iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping wooden planes in fine fettle, need some help.

Started by Dave Shepard, September 09, 2007, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I am working on a half-lap mortise, and it is too narrow for a Steel type rabbet plane. I have a No. 6 (3/4") wooden rabbet that I sharpened. I know that to set and release the iron, you have to tap on the ends of the plane with a mallet, but I can't seem to get it tight enough to keep the adjustment. Also, how do you maintain the desired depth of cut whilst whacking away with said mallet? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

I'm interested to see if anyone has any responses to this.  I don't have any wooden planes, but they're on my wish-list.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Don P

I've got a small length of 3/4 or so brass square stock that I use to tap stuff I'm not supposed to, it has encountered the back of a plane iron  :-X ;D

Daren

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 09, 2007, 08:20:25 PM
Also, how do you maintain the desired depth of cut whilst whacking away with said mallet? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

You should not have to do much more than tap the wedge unless something is wrong with the plane. It should just be lightly tapped to lock the iron in place and a couple more firmer taps to make it hold fast. Is it worn out? Stick a couple paper matches in with the wedge (I don't know, that is what I would do if it is too loose and the iron is backing out and did not want to take the time to fix it) I am going to post some picture of wooden plane I made in another thread.

I keep getting interrupted by customers (not complaining). Until I start that thread here are a couple pictures. Honeylocust and walnut

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Daren

Quote from: TexasTimbers on October 18, 2007, 04:59:26 PM
Daren show the maple one too.

OK, but I don't want to highjack this thread. I have many pictures.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!