iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY Outdoor Wood Furnace

Started by clif, October 19, 2007, 12:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clif

Author   Topic: DIY outdoor furnace  (Read 290 times)
Clif and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.
Clif
Board stacker

DIY outdoor furnace
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »   
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems like there was a topic on this before.  I would like to know more on building one.  Clif

Report to moderator    216.67.78.107
Dana
Off bearer

Re: DIY outdoor furnace
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:19:31 AM »   
 It was DangerousDan who built an underground outdoor furnace. The info was on the old hard drive. If you don't have time to wait for the restoration, instant message him.

Report to moderator    Logged
jokers
Off bearer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:29 AM »   
I don`t think there is any rocket science in building a non-pressurized wood fired boiler, build a firebox surrounded by a water jacket and add a few controls depending on what features you want it to have.
Here`s a somewhat amusing anecdote. I used to sell Heatmor and one day while I was taking delivery of a few units the semi driver, who happened to be from northern Minnesota where they are built, asked how much people were paying for them and why they don`t just build their own? He rolled his eyes and stated that homebuilts are everywhere in northern Mn and that you rarely see one of these factory built models. hmmmmmmmm................
I haven`t gone to check for myself yet. Wouldn`t be surprised though.

beenthere
Sawyer

EIEIO

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 06:55:17 AM »   
My wood boiler is from N. MN, and is like jokers says...just two rolled steel tubes, one inside the other...welded together. Only 'rocket science' on mine is a well formed cast iron air-tight door well engineered for the purpose. Then a draft opening with a damper that is opened and closed by a thermostat (default is closed). If ever the original fails, I will have a new one made at the local welding shop. Mine is pressurized to about 12-15 psi. Has controls similar to a hot-water heater, including the safety release.
Has been functional since 1975...had a new back plate welded in once. About a 9 gal water jacket and the 1400 sq ft home is easily heated in the coldest of winters. Only fire with gas when gone for a weekend or trip.

Roy M
Millwright

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:23:07 AM »   
Homebuilts are illegal here, not CSA approved.  Particulate emissions are the issue.

sawguy21 in a previous life

Corley5
Off bearer

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:33:07 AM »   
Be sure to use the proper materials.  My factory built stainless unit was welded together with mild steel wire.  It began leaking the 2nd season.  The manufacturer not the distributor is sending me a new one      He's standing behind it even though it's not his warranty.  He built it to the distributor specs and they won't honor the warranty.  I think he should have known better than to use that wire but I'm getting a new unit so it's    

jokers
Off bearer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »   
I`ve been talking with a few friends about building a few and my guiding priniciple is KISS, Keep It Simple Smarty!
I also believe that a cleaner burn will be achieved if the unit fires more frequently, as you have with a smaller water jacket. I like the forced induction that my Heatmor uses and would probably use that in my new units. I`m also thinking about shaker grates for coal, anyone got any experience?

Corley5
Off bearer

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »   
My boiler has shaker grates as does my Grandma's Heatmor    I wouldn't want one without them  

jackpine
Board stacker

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »   
By all means put shaker grates in the furnace. My Aqua-Therm does not have them and it is a real problem with ash buildup on the grates. I have to rake the ashes back and forth over the grates to get them to fall through as the slots in the grates are too narrow also.
Bill

Don P
Off bearer

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 05:25:13 PM »   
I've wondered, how do any of these pass emissions, is it a different standard than say a woodstove?
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

clif

Jeff, my first attempt at moving this just disappeared.   :o Sooo if you find it some place please just delete it.  Clif

Thanks for the info here it has got the wheels turning.  I have this huge homemade wood burner in my shop that I might try and modify some way.  The firebox is 54 " tall , 30" in diameter 1/2" thick steel with an upper door for feeding and a lower door for  ash removal. Hmmm maybe I can take a picture and get some suggestions.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

beenthere

Clif
Do you have any Would like to see pics of your wood burner? ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!