iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230 forwarders?

Started by logman81, April 26, 2014, 11:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Quote from: timberlinetree on May 04, 2014, 06:35:53 AM
Can you put duals on it to make it more stable? While running our 132 franklin it seemed tipsy. Don't know if power loss or drive train holding up would be an issue?
Ive never seen duals, but they claim running the large float tires is actually easier on the drive train. The 353 has just enough power to get her moving. Mine is very tippy but you get used to it, alot of times we will load the bunks side heavy,

logman81

I'm sure with practice you learn what can and can't do. Maybe by not overloading it will keep it more stable.
Precision Firewood & Logging

timberlinetree

Don't like being tipsy whether it's in a machine or in the bar :D. Had a skidder flip halfway over( tree saved me from going all the way)and that was enuff for me. I'm surprised not many use duals on some of the forwarders. Seems like it would really increase stability. Mobility might be an issue for some but would work for us.maybe some day :)

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BEEMERS

Ive heard a lot about those Tree Farmer and the later Franklins with the roof mount being on the extra tippy to start with.Also heard about the nightmare when a hose breaks. I never ran one,Im sure they are tough machines.

logman81

Beemers I've heard the same, how is your mule for stability?

BEEMERS

Id have to guess that's its probably in the middle range for forwarders..Loader is mounted behind cab.Seems pretty stable to me but its the only forwarder I have ever run.

BargeMonkey

Whats your definition of tippy ?  As long as you keep it close to the skid trail, or off the nasty trails you will be fine. The 230 w/ serco isnt to bad to change a hose, couple in the tower are cute but ive wrapped my hose and went thru the machine this last winter.

logman81

sounds good guys thanks for your input. still thinking it over not sure what im going to go with i might just go with a grapple skidder. it will still be a improvement from what i have now. :)

BargeMonkey

Quote from: logman81 on May 06, 2014, 08:37:57 PM
sounds good guys thanks for your input. still thinking it over not sure what im going to go with i might just go with a grapple skidder. it will still be a improvement from what i have now. :)
If you can figure a way to hang onto your skidder, and buy the forwarder thats the way to go. I recently went grapple, and im not 100% happy. Big, runs alot of stuff over, and drinks fuel.

logman81

ya i would but im tired of pulling cable. :D

MUDDY

one more thing i just thought of. our 230 didn't have a fuel gauge. nothing more frustrating than running out in the middle of the woods. >:(

BEEMERS

I agree with BargeMonkey.If you had both working together do what each one does best and working together..that would make things a lot easier.Skidder pulling onto small landings,forwarder doing the long hauls.Forwarder getting what it can easy and skidder getting what it cant. Skidder hauling to landing,forwarder picking and stacking on landing or loading the truck/trailer.

logman81

I understand but I'm a one man crew and to do what your talking about requires more people, something I don't plan to get. The grapple I think may fit my situation better.

BargeMonkey

Nothing says you need to run both till the doors fall off. If you have to move that forwarder to pick up every stick, your going to wanna jump off a cliff. It will take about 4 drags behind your 230 skidder to fill it, keeps the mess out in the woods. What size tires on the grapple ? I asked alot of people, and you need big tires on a grapple if you wanna keep it on the ground or keep it productive. I would bunch and slash in the woods, wait till a wet day, or mornings and forward, nothing like a warm cab.

barbender

I think a forwarder with duals would be a nightmare, unless you are in a clearcut. 8 wheel machines solve the stability and flotation issues (they are a rough ride, though)
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

The grapple skidder has the 24.5"s on it all chained up. It's one of the members machines.

BEEMERS

Im just thinking about running the skidder a few hours or a day maybe until it gets to where the forwarder can take over and make it easy then a few hors or a day then its getting where the forwarder is getting in bad terrain or over a hill or wood intended for the forwarder is cleaned up.Back to the skidder.Some jobs you may not take the skidder,some you may not take the forwarder.Just learn where they are best utilized and keep it easy on you and the machines not talkin extra help.  But if you did....youd have a nice little rodeo goin on.

Thank You Sponsors!