iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another band sharpener question..

Started by Bodger, September 11, 2007, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodger

Greetings, I've been reading and watching for a while and this is a good site for serious sawing questions.  I just rebuilt my WM band sharpener after over 12 years of constant use.  All I really did was replace the brushes in the motor that drives the stone.  After putting it back together I checked the tracking of the stone and found  almost a 64th of run out to the outside of the stone.  I put on a new rock and had the same reading.  Now, I never checked it before and don't know if I has always been that way or if this is something new.  I did try and shim the stone but without much success.  I hate the idea of having to purchase a new sharpener but dislike having to send them out to sharpen.  Have any of you checked yours for this?
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

LeeB

I never checked mine per say, but I'm pretty sure it was there. I could rotate the stone by hand and it wouldn't touch the blade, turn on the motor and it would touch lightly. I don't think it would really make a whole lot of difference unless it was really bad.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

I'm with LeeB, I don't think that little runoutwill make any difference. It's not really a precision piece of machinery. But if it bugs you, pull the motor apart and take the armature to a machine shop. 15 minute job on a lathe.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gmmills

If your grinding wheel motor has good bearings in it the runout is caused by the grinding wheel . Remove the grinding wheel and check for runout on the face of the arbor. If the wheels are out really bad the water in the coolant tray will have small waves in the surface as the motor is running.  I buy my grinding wheels 6 at a time from WM. Some will run very smooth.  Over the past 2 years the quality control of the wheels has been improved considerably.

I have found that the hook angle can be altered with a fair amount of runout. Set your grinder for a 10 deg hook angle and the sharpened blade may only have a 9 deg hook angle.  You may even gain a deg from 10 to 11.   
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Thank You Sponsors!