iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Junk in a tree trunk

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 16, 2003, 05:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I was over at the farm where i worked as a teenagr, we were walking the grounds and came across this old pice of equipment. The maple tree has grown completly around it.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I sure would love to have that for my collection! (Not by hitting it with a saw though!)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I sure would love to have that for my collection!

THis summer, I will try to remember where we were and go again and get a picture. We were 4 wheeling up by the cabin and got back in some really rocky stuff above a cedar swamp. There was a strip of maples just above the cedar line. We got out and walked down there for a break adn found the back of the cab of an old truck. (30's?) a mable had grown up through the backwindow and was know about 30-40 foot tall and about 12 to 14 DBH.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ohsoloco

I'd like to see a picture of that, Jeff.  When I was in Philadelphia a few years ago, I was wandering around South Street with my brother, and on one of the side streets there were some old sycamore trees that had wrought iron fence sticking out of them.  Looked like many years ago when the trees were very small these fences were put up around them (like they are in a lot of towns).  Over the years the trees just grew right around them.  I'll be in Philly in a couple of weeks, but I'll be in north philly...don't think I'll make it to South Street in the daylight.

AtLast

Just goes to show Mother Nature always wins...whats that old commercial...." Its not nice to fool with Mother Nature" ;D

burlman

your picture reminded me of a find I had a few years ago, very much the same. I was clearing a spot for a landing along a fallow field. There is a 12in cedar along the edge that has a set of spike harrows buried in it. I guess the last time that field was worked up the old farmer leaned the harrows up against the then small cedar tree. Research I discovered that the old fellow died that following winter, so no one ever discovered the missing equipment in the under growth.  I also saw a two man crosscut saw that somebody placed in a crotch of a small yellow birch probably so it wouldn't get lost in the snow over night, and for whatever reson never returned. A couple of buddies found it last fall during the deer hunt, they cut it off and broght back to there hunt camp for a decoration. It is quite a conversation piece....burlman..

Furby

woodtick#2

At the family campground right around the horse shoe pit we cut a large oak.  We soon found out this oak was hiding a horse shoe.
-Nathan

SPIKER

I have a maple on my place that has a 1/2" cable buried in the crotch of the tree.  Back when we were kids we found a old shotgun that someone leaned against a tree & lost/forgot.   It was grown about 8" into the tree. and the stock was rotted off at ground level.   (it was way rusted & bad shape.)   knowing hunting I figure someone got them one and parked the gun & cleaned the kill & carried back what they could got dark & forgot where they were at & could not find it on return.   Or sat down with the gun and ended up getting into trouble hunting the wrong land ?

We thought about trying to dig it out of the tree but there was little left worth much more than a souvenir.

MARK
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

woodtick#2

That stump with the gun hanging out would make a nice corner piece for the living room or cabin
-Nathan

Magicman

I have a Cherrybark Oak what has grown around our old cotton planter.  My plans are to cut the tree and then squirt the stump to prevent sprouting.  I'll then have to wait a couple of years for the stump to rot away to retrieve the planter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodtick#2

At my grandparents campground they parked an old model a ford in the field.......needless to say there is a 10 inch maple growing up through it
-Nathan

Magicman

I hacked-n-squirted some Honey Locust trees that had grown through our old hay rake that had been left parked next to the field.  I should be able to retrieve it this year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm glad to see this one bounced back up from the early days. I was stopped in traffic on the Baltimore Washington Parkway a few years back and saw an old sawblade stuck in a tree next to a bridge. Always wondered about who stuck it there and why.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 07, 2011, 12:05:27 AMI was stopped in traffic on the Baltimore Washington Parkway

Been there, done that-----no fun.

Bruce

thecfarm

Me too.Seems like every time we go visit the stepson we get caught there.Never noticed the saw though.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ellmoe

I bought some cypress logs from a middle-aged logger many years ago. The trees he cut came from a swamp near Disney World. His family , mostly loggers, had lived in this area for generations. While cutting this timber he came upon an axe head stuck in a cypress tree. It was well embedded, had been there many years. The handle was gone. When he pulled the head out, he saw that some initials had been welded on the head. They were his Dad's. His Dad did that on all his metal tools. It turned out that his Dad had logged that swamp many years before. What are the odds? smiley_headscratch
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

clww

Quote from: SPIKER on March 06, 2011, 10:24:15 PM
I have a maple on my place that has a 1/2" cable buried in the crotch of the tree.  Back when we were kids we found a old shotgun that someone leaned against a tree & lost/forgot.   It was grown about 8" into the tree. and the stock was rotted off at ground level.   (it was way rusted & bad shape.)   knowing hunting I figure someone got them one and parked the gun & cleaned the kill & carried back what they could got dark & forgot where they were at & could not find it on return.   Or sat down with the gun and ended up getting into trouble hunting the wrong land ?

We thought about trying to dig it out of the tree but there was little left worth much more than a souvenir.

MARK
I just got home from a bid for another major oak tree removal in a residential area here in VB, and I told the guy about this shotgun story. He really got a kick out of that. I always ask the tree owners if there's any metal "surprises" that they know of in their trees, before I cut them down. I haven't found any tools yet but have segments of chain, 2 railroad spikes, many square nails, the usual tacks and screws, rifle bullets (fired) and a completely intact raccoon skeleton! That was in a hollow section on a big limb. I just got the call back for the winning bid, too. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: clww on March 07, 2011, 04:05:55 PM
I just got the call back for the winning bid, too. ;D

Congrats, and the junk  :)  hunts continue. 

jaythecelt

Wow - this thread is so old, I'm surprised a tree hasn't grown around IT  ;)
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

Weekend_Sawyer

Unfortunatley, there is a housing development there now. This was the horse farm where I worked as a teenager. Sad to see it go.

clww

Quote from: jaythecelt on March 08, 2011, 05:10:05 PM
Wow - this thread is so old, I'm surprised a tree hasn't grown around IT  ;)
:D :D :D Jay-that made me laugh out loud! :D :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!