iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long rails for Lucas mill

Started by brdmkr, October 19, 2007, 10:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Do any of you guys with Lucas mills have really long rails?  I am referring to rails that would allow you to cut 30+ feet.  At one time Lucas had a picture of a setup like this posted on the net.  I can't seem to find it now.  I am trying to figure out just how these extensions work.  Do you have 'end stands' in the middle that have to be adjusted like you would normally just have on the ends?  If so, how do you lower the middle and one end at the same time if working alone?   Can this even be done?  I can see how this would work on the Peterson WPF, ASM, etc . as their rails don't move, but I just can't wrap my noggin around how this works with the Lucas.  Any help is appreciated.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

CALSAW

Hi, You've got it right, with the 6 meter extentions there is a third frame in the middle, were the rails are spliced together. The 2 meter extentions just make the track longer, and you use 2 frames like normal, supposed to use a midspan sway brace on both sides of the track. I don't have any myself but I've seen it done, with 3 guys, 1 for each winch. Of course if your cutting 30+ foot product you'll want those 2 other guys to help anyway! I don't think it would be possible to use a 3 frame setup alone. The old Bailey's vhs Lucas video showed them cutting 40 foot beams with the 6 meter extentions and some helpers.
Somewhere I saw a picture of a setup with 3 rails (18 meters) and 4 frames!!!
Matt
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

Timburr

Breadmaker, I asked the very same question about two years, so you might glean some info. from THIS OLD FF THREAD.  Is it the one you're looking for?
Sense is not common

brdmkr

Thanks Timburr,

That is persactly what I was looking for.  Any idea how long the insert is that holds the long sections of the rail together?

Birdmarker
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Timburr

Bardsmoker, in an answer, no!!
I suspect the bloke in the above link went for a more local sawyer for his boatwork.  We are still waiting for the occasion, to mill longer than standard Lucas, to arrive.

After studying the proportions in Lucas Mill Pty Ltd's link (post # 3, thread above), I reckon the inserts are a min. of 2 feet in length.  If you're making your own, the longer the better, I'd say..... less rail distortion when the weight of the carriage runs over the join.

Have you access to extra rails, winch end frames and stays?   We have a mutual agreement with a local fellow Lucas driver, for a small hire fee of course.

p.s.  Before you ask, "bard" is bacon or pork fat ;D
Sense is not common

brdmkr

I ain't never smoked no bard!  BUT, if it taste like bacon, I'd give it a shot.

Regarding the extra rails....  I have something in the works!  I will post some pics when all is set up.

Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd

brdmkr,

The sleeves to join sets of rails are made from the same material as the track extensions. These are about 170cm long.

It is also a good idea to make up a plate to help align the 2 rails when joined.

Regards

Matthew

brdmkr

Not sure what you are talking about by 'plate'.  Flat steel with bolts through the rails?  Does anybody have a picture of the joint between the rails?

Timburr

Brdmkr,
Sorry, I should have been more specific earlier.

For your perusement, the doc. link in reply # 3 from Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd in the OLD THREAD shows the diagram you're looking for.
Sense is not common

LOGDOG

Breadmaker ...Birdmarker ... Bardsmoker ....???   Here this whole time I thought it stood for Boardmaker. Boy was I off.  :) ;)

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!