iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strata-Various

Started by Bibbyman, April 14, 2003, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Often I've looked at our sawdust pile and seen art.  It hasn't rained in about a week and the wind came up today.  I tried to capture the 3D painting in photo but it really does not do it justice.

Oak,  ERC, oak, walnut, oak, walnut and then oak again on top.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Neil_B

Should blow that up and frame it. Certainly a work of nature.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

EZ

Pretty cool, Bibbyman.
EZ

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Reminds me of the sand ledges at Zion National Park.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV_hillbilly

Bibbyman I thought you were a sawyer not an artist. It kind of reminds me of the little bottles of colored sand we made in art class when I was a youngin. Pretty artistic  way to go!!
Hillbilly

Haytrader

Does anyone besides me see a face in the ERC dust?
Haytrader

Bibbyman

Glad to see y-all like works of nature too.  Here is another from a different angle - maybe better.

Reminds me of Sadona, AZ.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

Very nice saw dust art.

I realize top honors will go your way ;), but maybe I have a chance for runner up ::)

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

DanG

Yeah, I see it too, Hay. Looks a little like a really happy Arkansawyer, with lipstick and a party hat.  :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

Some sand gardens are done that way, with color.  Perhaps a Haiku is in order for you budding artists.

Sawdusts rests quiet
      With woods of many colors
               The twig grows slowly
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

ElectricAl,

Looks like you need some variation in your sawmill diet.  Red oak sawdust?
Sawing since '94

hydeoutman

Maybe you guys should start framing your sawdust between two panes of glass like the sand frame I had growing up. Or just selling it as art. :D :D :D

OneWithWood

Hay and DanG, I see Arky and a large eagle's head, beak on, off to the right.
 :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

I see an inside-out Chocolate covered cherry

Minnesota_boy

I see that someone needs to take a shovel and move that pile of sawdust out of the way. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bud Man

I believe I've spotted some endangered species of termites and am afraid I'm going to have to report this to the EPA- please post your address so I can give them directions and don't dare touch this pile of dust and commence sawing operations immediately !!!!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

Our photo was Walnut, just a little contrast.

After 38 straight days of sawing Walnut we got a chance to plane 1500' of Cherry and Red Oak.

Normaly we blow all saw dust and planer shavings into a trailer for the nieghbor's horses.
But you know,
Horses plus Walnut saw dust equales lawsuit :o
We did not want to clean out the saw dust bunker, put the trailer in just for a dab of shavings. We have about 5,000 feet of Walnut to do still.

But it's a good thing we have dry planer shavings on top of the pile. That way when the EPA show up, I'll tell them Termites need moist wood product, got the wrong facility. ;D

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

hydeoutman

Electric Al: please excuse me for what may be a foolish question, but I do not know anything about horses other than what I see on the Western Channel. We had a dairy farm without the hayburners. You stated that walnut saw dust is detrimental to the beast, if so why I would be glad to learn something new today.

hydeoutman

DanG

Yep, HO- man!  Nags and Walnut don't mix too well. Those pore horses who have to live in stalls get bored and usually munch on their bedding. If they ingest a bunch of walnut shavings, they do unseemly things, like CROAK.  This is not deemed, by the horse-loving community, to be a positive thing, and they tend to sue the supplier of the "clean" shavings. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

hydeoutman

Thanks DanG: I did not know, I knew they would eat oats until they bloated, they don't know when to quit I guess.
They don't eat other wood chips or saw dust that would cause any problems. Thanks again.

Jeff

I'm enjoying these pictures, I would like to get involved but aspen on aspen is not a very unique picture unless you can get the farmers daughter in the shot somehow.  :)

DanG

Aww, just jump on in there, Jeff. Chunk a pine knot, or maybe a little blue stain in for color, now and then. If that don't work, just include the farmer's daughter, and we'll learn to live with it. ;D

beenthere

Hydeoutman

Here is a site that tells about horses and walnut sawdust.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/courses/as625/1999term/boyer/horse1.html

also

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant45.htm

Good information to know if you make a lot of sawdust, and saw some walnut, and have a sawdust user who has horses.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

I was under the impression that walnut sawdust is not good for ANY animal, not just horses   :-/

cut2size

I, too was under the impression that walnut shavings could hurt other animals than horses.  It is my understanding that walnut shavings carry a growth inhibiting hormone.  Horses' hooves absorb this and there wellbeing suffers immensely.  I used walnut shavings for dog bedding once for a young labrador pup.  Even though her parents were normal sized(between 80 and 120 lbs), my pup only got to 45lbs.  When I researched the internet for the cause of her failure to reach adult size, I found that walnut trees produce jugulens (sp) that contain GIH.  This keeps neighboring trees from overshadowing the walnut.  I don't know if that is the true reason for my dog's small stature, but it does seem reasonable.  I will never use walnut shavings for any animals bedding.
David
cut2size

Bibbyman

I try to expose you guys to a little art and you turn the topic to science.  

I wonder if a little of that walnut sawdust would spice up some grits?  Hickory?  Maple?  How about cherry? ???

Around here, most of our wild cherry has went up in smoke or rotted in dozer piles because people had the notion that the leaves would hurt/kill cows and or horses.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Hydeoutman,

Walnut toxicity is a very important topic for mill owners.

This is very evident by the quick response by the great knowledge base here at the FF ;)

Did you get all of your questions answered?

Bibbyman,

You should feel honored to have started a post that lead to such an important side topic ;D

ElectricAl

ohsoloco

Yeah, but Bibbyman still managed to bring up food  ::) :D

Oak sawdust would make em a little spicy and tangy  ;)

OneWithWood

Bib, didn't we jsut recently have a thread on the toxicity of decaying cherry leaves and sawdust - something along the lines of forming cyanide gas?
I am glad to know this new info about black walnut.  I expect to be sawing both black cherry and black walnut in the not too disant future.  Now I know to keep the sawdust separated from the other stuff!
Sure did like the art lesson also 8)
This sure is a classy forum 8) 8) ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

We got out very early this morning and sawed some cherry.  Took the camera along and get this picture of the sawdust pile.

Cherry on top of walnut.
Sawing since '94

Wade

Bibby,
If you would crop out the background, it would look
like someone wandering aimlessly in the desert :D :D
Is that steam rising rising off the pile? Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

Thank You Sponsors!