iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log lifter

Started by iffy, September 12, 2007, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

Gittin up high enough on my walls now that the logs are getting pretty difficult to wrassle. Tried setting them in place with my 4020 JD with a 10' boom on the forks. That worked ok, except I was using a web sling around the log and I'd have to put a scrap of 2 x on the wall to set the log on so I could get the sling out. Didn't want to use pointed log tongs, as these logs are smooth enough to finish as is.
Soooo - rainy day comes along and I dug thru the scrap pile and stuck together these tongs. Am using them mostly on 9", but have a few 10" and a couple of 12" to lift, so I made them for 12" capacity max. It looked so pretty when I got it done, I grabbed a can of spay paint without a label (turned out to be ford blue) and gave it a finish. Should have left it rusty. Now every log I pick up has some blue on it to sand off. Oh well, it works good anyway.

Then, in keeping with the theory that even a blind hog finds an occasional acorn, I was setting in the cafe at breakfast the next day and discussing with another shade tree mechanic how I was going to drop a 12" dia support post 18' long thru a 12" hole in the floor in the exact center of the house without spending a fortune on a crane. We came up with several theories, most of which had a pretty good chance of serious damage to person or log. A local retired dirt contractor said "why don't you use a boom truck?" I told him I would, but didn't know how to make on appear. He said "why don't you use mine"? Didn't know he had one. Said he bought it surplus from the city a number of years back and keeps it around for guys like me and to change the flag on his runway flagpole. A quick trip later, and I was herding a 60's era 2 ton truck with a bucket boom on it down the road (after I changed his flag for him). Hung the new log lifter off the boom, run the boom from the truck bed, and I'm settin logs agin.
Guess the lord does take care of fools and children. Wife says I'm both.

Furby

Be REAL careful with that boom truck even with small logs.
They aren't designed to carry a lot of weight and as you've learned, even small logs are heavy!

iffy

Yeah, its only good for around 400 - 500 lbs before the hydraulic override kicks in. Doing all my lifting over the back of the truck and not walking around under the logs. I'm mostly setting 9" wall logs.

sawguy21

Quote from: iffy on September 12, 2007, 04:28:54 PM
Doing all my lifting over the back of the truck and not walking around under the logs.
Really good idea. :D I got bonked unloading concrete guard rails, thank goodness for the hardhat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!