws in there beside the throne  :D and this year I put real boards on the roof  8)

pappy

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on October 21, 2007, 10:56:16 AM
Do you have the panel out in the elements so it gets rain and ice on it?  ..... and how long has it lasted so far?

My $40 unit ( panel / collector) from Harbor Freight has been out in the elements for 18 months now with the same batteries (3 AAA's) it came with... A feature I like is it's got a switch on the light inside of the Privy,,, saves  on the power supply... So Far that is  :) 

Remember we have VERY COLD winta's up here  :D I just knock the snow off the panel most of the time,, it's set at a 45 degree angle so it ain't self cleaning  ;)

Here's a shot of our one holer   ;D
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15102.msg48307#msg48307
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Left Coast Chris

Thanks Pappy,

The Harbor Frieght route looks like the way to go.  I would mount my panel at 45 degrees also.   

If the unit has 3AAAs ............ are they rechargable off of the panel or do the lights run directly off the panel?

Either way, sounds like the batteries have lasted real well......... unless of course you are VERY FAST about doing your business in the privy....... ::) :) :)

Furby

The 3 AAAs are rechargable via the panel.
The ones in my unit will allow the lights to stay on all night.
But I just got it this summer so I don't know how the cold will affect it.

pappy

Left Coast Chris ,
Yup the batteries can be charged off of the panel if you have the charger for them...
I never tried yankin the batts out ta see if the light would run just off the panel ,,,the batts are in the panel up on the roof,,,, the light only works at night ( light sensor switch) so hence the window in the privy...  :)

Here's one over at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company also,, mine has a switch (which is nice) as the one over at NT,,, I like the idea of a switch cause I know I'll have light when I needs ta go in da middle of the night  :o We don't leave it on all the time,, just when ya guts binness ta do...   ;D

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306871_200306871

Thank You Sponsors!