iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing Pine pitch

Started by John_Haylow, September 09, 2007, 07:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I was wondering what is the best solution to remove pine pitch from ones mill? It seems to get built up on the control panel, blade guards, and bunks.

Thanks,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Hoodoo

You could try using alcohol. I use it occasionally to remove pitch from furniture. I've also heard that charcoal lighting fluid works.

MartyParsons

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pappy

I keep pump spray bottles ,, like the windex or grill cleaner ones in both the mill and wood shop with kero in them and use a rag... Works fer me...  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

DanG

Since the advent of RustReaper, pine pitch is the ONLY reason I keep WD40 around.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pappy

DanG,
WD40 will work to remove the sticky under them sticky labels too  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

ohsoloco

If I'm getting in the shower and notice some pine sap on me, I take the bottle of rubbing alcohol from the medicine cabinet in the shower with me.  Paint thinner works really well also.  Back when I still had the mill set up at my parents' place I recall wiping down their kitchen floor with a rag soaked in paint thinner because I had a gob of sap stuck to the bottom of my boot  ::)

Dave Shepard

Any tips for getting pitch out of your shirt? I have a nice crust built up on a couple of Ts from carrying sticky slabs off the mill.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

If it's fresh, pine-sol will take the pitch off your clothes.
Just dab a little on the pitch and let it set for a bit, then wash.
Old crusty build up may be there for good if the shirt has been through the dryer, but it sometimes will still come off.

dail_h

Try an ice cube and blunt edged knife on the old crusty
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

JSNH

I would use dirt to stop my hands from being sticky in the woods. So I would have a build up of pine pitch and dirt by the end of the day. I used all kinds of nasty solvents that sorta worked then I tried goop hand cleaner the normal stuff you find everywhere. it pull it all off, no fire hazzard, no stink, just clean. On clothes it pulls the fresh stuff off on the machine I don't know how it would work. The stull works better than you would believe.

solodan

Mayonnaise  will take it right off your skin. :) Actually the vegetable oil in the mayo is what works, but mayo is not as messy as pouring oil all over the place. ;D

Tom

You can make hamburger patties and it will  take the tar off of your hands.   It works real good on Oil and Grease too.  That way your hands are nice and clean, fingernails and all, when you take the hamburgers to the table.   Nobody will every guess you've been working hard in the woods all day. :P :)

Jim_Wahl

Yes, but then don't you have to rinse the hamburgers off in gasoline or something. I don't
suppose it would make too much difference whether you did that before or after frying them.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

rewimmer

Hello John,
Seems you have all of the answers for removing it. I can give you an idea as how to keep it off your mill once you have it clean. I spray any area on my mill that gets pitch on it with Pam. I spray under the guards, rails, etc. If you do get a little build up, just wipe it off with a wet paper towel. Sam's sells the large spray cans and it does not take much. I have to spray my mill when the dogs are not around because they like to lick the spray off.
Also works great in the winter time to keep the ice and snow from building up under my horses feet.
Hope this helps,

Robert in Virginia

John_Haylow

Thank you all for your tips.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

thecfarm

When I was cutting fir for logs and pulp I would wash my clothes in Tide as soon as I got home.I used the powder and would wash my clothes on the largest amount of water for one shirt and pants.Use the amount for a big load.That goop I really like.I can keep it and it does not seperate or get runny.I buy it in a squeeze bottle and I really like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fstedy

Try turpentine thats what its made from Pine Sap.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Thank You Sponsors!