iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats for supper again

Started by Jeff, October 18, 2007, 09:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

They say what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. That's my fear when I eat bean soup the same day its made. :D

Tammy's Northern bean soup is awesome the second day, but I aint smart enough to wait. It cooked all day, so the anticipated effects may not show up. So far, so good. :)

8 Cups water
1 Pound dried Great Northern beans
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
2 1/4 pounds smoked ham
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 cups mashed potatoes
2 medium carrots, cut

Heat water and beans to boiling in Dutch oven; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.

Add tomato sauce, ham, onion, instant bouillon, salt, pepper, and garlic to beans. Heat to boiling reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender about 2 hours (do not boil or beans will burst).

Stir potatoes, and carrots into soup. Heat to boiling reduce heat. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in 1 to 2 cups milk or water for thinner consistency.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

Oohhhhhh.........I don't wanna be anywhere around when they do  ;D ;D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

asy

ANOTHER reason I'm really glad to be on the other side of the world... 

smiley_airfreshener  wait_smiley

I'll let you know if we feel the effects here...
smiley_turkey_dancing
asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Norm

That's a great recipe Jeff, thanks. I've heard that if you throw out the water after the initial boil it helps to cut down on the gas problems.

Now if you ask me it's no worse than the ride to work with my old boss that thought Schlitz was great beer. :D

Jeff

UPDATE!

No "ill" effects from the beans. That means I'm raring to go to have some more today. That makes a pretty big batch of bean soup, so for two people, there is lots of leftovers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BBK

Don't y'all know if ya eats your beans right side up you can stay in respectable company. ;D

You eats dem beans wrong side down you ain't fit company fer the dawg. :-[ :-[ :-[
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

theorm

Quote from: asy on October 19, 2007, 11:33:35 AM
ANOTHER reason I'm really glad to be on the other side of the world... 

smiley_airfreshener  wait_smiley

Australia, if it was any further away it would be closer. Think about it.

:P Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

asy

I CAN'T think about that Theo, it's too painful...  Have a headache and it's too roundaboutey to be thinkaboutable.

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Tom

Theorm..   If asy got any closer she'd miss it.  :-\

olyman

thats a great recipe Jeff, thanks. I've heard that if you throw out the water after the initial boil it helps to cut down on the gas problems. ------the way i read it--three times in water--and throw the water---also read theres something you can put in the first water--and you wont gas either--but dont rem what it was----

Furby

Quote from: olyman on October 20, 2007, 03:10:48 PM
also read theres something you can put in the first water--and you wont gas either--but dont rem what it was----

Probly has to do with boiling something other then beans, then you don't have to worry about the gas! ;D

metalspinner

Quotealso read theres something you can put in the first water--and you wont gas either--but dont rem what it was----

Mom uses bay leaf.  Bay leaf tea works pretty good, too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

I had grilled pork chops (the thick ones) and corn-on-the-cob tonight.  With home-made BBQ sauce.  Whoa!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Barbecued pork steak, sweet corn, english peas, and macaroni and cheese.  food6
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

Quote from: WDH on October 20, 2007, 11:05:12 PM
I had grilled pork chops (the thick ones) and corn-on-the-cob tonight.  With home-made BBQ sauce.  Whoa!
That sounds too good to be legal.  8) I am glad I'm not a vegetarian, would miss out on too many good meals.

limbrat

Two links of boudin and a raw turnip. its an aquired taste
ben

tonich

Quote from: Norm on October 19, 2007, 12:06:13 PM
I've heard that if you throw out the water after the initial boil it helps to cut down on the gas problems.

Second that! - I always discard the water after the initial boil.
I use to cook very rarely, though.

Very good recipe, Jeff. Thanks!   digin_2

sawguy21

Had roast pork tenderloin with scalloped potatoes and salad last night. Baked apples and whipped cream for dessert. No, I definitely did not cook such a fine meal. :D

flip

Hot dogs, smores, turtle soup and pork steak.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

tonich

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 22, 2007, 10:28:59 AM
Had roast pork tenderloin with scalloped potatoes and salad last night. Baked apples and whipped cream for dessert. No, I definitely did not cook such a fine meal. :D

Sounds delicious, but… some pictures would make it more descriptive.  ;)
Moreover, I have always considered traditional meals as an important part of people’s culture all over the world. It tells much, it makes a big difference. Thus I am eager to have a glance at your dish, there, in north-west America.  :) :) :)

Roxie

The family came for supper last night, we had:
Roast Beef
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Autumn roasted vegetables (butternut squash, brussel spouts, baby carrots)
Homemade biscuits w/homemade grape jelly

The best part of the whole meal was those vegetables.  I had never tried roasting that combination before. 

Tonight we're gonna have the Roast Beef and roasted vegetables ... again.  The kids cleaned us out of mashed potatoes, gravy and biscuits. 
Say when

WDH

Quote from: Roxie on October 22, 2007, 02:28:35 PM
Homemade biscuits w/homemade grape jelly

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

Roxie, I think WDH is gonna be on your doorstep tonight. ;D

Carries-Mom

That's what we had last night...boy, that roast was delicious.. digin_2  I put mine in the crock pot and let it cook all day and talk about melt in your mouth..tonight, we're having meat loaf, loaded baked potatoes and fresh peas...

Thank You Sponsors!