iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any hit and miss enthusiasts out there?

Started by low_48, September 08, 2007, 09:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

My wood turning club is doing more outdoor demonstrations all the time. After going to Mt. Pleasant this year, I got the idea of running my mini-lathe with a little hit and miss. Maybe a Maytag? I tried a cordless (treadle), but I'm just not that talented. Never could pat my head and rub my belly :D

farmerdoug

A friend of mine has a garage full of them.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Yes, I am but my interest has had to move aside for now as I have other more pressing interests. I do however still have my baby.  :)

http://www.hit-miss.com/gallery/jeffsengine/DSC00986

I also host Forestry Forum member Harold's site on the Forestry FOrum sever where the above photo is located.  www.hit-miss.com
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tim L

I just went to a show in Dublin NH for old hit and miss . I have gone for a dozen years or so .Today there was a blacksmith that impressed me . I wish I had the time money and talent to do that .
Do the best you can and don't look back

scgargoyle

I've got several- A Fairbanks-Morse Z, an International LB, and a little model one I built from a casting kit. They all run, when I've got the time and patience to mess with 'em.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Dave Shepard

Tim, I wish I had known you were going to be there, my father went today, and I could have gone up with him.

I have an interest in the hit and miss engines, but I have a lot going on at the moment, so not much time for that. We have a couple of the small, newer IHs, I think LAs, and an LB, if that sounds right. We had an Edwards1½-6HP twin cylinder ignitor. A very rare engine. We traded it in "sitting for fifty years" condition to my plumber to plumb our addition. I know it has a good home, there are a bunch more there. He is working on a 20HP Famous right now, very cool engine. He just finished a side-shaft Domestic that came out great. He had to machine a bunch of parts on his Bridgeport, so he was happy. :D

There are some brands of little one-lungers that are quite common, and could be had quite cheaply.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

low_48

So maybe I should have asked a couple more questions. What size should I look for? Any specific recommendations on brands, do you have any for sale, would it even be feasible to run a wood lathe, just any help at all.  Thanks.

Dave Shepard

Maybe a throttle governed instead of a hit and miss? A hit and miss won't maintain as steady an rpm unless it is under an even load, a throttle governed is more rpm sensitive, and may work better for a light load like a wood lathe. A throttle governed engine runs with a steady putt-putt-putt, a hit and miss will fire, and then it will coast until the rpms drop low enough and then it will fire again, although with a steady load, they, too, will fire in a more consistant fashion. I hope I explained this right.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bro. Noble

The 1 1/4 hp are the most common of the watercooled engines and should be big enough to run a lathe.  The enclosed single flywheel engines like the International LA should be about the least expensive.  If it were me ,  I'd go for the double flywheel,  exposed crank,  hit-and -miss governor because they are more interesting to watch and to listen to.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Dave Shepard

Tim L, blacksmithing is easier and cheaper to get into than most people think. There are people in Africa beating out rudimentary tools with two rocks and a fire. ;) I demonstrate smithing at Hancock Shaker Village, it is a lot of fun. You need a fire, an ASO (anvil shaped object) a hammer, and a scrap of steel you want to pound into something useful. Other than that, it is just practice.

Dave

Tim L

Dave ,

I'm going to look into blacksmithing classes (not sure where yet) I would have liked to met you , I probably couldn't tell you too much about Forestall that you didn't already know. I will be at the Deerfield fair on Thursday the 27th late morning.
Do the best you can and don't look back

dail_h

Love anything old rusty greasy and noisy. Partial to diesels,and verticals. Favorite brand-----------Lister cs 12/2 If ya got one settin around in the way ,as a favor to a fellow FF member,I won't charge nothin for haulin it off for ya.Also like Fairbanks,Whitte,Gardener,Atlas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Dave Shepard

My engine friend has a Lister three cylinder 27HP. The model starts with a J, forgotten the rest,  JK maybe? I am pretty sure it was made in 1909. I like diesels myself, anyone seen a Cummins single cylinder? I haven't.

Dave

dail_h

Dave,
   There's a guy goes to the Rough n Tumble in PA every year with a Cummins in the back of a Dodge truck. Disremember the# of cylinders though
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!