iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ever feel the need to speed???

Started by IMERC, September 11, 2007, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

Here is an interesting link that covers the whole country compliments of Rancher...

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Furby

Interesting site! :)
I only took time to check out MI right now, but I can see there isn't a lot of "recent" info on traps there.
Also, lots of folks have no clue as to what they are talking about as some of the areas they describe are several towns away, or totally different highways then they posted.
Having said that, there are several that I saw that are 100% correct, even as old info. :)

IMERC

posted this on another site...
consensous is it is fairly accurate country wide..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Furby

Just check IN and my opinion stands.
I travel these routes all the time, it's how I make my living. :)

inspectorwoody

Just checked the site and was suprised to see my hometown on there!  :D

Right on the money too.  ;D

sawguy21

Did you find them the expensive way? :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

Yea, I have seen that site before.

In the FWIW category, in GA it is more like a moron trap vs. speed trap. Though I-285 in GA is 55 mph, it's average speed is something like 85 mph in the fast lane most times of the day.

I decided to check this one out, because I have seen the police there

LINK

Then check out this guy under comments " I was ticketed doing 65 there"

Yea, the highway speed limit is 55, the exit/offramp is 45 as stated on the site, and you are doing 65 down the street from a police station!  MORON :D

In GA they have a state law against speed traps, only the most moronic or worse drivers get speeding tickets, imho. You have to be 10 mph or better over the posted speed limit and the state law nixes local speed traps unless you are stupid enough to speed where the sign says "Warning Speed Detection Devices in Use" and you have to be 5? mph over the limit at that.

Furby

LINK
The ONLY way you can get busted here is if you are too busy doing something other then driving, and in that case you earned the ticket. :)
This turn around is in a wide open area in a very narrow median.
As stated the highway crosses a stream just East of there and there are some barriers, but this is all about 1/2 a mile + away and at no time has the guard rails or barriers been painted, let alone black and white. ::)

There is no metion of the true speed trap about 1.5 miles up the road at the next exit, or the one about 3 or 4 miles the other way.
Those are indeed speed traps where the cops are hiding and picking folks off.
But if you are breaking the law (speeding), is it really a trap?

rebocardo

> But if you are breaking the law (speeding), is it really a trap?

I call it effective law enforcement in preventing deaths and do not consider it a trap.

Especially with the speed trap law in GA. You have to be grossly and knowingly breaking the law or a real wise mouth jerk to get a speeding ticket for anything less then 10 mph over the speed limit in all but inner city and school zones.

Dan_Shade

speed traps do nothing to slow down traffic or make it safer, what they do is put money on the books.  it's a sucker tax that raises your insurance.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

But YOU have the choice to pay that sucker tax by NOT speeding!
I'd call it an idiot tax if you are using that mind set.

Dan_Shade

traffic speed differences cause accidents.  driving 55mph on the Washington, DC beltway is much more dangerous than driving 70 on it.

speeding tickets are BS.  around here they like to give them out on sunday mornings when traffic is light.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Exactly, when traffic is light, it's eaiser for them to see who going faster then the rest AND get out and stop them safer.
If you are moving the same speed as surrounding traffic, the odds of you getting stopped are a lot slimmer.
They are watching for the folks weaving in and out of traffic trying to blow by everyone else.
Not to say they don't pull over Joe Blow who's riding in a pack, but the odds are smaller.
Normally they pick off the tail guy of a pack, probly someone that was speeding to catch up.

I'm fully aware that differences in traffic speeds are dangerous.
Up until about a year ago, the truck speed limit in MI was 55 mph, while passenger vehilces were allowed 70 mph.
As a truck driver, I know how dangerous that is.
MI is now at 60 trucks and 70 cars, but that's still too big of a difference.
OH and IL are the only two states still at 55 mph for trucks.
Most states allow trucks 65-70+.

Dan_Shade

personally, i think reckless driving is the only thing that should be ticketed.

55 in a 40 when you're the only car on the road is not "dangerous".  Especially where I live with nice, straight, and flat roads with wide shoulders.

PineNut

Traffic laws should say what they mean and mean what they say. A few years ago, the police chief in Brookhaven, MS said they wanted the traffic to flow at 35 mph so they posted it at 30 mph. Now if the cop wants to, he can give you a ticket when you are driving the speed they want the traffic to flow.

Furby

55 in a 40 is considered reckless driving in a lot of areas.
It's not always ticketed as such, but can be if they choose to.
It is dangerous as there are other people that use the roads then just cars.
Some you can't see even on a straight flat road until you are too close at that speed to do anything about.

Sorry Dan, I'm not a fan of people with a metality such as you've posted.
I speed, we all do, but knowing when enough is enough goes a long way.
5 over on a limited access highway is one thing.

PineNut, if that was the case, there would be little to no margine of error.
A large portions of curves carry a design of something like 20mph over the speed limit.
Meaning the speed limit is set 20 mph under the maximum speed that curve can handle.
I don't have the exact numbers handy, but you get the idea.
It's a fail safe so to speak, because human nature as Dan has posted, don't like to follow the rules.
Most traffic laws do say what they mean, it's the room for discretion that you are seeing.
That along with common sense has gone out the doors these days, don't speed up the loss of those things. ;)

Tom

If some of you don't think there is such a thing as a speed trap, you are either naively youthful or don't get out much.  Not getting a ticket for going 10 miles over the limit is a gracious policeman, not a gray area in the law.

I can take you to towns in Georgia and Florida alike and  watch you sign tickets until you run out of ink. I could also wait while you go see the magistrate to pay the fine instead of thinking that you were going to mail it in too.  Night court wasn't something learned from NYC.

It doesn't have to be a blatant show of force with a bunch of local yocals standing in line for the next "speeder", though I can show you some places on I-95 where that takes place also.  When you are local, you learn of the times of year when the Feds prompt the locals for proving they are controlling speed or lose their highway funds.  You best not go one single mile an hour over the limit during these times.

You can also be surprised by judicially placed signs that will have you burning flat spots on your tires trying to get from 65 to 55 to 25 in the space of a city block when haven't even realized that you are in town yet.  When you live close by, you learn and still get caught.  When you are visiting or just passing through, you are dead meat.  They don't have to get them all, they are happy to just be able to get another one when they are ready.  It's the same kind of production as feeding cants through a resaw. If you keep them jammed up butt to butt, you cut a lot of wood.

If you want to stay ticket free, and drive around here, you are better off driving 5 miles under the limit than trying to get by with 5 miles over the limit.  It also behooves you to put the sandwich, coffee and cell phone down and pay attention. You might have to be quicker on the brake than you would be in other towns.

PineNut

Tom's description of law enforcement is right on in Louisiana. Also that 35 mph speed limit sign may be hidden behind some bushes that were very conveniently not pruned. It pays to keep your eyes open and stay within the speed limit.

james

Oregon and California also have 55mph for trucks 70 for cars in california and 65 for cars in Or
>:( >:(  james

Furby

You are right James, I forgot about those two, my mistake. :)

farmerdoug

I trust the truckers on the road more than I trust the other drivers at times. ;)  Cell phones are a good way to get in a mess in a hurry on the road for some drivers. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Furby

Quote from: Tom on October 18, 2007, 04:13:46 PM
If you want to stay ticket free, and drive around here, you are better off driving 5 miles under the limit than trying to get by with 5 miles over the limit.  It also behooves you to put the sandwich, coffee and cell phone down and pay attention. You might have to be quicker on the brake than you would be in other towns.

Quote from: Tom on October 18, 2007, 11:22:01 AM
Then, on to Fargo, a bustling city of about 300 souls.  Ga. 94 takes a zig-zag there and I got lost.  It was DanG's fault.  I had been without communications since entering the swamp and called him when I reached US 441 to see how his trip was going.  He and Olen had gotten a late start too and I was to meet them at the campground in Moultrie.  I got so enthused with talking over the phone that I turned west about a hundred feet too soon and ended up in a loggers driveway.  Trying to hold my composure, I told Dan what I had done and couldn't help but laugh at myself, all weekend, for getting lost in Fargo.

:-X ::)
BeenThere. ;)

Ron Wenrich

I don't trust truckers anymore.  There are a lot of them that just can't drive.  We're in a trucking corridor where a lot of interstates intersect.  We have garbage haulers from NY and NJ that flat out fly.  Posted speed is 65 and I've seen trucks doing 80-85.  Lane change involves turning on the turn signal and over they come.  I work for truckers and they don't trust truckers.   :D

I don't see too many speed traps.  But, I'm one of those guys that don't get out much .  We don't have too many local cops anymore.  The state has pretty well kept them out of the speed trap business by keeping radar out of their hands.  So, they don't have the finances to keep them on board.   Too many roads for all the state cops to patrol.  Besides, there's always a NJ driver that wants to do 85 that is running interference for you.   :D

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!