iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Survivorman

Started by Roxie, September 13, 2007, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Is anyone else watching the Surviorman series on TV?  Maybe I'm missing something, but it really irritated me last night. 

I've watched the African plains, the Costa Rican Jungle, and the Amazon shows, and I'm always left wondering why this guy never catches anything to eat, cept bugs and flowers.  Last night's episode was taped at Labrador (which is in the very upper part of Canada).  The guy had a sled and sled dogs, which he intentionally let go with only one day left to "survive"...he had a gun, which he used to start a fire by shooting some rocks...but the only thing he ate was one of the dogs caribou ribs, and some pussy willow.  Seriously, he couldn't shoot something? 

So now to the really annoying part....with one day left to go, there was a sudden warming of the temperature and the ocean ice began to melt.  This guy was sitting at his fire, supposedly without contact with the rest of the world for seven days, when his crew pulled up on snowmobiles to get him out because of the meltdown.  They all went back to the "base" camp, and had a helicopter fly them out. 

I lost a lot of respect for Survivorman last night.  He stole the dogs food (which the dog had already drug through his own feces)...and then for no good reason, let his team of dogs and sled go....then miraculously his "crew" knows exactly where he is located....and they are lifted out by helicopter. 

Maybe it's just me, but I think he ought to be ashamed of himself and the name "Dumbheadman" fits better than "Survivorman". 

Am I wrong?   :)
Say when

crtreedude

Roxie,

You have to be a gringo not to be able to survive in a Costa Rican jungle - there is food EVERYWHERE. When I am in our farms I eat from one corner to the next. Guavas, coconuts, oranges everywhere, manzana de aquas, avocados, shall I go on? An amazing amount of food. And of course in the stream are fresh water prawns the size of small lobsters - crabs, fish of course, frogs, iquana (which taste pretty good)

When poor people head from one part of the country to another they don't pack food - it is falling off the trees.

You give me a gun and drop me off in a Costa Rican jungle and I will come out having gained 5 lbs.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Roxie

The Costa Rico episode was pretty interesting, and he did eat a red fruit of some kind, and he cooked a frog.  He didn't have a gun on that episode, but he had a blow gun and tried (unsucessfully) to get a bird.  At the end of the episode, he high tails it to an enclosed village because a jaguar is following him.   :D
Say when

crtreedude

That is so bogus - no jaguar is going to hunt a person. I have never even heard of that down here. Almost anyone in the jungle has a machete - and Jaguars have learned the hard way a machete is better than claws.

Hope the frog wasn't a poison arrow one...  :D

beenthere

Now Roxie... ::) ::)
Can't get those shows much more fake, with all moves choreographed just for the cameraman and the Director.  It would be too shocking to show something being shot for food, or for any other reason. About fake, it's on a par with professional wrestling. But then, what on TV isn't? 
Even "Dirty Jobs" is faked, albeit the locations and situations are somewhat interesting. 
Sorry, my pessimistic side showeth through.... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Teri

I watch Survivorman all the time.. The other night he was in Alaska. Fish all around him and he couldn't catch any... He found a piece of fish laying on a rock I think the first day he was there. Supposedly he didn't know how long it had been there,as he figured a bird had put it there. ::) He went ahead and ATE the thing!!!

Then the best part is, he finally got his fire going,and decided one night to put it inside his shelter he had made of logs. During the night he let the flames get too high,and set his shelter in fire!!! :D :D   

Roxie

:D  I haven't seen the Alaska episode yet!  That's got to be funny! 

I guess what disturbs me is this guy's lack of ability to find food, even when he has a 22 rifle.  I also wonder what kind of "Survivor" would let the fire go out the way this guy does? 

In the Labrador episode, last night, he conveniently found a fully constructed shelter with a WOOD STOVE inside!  He stayed in there for 3 nights. 

Sadly, I think Beenthere is right.   :D  I was hoping for a "Survivorman" along the lines of Slyvester Stallone in First Blood.  This guy can't even find dinner!
Say when

crtreedude

I think it would be a more interesting Survivorman to drop a good ole country boy into a city like Newark NJ.  I suspect it would be much more dangerous - unless he had cab fair of course... ;)

beenthere

Quote from: Teri on September 13, 2007, 02:31:13 PM
......... ::) He went ahead and ATE the thing!!!

Then the best part is, he finally got his fire going,and decided one night to put it inside his shelter he had made of logs. During the night he let the flames get too high,and set his shelter in fire!!! :D :D   

What is truly amazing to me, are the many who think they really are 'real'.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

The other survivor man type show on Discovery Channel (with the British host) mysteriously hasn't been on the air since the host was outted as a fake.  He would spend some nights of his "surviving" in five star resorts and such.  On the deserted island show the raft he supposedly built on the island was actually flown in. The builder of the raft is the person that outted that show.   

I found the article...
Link to the Article

The Survivorman Host is a Canadian.  He made mention once of his dislike of killing animals.

I think the biggest part missing from these shows is the psycological awarness that you may actually die because you really are lost.  If these guy's really get into troule I am sure their producers are just a radio call away. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

crtreedude

I got news for the person who dislikes killing animals - get hungry enough and everything starts looking pretty good.

I thought the cartoon flick Madagasser was really good that way. When the lion started getting hungry, his friend the zebra ended up with bite marks... Yep, that is about right.

We have canine teeth for a reason.

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o  I can't believe ANYBODY would REMOTELY think that show is real  ::) ::)

The guy is a EX Military Ranger or equivalent, for crying out loud.

Shooting a rock to start a fire ???   ??? ??? ???

Last I knew, bullets were lead and sometimes copper jacketed. Maybe from the muzzle flash, but, I doubt that, too.  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pigman

Well, beenthere burst my bubble when he said that pro wrestling was fake. :o :(

Bob smiley_crying
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

thecfarm

The rate that this is going someone will be saying roller derby is fake too. I cannot remember the last time I sat down and watched TV.I get my fix of the outside world by newspaper.I wonder at times the things that are wrote in there too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LOGDOG

I'm with you guys and gals. My wife was just shanking her head the other night in disbelief as to how lame the show was. The only thing that I got out of it (that I hadn't seen used before and may actually buy one) was that compression fire starting tool. Put a piece of tinder in there and then put the ram in and drive it down. Apprarently the compression creates an ember? I like the idea that it's re-usable. Outside of that big let down. We've definitely got some members here that would make better subjects for that show.

LOGDOG

Mooseherder

Survivor Man takes his clothes off to jump in freezing cold water to get at a plant root similiar to what Moose eat. :D
All the while it's getting dark and he has to make a fire. ;D  
Then he says it is terrible and spits it out.  :D
Ain't he ever heard tell of dat smart guy named Uwel Gibbens tell us we could eat pine tree? ;D
Wait a minute! Wrestling and Roller Derby ain't real? :-X
Next thing you'll say is Santa Claus ain't real. ::)

Furby

No, Santa IS real!
I met him at the piggy roast!!! 8) 8) 8)

Warren

Have not seen the "Survivor Man" show.  I always thought it would be interesting to have a "survivor" type reality show where the contestants are dropped a couple hundred miles "back in the woods" with a map, compass, .22, matches and a knife.  First one out alive wins.  No alliances or voting.  Just let nature sort 'em out....

Regarding not eating meat, heard a quote once attributed to an Alaskan trapper.  Said the difference between what he would and would not eat was generally about 24 hrs.... 

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

farmerdoug

Kind of reminds of the time Babe winkelman was ticketed while filming a show by the DNR.  I heard he had a diver hooking fish onto his line after he casted.  I guess the ticket was for unpermitted release of fish in the lake.  It seems they bought the fish elsewhere. :(

Then the great Fred Trost was ticketed for not buying state and federal duck stamps while goose hunting in Michigan.  You would think he would have known better. ::)

As for shooting a gun at a rock to start a fire.  That would be a good Darwin award winner there. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Tom

Johnny Mack Brown, and those guys, used to do stuff like that in the cowboy movies. :-\

pigman

Doug, are you saying that a person needs a duck stamp to hunt geese in Michigan?  Do you need a goose stamp to hunt ducks?  :-\   

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

We discussed, once upon a time, the need to keep ducks around to stamp out forest fires, but I didn't know there was a charge for the service. ???

Is there a difference in price of a duck stamping as opposed to a good goose stamping?

semologger

Quote from: thecfarm on September 13, 2007, 08:20:23 PM
The rate that this is going someone will be saying roller derby is fake too. I cannot remember the last time I sat down and watched TV.I get my fix of the outside world by newspaper.I wonder at times the things that are wrote in there too.

i just get my info from the good old forstry forum.   theres never any B S
here is there?  ;D

SwampDonkey

I have never seen that show to comment about it. I only get rabbit ear TV here. And there are only about 5 programs I will watch if I remember when they are on. I watch videos of movies and old shows sometimes, but I like 'Gold Trails and Ghost Towns'. It's produced by a TV station in the Okanogan in BC. Talks about just that and about real people and places. A lot of folks from back east here and even the eastern US went out there, made big profits , then lost some or all of it in a span of a very few years. One interesting place was the Slocan, where it had the highest concentration of silver ore in the world. It's not the biggest volume of silver ever, but the concentration in the rocks was the richest. Little stuff like that interests me more than watching someone on video making believe his life is in danger.  I appreciate everyone's interest in those survivor or big brother type shows, but it makes my skin crawl. I know Survivorman is a little different, but the same theme. ;) I don't even understand the fascination of CBS with all those grisly cop shows. What ever happened to Star Trek, Grizley Adams, and Carol Burnette?  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!