iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tour of the STIHL manufacturing plant at VA Beach

Started by MartyParsons, October 18, 2007, 11:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Lisa and I are at Virginia Beach, VA and tomorrow we get to go the the STIHL manufacturing facility. Stihl is the only manufacturing company to make their own cutting bars and Stihl chain. I will take some pictures and post them if you are interested.
Stihl is a family owned company, they have great support for their dealer network. A high % of the Stihl equipment is manufactured in the USA  8) . Can you tell I just came from a sales meeting.  ;D I will post more tomorrow if you are interested.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Warbird

Yes!  I'd love to see some pics.  I've been using Stihl chainsaws for a very long time and they are the best, IMO.  It's the only brand of saw I've used at temps colder than -50 F and it did its job.

beenthere

I'd be interested. In fact, even if it was a Husky plant... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

QuoteA high % of the Stihl equipment is manufactured in the USA
Marty,
Be ready for some disappointment.
The bars and chains are made in Switzerland.
The professional saws are made in Germany and Brazil.
The brush cutter manufacturing is being moved gradually to China.
Only the smaller saws, the tools with 4mix engines, blowers and some of the brushcutters are being made in Virginia Beach.
QuoteStihl is a family owned company, they have great support for their dealer network.
The family owned company does not seem to be that any more.It is now being run like any other corporate.Valuable things like dealers' support and brand loyalty are taking a severe beating because of this.
I should know because I am experiencing it right now.
OK, I am in India, so it might be only us right now. But given enough time, you can expect the new policies to hit the North American continent.
Joe

SwampDonkey

I was wondering when all this took place, since all my Stihls have been German Made, stamped right on the crank case. My Stihl blades all come from Sweden.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Stihl has gotten so big the family can no longer be involved in the day to day operations. The Canadian arm is giving us headaches too although we have a great rep. I am looking forward to Marty's pictures, apparently it is an amazing plant.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I do have one complaint though. The dang brush saw harness will chafe the hide off ya. Next spring I'm getting a Husky or Jonserred harness. I have to put a towel between me and that Stihl harness at the moment.  Just call me the 'Caped Crusader' behind a Harley bush whacker.  ;D It's already about fallen to pieces anyway. :(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cut4fun

Just what I was told, the MS361 and smaller are made in the U.S. Plant. The chains steel comes from Ohio and is sent overseas to be made. I dont know about the U.S. bars where made, but heard the stihl bars in Canada were made by Oregon for them.
I also hear the Can bars are not of the same quality of the ones we get in the U.S.
This is all 2nd hand info from a local stihl dealer, so take it as you may and research if it is important to you.

beenthere

My Stihl bar is stamped "made in Germany". 
The saw itself, cannot find where it is made.
It's MS361, w/20"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I thought the MS361 was made in Germany and anything smaller, elsewhere?  Where ever my MS270 was made, they did it right.  ;D

As for that MS361...  mmmm, mmmm.  That is one seksi chainsaw.  I would have upgraded this week but couldn't make up the $450 difference for trading in my 270.  :(  Ah well.  As someone pointed out, this means next year I can just outright buy a new one and keep the 270!  :)

MartyParsons, how's them pictures coming along?

SwampDonkey

sawguy21

To the best of my knowledge the MS440/441 and up are made in Germany, the rest available in north America are made in Virginia Beach. I would be interested to know where the smaller saws sold in other countries like Australia, NZ, or India are built.

amberwood

MS460 is German, MS250 made in Brazil..but I bought that in the US

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

joe_indi

QuoteI would be interested to know where the smaller saws sold in other countries like Australia, NZ, or India are built
The largest selling Stihl saw in India is the MS460, followed by the MS660.
We also have 380(381 now), 360 and, a few 260.
The 460, 660, 260 are of German manufacture while as the 380/381, 360 are from Brazil.
Smaller saws like the 180,230, 290, 390 are sold only in limited numbers.
Though these carry the legend "Made in Germany", I know for sure that the 180 and 230 are from Virginia.290 and 390 too are made there, but they are also made in Germany.I am not sure which version we get here.
The larger saws are bought by professional users for year round cutting, while as the latter go into the hands of occasional users which in some cases never see the light of day.

Joe

sawguy21

Do you still get the 360? We do not see the 380/381 at all.

MartyParsons

Well, I will try to get you the information on what % of the Stihl equipment is manufactured in the USA. The Chain saw bar plant is brand new and yes I saw them being produced at VA Beach. Yes the Stihl Chain saw chain is manufactured in another country. I did see the FS Trimmers and Brushcutters being made and the FC Edgers, HS Hedge trimmers, Kombi System KM series, The are coming out with an blower attachment for it in the spring. The BG and the BR blowers with the 4 -Mix engines. They were assembling some of the Chain saws there, I do not remember which units they were working on. So much to see  :o Camera was a no go in the plant. I did get some shots of the museum. Stihl even made a farm tractor with a two stroke engine.
   As for dealer support, I can not say enough of what they have done for us to get us started. Stihl has been here for us on every issue and is willing to go the extra mile any time I ask them for help. The employes at the Virginia Beach plant seem to be happy and from what they said the average employee has over 6 years. Every dealer we talked to was also content with the results of customer loyalty. Stihl also will not support any dealer who sells in the internet ( e-bay ) etc . They get one warning and then they are removed from the their dealership no matter how much they sold.
I will try to get time to answer more questions later and get you exact information.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Cut4fun

Quote from: Warbird on October 21, 2007, 12:40:11 PM
I thought the MS361 was made in Germany and anything smaller, elsewhere?  Where ever my MS270 was made, they did it right.  ;D

As for that MS361...  mmmm, mmmm.  That is one seksi chainsaw.  I would have upgraded this week but couldn't make up the $450 difference for trading in my 270.  :(  Ah well.  As someone pointed out, this means next year I can just outright buy a new one and keep the 270!  :)

There is a stihl dealer in ILL that sales the 361 with 20" b+c for $499. So there is wiggle room for the dealers out there.

sawguy21

??? I sure would like to know what he pays for them.

MartyParsons

The MS 361 C-B 20" bar lists for $ 619.95. His cost would depend what dealer level he is. Some dealers could not even purchase the saw for $ 499.00  :o  or even close to that.
What should a dealer make on a sale of a $ 620.00 unit? How long do you want the dealer to stay in business? Where should the dealer make his living, on the price of the saw or the labor when it breaks down or the parts you may purchase to keep it running.
   I have been asking these questions every day since we started selling Stihl. Some dealers will sell the units for cost and make up the difference on the service and parts. Some dealers will stick to list price. I guess for the consumer you go to the cheapest guy in the area? What about service, do you go to the least expensive or the best most experienced tech department, does it depend on what service you need?
  What about advertising. Do you respond to an special in the local newspaper. These days there are many ways for you to spend you time in front of media. I think the internet has changed this for many business. Just like you reading this now. You are hundreds or thousands of miles from my business. You and me we all learn together about many things of the same interest, that is what this is a great place for me and you to spend time and share knowledge.  8)
Marty

Warbird

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 24, 2007, 01:39:42 PM

There is a stihl dealer in ILL that sales the 361 with 20" b+c for $499. So there is wiggle room for the dealers out there.

Whoa.  You think you could hook me up with the dealer's contact info??  And are you sure that is for a brand new saw, not a rebuilt used one?

beenthere

It is what I paid for my MS361, 2 chains, 20" bar, but that was back in '04. 
south central Wisconsin

Cut4fun

Quote from: Warbird on October 24, 2007, 10:16:51 PM
Quote from: Cut4fun on October 24, 2007, 01:39:42 PM

Whoa.  You think you could hook me up with the dealer's contact info??  And are you sure that is for a brand new saw, not a rebuilt used one?
LOL Brand spanking new and have been that price all year. Look at pm's for info. But beware, you have to have someone pick up the saw, they DO NOT SHIP.

sawguy21

We will ship Stihl ordered from our store but they will not drop ship our orders direct from the factory or distribution warehouse. Our dealer agreement specifies the unit be assembled and test run before delivery but this is not always possible. Often, our customers are going overseas or into remote areas by air.

joe_indi

QuoteDo you still get the 360? We do not see the 380/381 at all

sawguy,
We still get the 360 here in India.Its made in Brazil.A good saw here to work alongside a 460.
The 380 was also from Brazil, but since a couple of months ago, has  been discontinued.
Instead the 381 has been introduced.Basically its built same as a 380,  a decompression valve has now been fitted.This removes the risk of damaged tendons, a tradition with the 038.
However, the parts list shows that the crankcase, piston and cylinder are not inter-changeable with the 380.
RPM and power seem to have been tweaked.
I have just received a 381 for field evaluation.I will have to put it through its paces before I can give my opinion on it.
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!