iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 208D grapple skidder (w/pics, and now it runs!)

Started by Dave Shepard, October 18, 2007, 10:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

The only tag I have seen so far is a Timberjack tag, with serial number and part number. As far as I know, the case is in working order, but it does seem to be leaking, the oil is going out, and the water is getting in. >:( I still haven't figured out the mystery lever yet. Anyone know if a 208 has high and low range?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MaineLogger

Hi Dave!Yes the transfer should have high range(for roading)neutral(for winching)and low range(for skidding).I have parts manuals and repair manuals for all Timberjack's up to 1989.Do you have the serial#?
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum MaineLogger.Midcoast area?Brunswick-Topsom area?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MaineLogger!

My machine's tag says it is a 208G-S model, serial 788,xxx, unit 0576. Thanks for the help.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MaineLogger

Quote from: thecfarm on December 26, 2007, 10:13:20 AM
Welcome to the forum MaineLogger.Midcoast area?Brunswick-Topsom area?
Thanks!Actually to the east a little bit,I live in Cushing,it borders Thomaston,Warren,Friendship.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

MaineLogger

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 26, 2007, 11:10:37 AM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MaineLogger!

My machine's tag says it is a 208G-S model, serial 788,682, unit 0576. Thanks for the help.

Dave
Thanks Dave!
Sometimes the first two #'s in the serial will tell you the year,the 78 might mean 1978 which looks about right to me.

The machine is definetly a factory "hybrid" of sorts but everything on that machine is common and easy to find parts for and cheap compared to other brand machines.

A good place to find Timberjack parts is Harold's Logging in Hampden Me.(207)942-8331 or Davco in Farmington Me.(207)778-9060.

Could you take some more pictures of the controls, transmission and center pins?
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Dave Shepard

I'll take some this morning, and have them up sometime in the evening. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Dave Shepard

Here are the pictures of the controls, MaineLogger.

The dash board showing gauges, steering lever, blade lever and winch control:

The shifters. The top one, with black knob, goes to the transmission, the bottom black knob goes to transfer case (H,N,L ?) the middle one without knob goes to bellhousing, and the vertical one is parking brake.

This is a shot of the lever that goes to the bell housing, a reverser maybe? The rod is just a tad to the right of center, and running vertically.

These are the grapple controls, just to the right of the seat. The hydrualic lines run all over the place, so they have either been replaced, or had nowhere to be routed under the tunnel.

Dave

a old timberjack

dave, i can answer your question about the levers. yes, it is obvious . it is a stright 4 speed . thal lever to the side of your tranny is a reverser it has reverse in all 4 gears. parking brake, pretty simple, that little swivel knob on top is the p-brake adjuster ( if it is not froze ) last, the lever in the middle is going stright down is hi and low on the transfer case. all the way forward is hi and back 1 notch is neautral and all the way back is low. when you use your winch, the t-case must be in neautral and your tranny gears determans your winch speeds. i use 2nd when winching,...Brandon 8)
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Dave Shepard

That's cool, a multi speed winch! I have a Farmi, and I like the speed, it will be handy to be able to tailor the speed to the load. The p brake adjust works, it even has a new cable. ;D Anyone know what brand and or model of winch this might have had? I would like to get a winch back on it, if it will fit in between the grapple frames. I don't know if the winch was removed to put the grapple on or not, I think they were both on together at some point.

Update on the rearend parts: talked to the mechanic who took it apart, and he said the last owner vamoosed with them. Have to start calling around for another axle. >:(

Dave

a old timberjack

dave, you should check 2 things when you get a rear. 1st take off the yoke going to the front end and on the end of the pinion shaft ( behind the big nut on the pinion shaft) in small print, it is stamped in , you mite have to clean it with break clean to read it is the ratio .......verry very critical. whatever you get for the back has to be the same.also somewhere on the front end should be a tag on top of the pumpkin or on the back mite be a tag. you have to determin what brand it is a eaton or rockwell. if you are not sure take a pic of the front tire and make sure we can see the hub in the center of the lugnuts ( just by looking at the planetery cover from the side we can tell you what you have )
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Dave Shepard

Here is a shot of the front hub. I'll have to poke around to try and find the front ratio. I hope they are fairly standard. I know where there is an old Trojan loader with this type of axle, but I have no idea if the ratio, and width is the same. Thanks.

Dave

MaineLogger

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 27, 2007, 09:29:54 PM
That's cool, a multi speed winch! I have a Farmi, and I like the speed, it will be handy to be able to tailor the speed to the load. The p brake adjust works, it even has a new cable. ;D Anyone know what brand and or model of winch this might have had? I would like to get a winch back on it, if it will fit in between the grapple frames. I don't know if the winch was removed to put the grapple on or not, I think they were both on together at some point.

Update on the rearend parts: talked to the mechanic who took it apart, and he said the last owner vamoosed with them. Have to start calling around for another axle. >:(

Dave
Your skidder had a Eaton(Hercules) winch.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

MaineLogger

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 27, 2007, 11:46:15 PM
Here is a shot of the front hub. I'll have to poke around to try and find the front ratio. I hope they are fairly standard. I know where there is an old Trojan loader with this type of axle, but I have no idea if the ratio, and width is the same. Thanks.

Dave
I'm not familiar with this type of planetary.My guess is Rockwell or Clark.?Like Brandon said we'll need to look at the #'s or tag on the axle housing itself.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

amberwood

Dave
I have a 205HR, and manuals covering 201-200-205-207-209-217-230. They all seem to use the same Rockewell 5-39, 7.8:1 ratio axle. It looks just like yours.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

MaineLogger

Quote from: amberwood on December 28, 2007, 05:15:38 AM
Dave
I have a 205HR, and manuals covering 201-200-205-207-209-217-230. They all seem to use the same Rockewell 5-39, 7.8:1 ratio axle. It looks just like yours.

DTR
amberwood what years does your manual cover?
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

amberwood

mainelogger
The manuals do not really have any dates in them that I can find. The 205 is a 67".

One is a very ragged original that covers 207-, then I have a PDF downloaded "original" for the earlier models. The previous owner had replaced axles/hubs/diffs using the old manual and it seems to have been close enough to get them by. I downloaded the new one from JD just to cover myself. Rather have it than be stuck out in the bush with the wrong manual!

http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Dave Shepard

Talked to Nash Equipment this morning. They didn't have a complete rear, but can make up enough parts to get me going. They said ratio should be 5.39 or 5.36. I wonder if they used a faster rear with the smaller tires?

Dave

amberwood

tyre size could be the difference. Mine is fitted with the taller grader size tyres. 30*16.9?

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

MaineLogger

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 28, 2007, 07:12:59 PM
Talked to Nash Equipment this morning. They didn't have a complete rear, but can make up enough parts to get me going. They said ratio should be 5.39 or 5.36. I wonder if they used a faster rear with the smaller tires?

Dave
You should find for sure what the front has for a ratio before you buy anything.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Dave Shepard

Messed around with the skidder again today. Changed the oil, and refilled the hyd., ready to fir it up. Except the starter is bad. :( I don't think it would be too bad to change it if it wasn't down in the frame rails of the machine. I thought I was going to have to pull the DanG motor to get the starter out. A little fore thought by the TJ engineers would have made it much easier. I was really close to making some "access ports" with the torch, but found that If I spent an hour removing the entire filter housing assembly, and made a bunch of specialty wrenches, I could get it out without the torch. Timberjack must have hired an ex New Holland engineer to get something this impossible to work on. >:( >:(

Dave

stonebroke

Thats the prblem with engineers. They should have to work on the stuff before they are allowed to design it!!!!!

Stonebroke

jackpine

Being an ex engineering manager, responsible for the hiring and firing of new engineers,I debated about jumping into this thread  ;D  My pet peeve was the quality of education given to new engineers, meaning that they were taught by professors who had no real world  experience. A lot of mechanical eng. is seat of the pants, that's good, and let's go to the next thing, esp. if you are designing one of a kind equip. To spend the time to analize every little thing makes no economic sense. The best mechanical eng. I was able to hire were farm boys, they had the hands on and commom sense req. to do one of projects. Having said that, if you were designing a product that would be made in the thousands, or more, I'm sure a more analitical approach would be good. :D

This all can be selective however, as we were building a one of a kind machine for Delphi and their project manager ask our pipefitter to move a valve because there was limited access to the handle. His response? You change the spark plugs in my van and then tell me which is the hardest to get to. :D

Bill

Dave Shepard

I got the starter back from the shop, and put it in, and it turns over. I didn't try to start it, it's 8° F and I didn't want to burn it out on it's first time out. :D When it warms up a little, I'll put the jumpers on it and see what we get. Only an hour and a half to reassemble, I guess the cold is a motivator. ;)

Dave

Dave Shepard

Well, the TJ is finally running! 8) 8) Put the jumpers on it and gave spun it over for a bit, but it needed a sniff of ether, no surprise there. It took right off, and idles nicely, and revs like a two stroke should. I was going to take a picture of the giant cloud of blue smoke I was expecting as proof, but it never showed. ??? :P Hmm, wasn't expecting that. It puffed a little white for about 20 seconds then cleared out. There is a faint blue when you rev it, but that is OK. 8) Not bad for sitting for a couple of years. Next step: find some axle parts. Nash has some, just have to confirm the ratio.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!