iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have to replace my Husky 51 (it grew legs) >:(

Started by MichaelS, September 12, 2007, 09:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelS

Loved that saw, bought it around 1990 and can't recall even changing the spark plug, and it never let me down. I see they don't make the 51 any longer, so the saws closest to it appear to be the 350 and 353. The 353 is ~ $50 more, what's the difference between the 2 and is it worth more $$?

What would the equivalent Stihl saw be, and would you guys recommend one over the other? Options to get / avoid?

I cut 5 - 10 cords of firewood / yr. I want a light weight saw like the 51, can't overwork the back.

Thanks in advance, Michael

jackpine

I can't tell you the differences between the 350 & 353 but I have the 353 and really like the saw. I believe the 353 is classified as a "semi-pro"  model while the 350 is considered a "homeowners" model, whatever that means. The 353 has suprising power for it's size and is light enough to use all day. I bought it to use as a limbing saw as my 372 gets heavy holding it up to limb or trim. Now i find myself using the 353 much more than I had planned and the 372 sits and waits to be used as the felling and bucking saw only on large trees.
I think you would be very happy with a 353.

Bill

sawguy21

The 350 is closest to your former saw and is great for the home owner. Light, good power, and will probably out last you. The 353, one of my favourites, is a faster and stouter unit designed for the pro, it is popular with silviculture crews. The Stihl equivalent to the 350 is the MS270. The 353 does well against the MS260.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cut4fun

For the size saw you are looking at I would look at a Dolmar 5100S. It is one strong saw in that class and is usually $389-$409 and is a pro quality saw.
But I would only do this if you have a decent Dolmar dealer close or you know how to order parts and work on your own saws. Dolmar dealer network is a Little bit of a dark cloud.
I have a Dolmar dealer 12 miles from me and wanted a new updated 2007 carb cover for a 7900, I even had the part number, mind you. He still said he didn't show that part and couldnt help me. So I called a super great Dolmar dealer in NY and had my part in 3 days.

jokers

Quote from: Cut4fun on September 13, 2007, 02:14:59 PM
I have a Dolmar dealer 12 miles from me and wanted a new updated 2007 carb cover for a 7900, I even had the part number, mind you. He still said he didn't show that part and couldnt help me. So I called a super great Dolmar dealer in NY and had my part in 3 days.
Why did you want an updated carb? Choke shaft issues? Something else?

Cut4fun

Read closer to my post, not carb, (carb cover) has a pre-filter screen built in cover.

jokers

Quote from: Cut4fun on September 14, 2007, 01:23:23 PM
Read closer to my post, not carb, (carb cover) has a pre-filter screen built in cover.
Gotcha! I read right over the cover part.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum MichaelS.I feel both Husky and Stihl make good saws.I run a husky just because of the dealer.My first saw was a Stihl.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 12, 2007, 10:59:47 PMThe Stihl equivalent to the 350 is the MS270. The 353 does well against the MS260.

I've got the Stihl MS270c and it is an awesome saw.  I use mine pretty heavily and am starting to think about a bigger saw but we'll see.  I like the 270 because it is light/versatile enough to do pretty much anything and it never blinks an eye about it.

rebocardo

> What would the equivalent Stihl saw be

Probably the Husky 350 = MS-250, Husky 353 = MS-270.

I bought the MS-250 because it "felt" lighter then the other three and still ran the 18" bar, I use it mostly for limbing.

> I cut 5 - 10 cords of firewood

I would lean towards the MS-270 for the power (10 cords is no small amount)  because the way local dealers are dropping Husky, there may not be a local dealer to service the Husky in 3 years.

arojay

What's the trouble with dealers and Huskys all about?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

sawguy21

The dealers are getting pithed because Husqvarna seems to be paying too much attention to Lowes and the Great Orange Menace a.k.a Home Depot. The support is going south. We were recently informed they are closing the B.C. warehouse and we will be served from Alberta. I am a big fan of their saws and brush cutters but if they do not improve their support we may be forced to re evaluate our dealership. Dolmar is converting a number of regional dealers.

rebocardo

I think one of the things is having Lowes, HD, and mail orders places selling the saws and then having to do the warranty work on saws sold by others, amoung other things.

snowman

I just bought one of those little Domars cut4fun was talking about. I decided slashing and thinning with my big falling saws, Husky 395 and 288 was stupid. Anyway, I love it! I can't believe the RPMs and power.They told me it would pull a 24 inch bar but I was scepticle and opted for a 20 inch. After running it a week I believe it can easily handle a 24. I was going to buy a husky rancher but the husky dealer told me they were junk now, not anything like the old rancher.They said they were now stocking this little dolmar because huskys small saws were not worth buying. Anywas, just my 2 cents. :)

arojay

Well I really like my Huskys(335,365's,372,570,385 and 394) so this bit of info is just another reason to dislike the big box mentality.  I've heard nothing but good about the Dolmars, but no dealer at the present.  My closest Husky dealer is also a Honda and Ski-doo dealer and they have trouble keeping a dedicated chainsaw guy who knows more than I do, but they are more than good with warranty issues.  Stihl dealer is no better IMO(just learned what that means!). 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

rebocardo

> Probably the Husky 350 = MS-250

Just wanted to correct this. I tested a Husky 350 with a 16" bar against the MS-250 with a 18" bar, both with very sharp chains and throwing the proper chips. Though the Stihl feels like it was faster, the Husky 350 beat it hands down cutting 12" maple in a side by side test in the same log. A 16" chain on the Stihl would not have made much of a difference, oh well  ???   :D

cheyenne

Could it be husky dealers get no parental support and then get the big box stores shoved down thier throat! and then if that's not bad enough, my dealer can go to napa and buy sta-bil and oil cheaper than he can from his distributor. Corp. thinking---Volume---Not the commercial customer who cuts trees 7 days a week. Will Husky be the next one on the bailout list.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

sawguy21

rebocardo, the Stihl MS250 is 45cc, same as the Husky 345. The 350 has a little more punch.

Thank You Sponsors!