iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some of my handmade planes

Started by Daren, October 18, 2007, 06:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I am having computer problems today ? I can't stay connected. I have to make this fast, I will explain more later if anyone is interested.

"restored" Stanley Bailey #28. Walnut and cherry

Walnut and curly maple "experimental" 2" wide steel, 2 wedges.

Curly maple and walnut 1" radius profile cutter, my first plane I built ever.

Honeylocust and walnut plane. I found some very good steel, this one cuts unbelievably. I am working on some micro and mini planes with a low angle for luthiers and small work. I will post pictures someday. I am currently way behind on other stuff.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Burlkraft

WOW Daren.... :o :o :o

Those are awesome. You always post some great project pics  ;) ;) ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Corley5

Those are awesome  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodsteach

Those are grrrrreat!

Any tips on plane making?  I might have a student or 2 needing something to keep busy and those might be just the ticket.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

fitter

Hey Daren !
  Nice job! I`m gonna have to get over and take a look when I get caught up.
  Are you buildin` them to use or thinkin` about sellin` any?
  I`ll talk to Lisa about price. I`ll probably get a better deal from her ;D ;D
                                               Later
                                                dad
You did good

Don_Papenburg

I like them !  All this time I have left them old wood stanleys pass on auctions . Going to change my ways now . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Don_Papenburg

I like them !  All this time I have left them old wood stanleys pass on auctions . Going to change my ways now .  
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Daren

Quote from: woodsteach on October 19, 2007, 08:56:54 PM

Any tips on plane making? 

This kinda goes to Don_Ps mentioning auctions too. That is what I am doing buying old beat planes to study and for the steel. It is weird the collectors put the ones in pristine condition way out of my price range, but the ones that show some wear/dents, general wood problems they leave alone. I have been picking them up for $3-$10 pretty regular on that one online auction place. Which I cannot quite figure out, I originally was just going to buy new irons and make the rest from scratch...but the irons are $30-$50 (where I looked) I am quite new to making planes, like less than a month. I still have alot to learn the old ones let me feel them and see how they work. I am not a "tell me how" learner I usually have to have something to hold and study.

The iron on the little honeylocust and walnut plane is the hardest steel I have ever sharpened, and I run a sharpening business I have see my fair share of steel. The iron is stamped Sandusky Tool Company.

I am not ruining the old planes either, I am just "borrowing" the irons and still keeping the old bodies. The cool thing about most of them is they have some guys name stamped on them, the guy who bought it new, I like that.

I will not get back to making them for a little while, when I do I will post more pictures.

Dave Shepard

Wow! Those are awesome Daren! Did you have a book to tell you how to get started, or did you just git r done? I like old tools too, especially if they have someones initials in them, makes them more important to me.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Daren

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 20, 2007, 08:49:46 PM
Did you have a book to tell you how to get started,

No, I just made one as an experiment...and really liked the time I spent doing it and it worked well, so I made more. Now I am looking for reference material. I kinda go about things backwards sometimes, well most times  :D

Dave Shepard

Well, those are some pretty nice experiments. ;) I have seen a book on wooden plane building, but haven't layed my hands on it yet.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Daren

I needed a little bullnose scraper so I made one. It's for small stuff, cleaning glue lines, whatever. I made the iron from some old saw blade steel, it is sharp and works good.

OneWithWood

Very nice.  Is that your own design?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Daren

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 30, 2007, 01:05:27 PM
Is that your own design?

Yea, at least I have never seen one like it  :P. It is similar to other ones sorta like it (if that makes sense  ???)

Dave Shepard

I have never seen an open sided plane like that before. All of the planes I have seen that have had a full width iron have had narrow tops to fit into the body, like a rabbet, for example. Very neat Daren, how do you have time to saw and sharpen and make planes and everything else you do? :)

Dave

Daren

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 30, 2007, 06:35:36 PM
All of the planes I have seen that have had a full width iron have had narrow tops to fit into the body

how do you have time to saw and sharpen and make planes and everything else you do? :)

I have made some full width irons (just on the cutting end, like you mentioned) I was thinking with this one since the iron was so narrow I needed a bigger sole. The plane kinda rides on the side of the cut material, it is made for cleaning glue lines either out in the open or along an edge, like inside of a box or something. Or for taking down an inlay on an edge of a flat surface. I thought if the plane was as narrow as the iron it may not be stable side to side, but I did not want a big honkin chunk of wood to hold a little piece of steel. I have bare steel scrapers with no wood, I was looking for a functional mix of the 2. That is another reason it is wide open on the front, to see what I am cutting and to keep it from clogging up. What do I know, I am just experimenting.

I find time because my wife works long hours at a corporate job, with a commute. And we don't have any kids. I get 12 hours a day to do what ever I want.

Dave Shepard

That is one of J P Getty's advice for success, work half a day, every day. He said it doesn't matter if it's the first half, or the second half, as long as you get your 12 hours in. :D :D I really admire your planes, and I think experimenting is great, why do what everyone else does, that would be pretty darn boring.

Dave

Daren

Last one for awhile (logs/other work seem to be stacking up  ::)) An experimental all wood spoke shave I made this morning. The iron is very old and very sharp. I used "exotic" wood, don't ask me what it is. I swapped a guy a box of my curly/burly/spalted scraps for a box of his wood. All I do know it if you are going after anything in the box he sent with a handtool, it better be sharp or you won't even scratch it  :o.

thedeeredude

Very nice spokeshave and planes Daren. 8)  Do you think the spokeshave could be zebrawood?

Daren

Quote from: thedeeredude on November 01, 2007, 06:26:29 PM
  Do you think the spokeshave could be zebrawood?

Dunno, could be   ::).

One more. A Japanese inspired plane. My best one yet. It pulls shavings as thin as rice paper. This is a new hobby for me ,plane making. I am heading this direction, I am fascinated by Japanese hand tools (I am just used to doing things backwards I guess  :D)

Daren

I made another awhile back. Redbud with some burl for the body, curly maple sides and mineral stained quilted rock maple wedge. I kinda forgot about this thread, I have been building other stuff (Christmas presents...my wife has quite a list, and growing  :D)

LeeB

Very nice Daren. Is the last one also Japanese style? What did you use for a finish? I've got a few small boards of redbud that I was thinking of making boxes or some such out of. I had no idea it could be that beautiful.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Daren

Quote from: LeeB on November 15, 2007, 08:14:56 PM
Is the last one also Japanese style? What did you use for a finish? I've got a few small boards of redbud that I was thinking of making boxes or some such out of. I had no idea it could be that beautiful.

Yea it is another pull plane. I work with figured wood alot and I just like "looking down the barrel"  :D. I hate it when I run a plane over something and once I lift it there is a chuck missing because of the curly grain and tearout (maybe I am still inexperienced?)
I use Tung oil on all my planes, easy to maintain.
As far as redbud I have fallen in love with the stuff. That was some burly scraps I had. I have sawed a bunch of it for lumber here lately, hard to find anything to make "boards" out of but it is cool. It is really hard wood, it is great for small projects and live edge stuff. I just threw some live edge slabs in the kiln the other day, I have a bookcase (?) in mind.

LeeB

How wide are those boards. I've got 4 of them about 6" x 8', 4/4. I could get more but Lindy has a fit if I cut her flower trees down. This one was sticking out in the drive, so it had to go with her blessings fortunatly. I mistakenly cut another one once and still haven't heard the end of it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!